• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buck67

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2013
    Atalon, that wire thingy is for removing stuck patches or for cleaning a barrel with tow. It won't pull a ball.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I find that three sizes of ball puller work well. The smallest one might pull the ball, but it usually strips out instead. The next bigger size goes into the hole that was just stripped out. If that doesn't work then the biggest, lag bolt size, will pull the ball. Make sure that you have put some oil down the barrel to help the patch/ball combination slide out.
    can you give a link to where to get them, I only find what I am guessing is the small one.

spec4

Master
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol

Bought a nice used one recently. Unfortunately, I later noticed a screw missing in the trigger housing just in front of the trigger. Tried Pedersoli's web site, but can't see anything about parts. Anyone know where I can get a replacement screw and if it is safe to fire this gun without the screw? I suspect it may be a trigger adjustment screw.

Buck67

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2013
    Dixie Gunworks probably has the parts you need. Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies. If you post a photo we could see which screw is missing. If it is the one holding the front of the trigger guard on, it may also be the same (long) screw that holds the tang down. It would not be safe to fire if the tang screw is missing but it would be safe to fire if is only holding the guard on. You could probably replace the screw in the guard with one from the hardware store.

Buck67

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    SO any near by Muzzleloader shows coming in the not so near future.. I have really liked the one in Noblesville, The gun prices are pretty high..... But lots of balls and accessories that are reasonable... if not down right cheap

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy

Buck67

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2013
    Atalon, you haven't told us what kind of gun you have. Instead of melting the lead out there are a few options I will list them here in order of ease.

1) Stick an airhose on the nipple and blow it out. Or use Dixie Gunworks CO2 ball extractor Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

2) Stick a grease gun on the nipple and ooze it out (lots more clean up though) You will have to find a zerk fitting that will match your gun.

3) Take out the nipple, fill the flash channel with powder, push the powder into the bore, do it again until the powder doesn't want to go in anymore. Reinstall the nipple, put on a cap and shoot the ball out. (This will only work if there isn't any water or grease in the bore)

4) Pull the ball with screw pullers. You probably have an 8/32 or 10/32 threaded ramrod. If you are handy, get some woodscrews of different size, thread them to fit your ramrod and use them to pull the ball.

5) Pull the breech plug. Some factory guns will require removing the snail because it locks into the breech plug. So pull the nipple and the snail, if it isn't part of the breechplug. Remove the barrel from the gun and lock it tight into a vise. Mark the position of the breechplug by scribing a line from breechplug to barrel so you can reinstall the breech properly. Get a BMF wrench and remove the breechplug. Push out the obstruction, clean the barrel. Oil the breech plug threads with lithium grease or other long lasting lubricant. Reinstall breech.

I have never heard of anyone having to melt the lead out of the bore. I am not sure that I would trust a barrel after it had been subjected to that much heat.

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    Buck67; I have never heard of anyone having to melt the lead out of the bore. I am not sure that I would trust a barrel after it had been subjected to that much heat.[/QUOTE said:
    Yeah what he said, also remember you have gunpowder in there that even if wet with heat it will dry, and then can go boom...y .

I think before you melt the bullet out you want to see a gunsmith..

And to help, try JM Gunsmithing (317) 557-9705 He is on the south side of Indy.. He i fast, does quality work, And does it at such a reasonable cost some would say cheap...

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Atalon, you haven't told us what kind of gun you have. Instead of melting the lead out there are a few options I will list them here in order of ease.
    Oh, it is a Thompson Center .50 Pennsylvania Hunter percussion cap lock.

1. I really need to get a compressor so this may be possible soon.

2. yeah this sounds messy so I will use that as a last resort.

3. My friend that does French/Indian war re-enacting is warning me against the powder through the nipple hole so I am wary about that one. Plus there was oil put down the barrel a while back when the previous owns kids tried to clean it for him and when I took the nipple out it looked pretty caked with what I am guessing is the powder and oil that tried to ooze out while the rifle was stored standing up.

4. This may be an option with the wood screws. Still trying to work out how to keep the screw tight in a vise without crushing the threads to use the die on it though.

5. not sure this can be done on this rifle as I understand it. I will try to take a picture late tonight to show why and you can tell me if it is possible.

Sounds like finding muzzle loader gun smith is a better option at this point.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    And to help, try JM Gunsmithing (317) 557-9705 He is on the south side of Indy.. He i fast, does quality work, And does it at such a reasonable cost some would say cheap...

Looks like this will probably be how I go and hopefully learn some good tips from the experience.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Here is the picture of the end of the barrel.

IMAG0567_zps7de81339.jpg

Buck67

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2013
    Looks like a standard Thompson Center barrel. Does it say Thompson Center anywhere on the barrel?

Buck67

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2013
    The Thompson Center's are easy to debreech. Just make sure you make a mark to ensure that you put everything back together correctly.

maddogmech

Plinker
    Jan 22, 2013
    Hey guys I have been wanting to try the Buckhorn 209 powder, I know there have other threads about it just want up too date info. What is your take on it ? I will be shooting out of the Knight BK85. Thanks

Buck67

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2013
    Like with all the blackpowder substitute gun powders; you need to remember to clean the gun after shooting regardless of the advertising claims. Many of the substitute powders are actually faster to cause rust in a barrel than old fashioned blackpowder. Also, the substitute powders can cause rust if the gun is left loaded. So work up a load, that is accurate clean your gun after each session at the range and don't leave it loaded for a month or two during deer season.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    Hey guys I have been wanting to try the Buckhorn 209 powder, I know there have other threads about it just want up too date info. What is your take on it ? I will be shooting out of the Knight BK85. Thanks

I used BH209 in my Traditions Vortex last year for my two deer. It works as advertised. I shot the 1st from a ground blind at 110 yds, the other from a tree stand at 30 yds. My range experience was about 15 shots without cleaning. Clean it good when you get home. Left it loaded during last season but did not bring it inside from a cold enviro. That's where you get the condensation & possible rust. I also used magnum primers as I had heard others say it was hard to ignite but I had no problems.

Top Bottom