• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buck67

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2013
    I'll post this here and elsewhere so it gets seen. Marion County Fish and Game will have their monthly blackpowder muzzleloading shoot this weekend. Saturday at 10AM. The range is open to non-members who want to compete in this event. There is a nominal fee to shoot that is charged to members and non-members alike. Although we have never had anyone show up with an inline, as long as you can shoot it offhand, iron sights only and it loads from the front then you can shoot it. Bring your smokepole and shoot the gongs at 25 yards and 50 yards with the rest of us. First place gets bragging rights.

SeaseFire

Plinker
    Sep 26, 2012
    Plainfield
    I think a muzzleloader section would be great. A lot of the guys I hunt with have muzzleloaders and I have been thinking about purchasing one myself, but don't know nearly what I would like to about them. I vote yes!

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    So update on the Thompson Center .50 JM Gunsmithing was able to get the bullet out. was not recognizable by the time he was done with it. He had to put a "wedge" through the hole in the bullet and ground out the back of the bullet and powder. Then used a brush to grab on the bullet and pull it out.

When I called to get an update he said "oh yea, the fun one" lol. At least it makes me feel better that it was over my beginners head and not something simple I could have done easily. He did a great job with it.

I am now waiting for the next BP event so I can try this thing out. Still need to pick up some round balls, powder and a pick.

meegz

Plinker
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    Now that Fred is at Club Fed, I don't know of any dealers for White Muzzleloaders nearby. I know that name got bought out, but can't for the life of me remember the new name. MGI or MBI, something to that effect...anyways...was looking in the BP box the other day with deer season approaching, and realized I was down to ~25 bullets & sabots. I still have ~40 conicals, but prefer the sabot. Was hoping to pick up the new name of that company so I could try and find a nearby dealer, or possibly order online. Any help would be quite appreciated.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    The barrel is 17-1/4" long, 3" in diameter at the breech. 1" bore. Yep, I have fired it. Think I am going to take it off the Naval carriage and built a field carriage for it instead.
    Oh, and grind the silly dates off the breech too. They are raised so it will be easy.

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    Always a question when you don't know the maker... But such be world of field cannons.. So what loads have you shot in her so far???? I like the date molded in the barrel had to be made for the Bi-centennial..

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    IMG_20130825_105826_945_zps7ff41745.jpg
    [/IMG]

My son and I slipped into the woods this morning to spend some time together and maybe harvest a squirrel or two. The weather was about perfect, sixty degrees and a slight breeze on occasion. Within ten minutes we heard a squirrel cutting. Around here they are just starting to slowly work on walnuts. The heavy foliage of the early season allowed us to spot his movement from a distance but was hindering a clear shot as we moved in closer. I held back and let my son set up for a shot. The Grey squirrel moved away through the treetops but was still within sight so we set still and waited. About fifteen minutes later, he headed back our way. After he entered the original tree, my son raised his rifle several times trying to get a shot, with no luck.
    We spotted a second squirrel, off to our right, so I went after him. The second squirrel melted back into the treetops and after ten minutes I headed back toward my son. He was getting frustrated by this time with the squirrel still in the treetop but not offering a clear shot for the novice hunter. We agreed that whoever got a shot would take it, so I moved off to the left and set down on the ground. After a while I laid back on the ground and waited. Several minutes passed and I finally spotted the Grey squirrel high in the treetop, about thirty yards away. I thumbed back the cock on my firelock and readied for the shot. I had my right knee bent and put my left leg up on my right knee. I laid my rifle across my left leg and sighted in on the squirrels head. The squirrel paused for a few seconds and I began to squeeze the trigger. When the trigger broke, it was as if time went into slow motion. I caught the fall of the cock in my peripheral vision, saw the flash of the priming powder and heard the light report of the .36 caliber and then everything sped back up again and the squirrel was falling from the tree. He hit the ground with a thud.
    I stood up, reloaded, retrieved the squirrel and we were off again through the woods. The .36 caliber ball had hit the squirrel behind the right ear and taken the top of his skull off. We moved though some undergrowth so thick that with the muted colors of our clothing we would disappear from each others sight when we moved ten yards apart. We finally moved into some more open, old growth forest. We stopped and took a knee. The breeze was gently blowing the treetops. The sunlight filtered down through the trees and danced on the leaves. The resulting shadows played across the forest floor. Birds moved around us, going about their daily routine. Downy woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Thrushes, Cardinals and a Crow called off in the distance. A Paper wasp buzzed over my right shoulder, searching for a fly.
    Realizing we couldn't set here forever, we reluctantly got up and moved on. We hit a large ridge and glided along silently, past majestic Oaks, Ash and Maples. We passed pale Beech trees that reminded me of stoic spirits of our ancestors. The sweet smell of Sassafras, the bitter smell of wild Cherry and the pungent smell of Fall mushrooms found my nostrils. Beside our moccasins pass ferns, Nettles, Virginia Creeper, and Service berry bushes. I even found a large population of Wooly Beech Aphids that fascinated my son to no end. All to soon, we returned to our modern world but we eagerly await our next trek into the forest.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Apr 21, 2011
    ScouT6a, that sounds like a great morning. I had to work. Is that a rifle that you made?

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Pete,
    Yes Sir. That is a rifle that I built. It is a blending of a Jacob Dickert and Isaac Haines styles, both 18th century Pennsylvania gun builders. It has a 38 inch, "A" weight, .36 caliber swamped barrel and a deluxe large Siler flintlock inlet into a grade 3 Curly Maple stock, fitted with iron furniture.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    I love my flintlocks and I enjoy building them. (for myself and others) I currently own the .36 caliber, a .45 caliber and .50 caliber in rifles and a .62 caliber smoothbore fowler.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Apr 21, 2011
    I've been thinking seriously about taking the plunge into making a blackpowder rifle. I haven't decided on percussion or flintlock. Decisions, decisions...

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Well, consider that the flintlock mechanism was the best technology out there and in use for about 300 years. The percussion system began to fade away after only 40-50 years. LOL The flintlock ignition system is really superior when it comes to cleaning during use. Everything is right there. You can pick the touch hole, wipe the frizzen, knap the flint from the exterior of the lock. When a percussion system acts up, you have to start pulling off parts. A properly built rifle with a quality lock with be so close in ignition speed to a percussion lock that it would be imperceptible to even the best shooter. Plus flint material can be picked up off the ground. Never found a natural deposit of percussion caps. :0). Oh, and flintlocks are loads of fun, challenging and addictive.

Top Bottom