• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grizhicks

Expert
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Rev -- YES, lots of other BP options. BP is not just a muzzleloading thing; I'm a cowboy action shooters and shoot totally BP. Cap and ball pistols, BP in 45 Colt rifle and BP is shotgun shells. Remember, from the Civil War until the mid-1890's, most rounds were BP. -- Grizhicks

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Props to Old South Firearms!

I would like to post a public thanks to Old South Firearms.

I tried to order a 1851 colt navy sherriff from another co that
    didnt let you know online if something was in stock or not.

Placed an order and called them and it was on backorder 45 days.

Called Old South and was greeted by a very friendly gent that called
    Traditions and emailed me back that he could get me what I wanted
    in about 10 days.

I placed my order and got it on time.

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Also the best price I have seen on this item.

Jimmy:rockwoot:

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Sooo.... I've never owned a BP firearm before, but i figured i might as well dive in head first.

I got these:
    Left to Right:
    .31 5 shot cva
    .44 colt cva
    .45 derringer cva
    .45 cal Jukar
    .50 cal traditions
    0415121435.jpg

I can't wait to get started with these!

I'm thinking one or two of the single shots will become projects. Maybe make a new stock or two, try to make the tiggers suck less, or just polish them up a little.

Any and all advice on getting started in all theings BP is much appreciated!

Flinttim

Marksman
    Jul 2, 2011
    Flintlock not dependable ? Really ? Well , let's see. Every deer I've taken (many) has been with a flintlock. NOT ONE misfire in all those years.I shot an all day woodswalk a few years back in an all day rain. 80 shots, not misfires. None. Knowing your equipment is paramount. Not taking care of even a modern cartridge gun will cause all sorts of problems. I'm always amazed very limited experience or exposure to just about anything creates opinions based on nothing.

stationhollow

Plinker
    Oct 5, 2010
    by the river
    FRIENDSHIP NATIONAL SHOOT:welcome: coming up soon. check out the N.M.L.R.A. website. they are really trying to get the youth involved, great campsites, flea market, activities for all, come as you are and try it out. remember IF IT FEELS GOOD SHOOT IT.

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Tell me more about this Friendship shoot! Can i bring my new toys pictured above and somebody tell me how to work them properly? I can't wait to shoot these babies! I'm travelling for work, so i'm reading up everything i can about loads and safe shooting!

Wormhauler

Plinker
    Apr 13, 2012
    Tipton
    Friendship

Seancass 35 years ago I was in Friendship for a weekend. I am sure you could take your toys and somebody would help you. it is a big friendly event.

Wormhauler

Plinker
    Apr 13, 2012
    Tipton
    KY Long rifles

I have shot very few BP guns, it was some guns when i was a teenager, then later in life a 45 revolver we shot out the cylandar and quit.

Now I have inherited two KY Long rifles. Having a hard time identifying them. :dunno:
    There long, there heavy and have big bore barells.

Roger

Hunter58

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have shot very few BP guns, it was some guns when i was a teenager, then later in life a 45 revolver we shot out the cylandar and quit.

Now I have inherited two KY Long rifles. Having a hard time identifying them. :dunno:
    There long, there heavy and have big bore barells.

Roger

Any pictures? Marks or names on them?

stationhollow

Plinker
    Oct 5, 2010
    by the river
    seancass follow the signs off hiway 50 in ELROD cant use the state hiway due to last years landslide, state wont fix cause it aint a travel route to the gamblin boats. all the better i quess. pretty country, nice people, they will be tripping over each other trying to get you started and their will be supplies you can buy and matches you can shoot if you want. better join first though. good luck

Flinttim

Marksman
    Jul 2, 2011
    Bear in mind that the shoot at Friendship is "members only". They do offer a short trial membership to let you test the waters so to speak. Just go to the clubhouse inside the main gate and the ladies there will help you out. They do offer at various times during the week a "Beginner's Bench" where someone experienced will guide you thru loading and shooting. Muzzleloading contests have their own little idiosyncrasies and it's best to know them BEFORE walking up to that line the first time. Safety is RULE ONE and it always best to not having the Range Officer barking at you too much. These people are the salt of the earth but will demand safety on your part. That's why our safety record is so good.

nimrodder

Plinker
    Apr 9, 2012
    Indy
    Last January I purchased a NIB blue/black CVA Electra for $135. The gun is legal during our muzzleloader season. I've had six range sessions with the gun shooting approx 100 rounds using Goex 2F and T7 2F. I've tried 80-110 grs of both powders but have settled on 90 for its favored bullet. My gun is not a powder hog the 100-110 grain loads were very erratic and large. I've tried MMP HPH 24's and Harvester EZ load sabots and got the best groups with the Harvester sabots. I've tried 348gr PB's, 300gr FPB's both shot erraticaly producing some good groups but most were in the 2.5" or larger range. Shot .452 300gr Gold Dots, 300gr XTP's, 250gr XTP's, 260gr PT Golds and 250gr Barnes MZ Expanders. Right now my go to load for this gun is 90grs T7 2F with the Barnes and Harvester sabot.

The battery goes in the pistol grip. According to the manual it should last 500 shots mine lasted 90.
    045.jpg

The on and off switch is behind the trigger guard.
    036.jpg

This is the safety. When the LED flashes once per second the gun is charged. It takes 20-30 seconds for the gun to recharge.
    035.jpg

I mounted a Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 scope in Warne rings. The gun came with a one piece Durasight base already installed.
    033.jpg

032.jpg

CVA says you should clean the face of the bp after every five shots. I never cleaned the face until I was done shooting for the day. Never had a hangfire with Goex or T7. The trigger is very good one of the best IMO. Using Sabotloaders tape trick on the plug made removal very easy even after 25 T7 shots.

This is 3 shots at 100 yards with 90grs T7 2F 250gr Barnes MZ with a EZ load sabot. Its the best 100 yard group I've ever shot.
    039.jpg

This is more typical of what I get with that load at 100 yards. The smaller holes are from my .270 Win.
    040.jpg

042.jpg

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    I'm sure that most "Black Powder Shooters"are aware of the matches held at Friendship,In--------and several clubs hold monthly matches(fcvcc.org)Fall Creek Valley C.C. (third Sunday)--------but were you aware of the "Black Powder Cartridge Matches"at Friendship?????(third Sat and Sun)--Chickens at 200 meters,Pigs at 300 meters,Turkeys at 385 meters,and Rams at 500 meters----------the 200 meter chickens are shot "offhand"----the rest, cross-sticks can be used----nothing off a bench...some of the calibers used,38-55,40-70 SS,45-70,45-90,45-110,50-90---some shoot originals,most shoot replicas--"lots of "Pedersoli"replica firearms
    Be very careful------it is very addictive

Tom,in Anderson
    Like a Shiloh Sharps,moulds,dies,more powder***,,etc,etc

walkercolt

Plinker
    Aug 31, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    I'm pretty new to this forum, but I'm sure a blackpowder forum would do ok. I have seven blackpowder firearms, would be nice to see what powder everyone is using. Scratch that, old news.

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Well, i finially went out and made smoke for the first time! Tons of fun, but a whole lot of work too! This is not the sport to do at a range that charges by the hour!

I shot my .45 and .50 pistols. As soon as i got started i realised i didn't have a way to get the powder from the 1lb tub into my powder measure! Oops! Fixed shortly by an empty .45Colt taped to the end of a .45/70! Worked well, but won't when i start to get low on powder. First shot with the .45, the two younger guys next to me just started and said something like "That was awesome! What kind of gun is that? What era is that from?" I told them it was my very first shot with the gun! I was excited that it went boom! Shot it for a bit, then tried to put a cleaning patch down the barrel and the ram rod got stuck coming out. Had to use pliers to pull it out little by little and it finally snapped right as it came out the end! So now i need a new ram rod.

I loaded up the .45 derringer and popped 3 caps on it without the charge ever firing. Tried to prime the pan with a little powder. Then it wouldn't even set off the caps. Bummer. Took it home, cleaned the nipple real good, re-capped it and it fired perfectly! bummer.

Last up was the .50 traditions. It worked like a champ all afternoon. At 25 yards, it shot as well as i can! Rested, i was around 4" group. Unrested i was throwing them in the general direction of the target!

I took them home and cleaned them as best i could, but i need a better system of getting inside from the nipple to the barrel! I need to see if there's anything i can do to make the derringer more reliable/functional!

Any and all suggestions welcome! I'll try to throw up some target pictures soon.

Also, there was a father/son next to me filming eachother shoot to look for errors. I made sure to throw some smoke in the background of every video i could for them!
    (it's the little things in life, folks! :D)

Top Bottom