• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Jan 14, 2010
    Back in November I was looking for an 1866 (Uberti) in either 44-40 or 45 Colt. One of the guys here had one for sale, and at a 'heck of' a deal. In addition to the rifle (45 Colt, 20" barrel), he included:
    • 250 rounds 45 Schofield
    • 300 45 Colt brass (new)
    • Lee dies for the 45 Schofield
    • 1500 lead bullets (Meister's: 500, 200gr RNFP; 500 250gr RNFP; & 500, 178gr SWC)
    I purchased the rifle for cowboy action shooting, and plan on shooting blackpowder, but after some reading at CAS-City, I have some questions:
    1. will these bullets carry enough lube in them to be effective in getting the barrel half-way clean?
    2. if not, and I go to big lube bullets, can I use these in 45ACP loads (target/IDPA shooting)?
    3. for CAS, how much BP do I need to use in the 45 Colt? and in the 45 Schofield?
    BTW, just need rifle loads; using 1860 Army C&B pistols.

Thanks, Greg

PS: Posting this in both the "Black Powder" thread and in the Ammo/Reloading area.

I replied in the reloading forum....

ol' poke.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I like shooting black powder I have everything but a shot gun, but have a friend trying to sell me one that he painted camo just not sure if I can clean it up or not.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Well T, what kind is it?

Purt near anything can be cleaned up... especially if it's wood and metal...

Josh

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    Hell yes this would be great. I just joined the Thundercreek Longrifles and plan on joining the cowboy shooting,,so i am looking forward to learning and researching black powder shooting.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Those folks is great down yonder.

They've been trying to talk me into attending. Just subtle hints over at Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Flintlock Musket Reenactor now and again.

You might pay that site a visit. They'd be glad to have you.

Josh
    +1 for the site. lots of helpful info and awesome craftsmanship on display.

also good to see a thread (and hopefully a subforum ;)) here on ingo. my question to put out is does anyone have any experience with a cva colorado musketmag? i bought an unfired one from an online forum in fall '09 (figured i couldn't go wrong for $75). didn't get any range time that fall- coaching hs football. daughter #2 was born feb '10, so all my extra money went to baby stuff. have daughter #3 due in july; once again discretionary income is short, but i really want to get in the woods with it this fall. so if anyone has an effective load worked up that i could use as a starting point, i would appreciate it.

the gun is kind of a hybrid- it's a sidelock with a fast twist barrel that was made to use pellet powder and sabot/powerbelt bullets. black composite stock, black barrel and hardware with fiber optic sites- it looks like a sidelock ninja gun. i do have the manual that came with it, but it seems to be cva's general sidelock percussion manual for that year so there is not much specific to this model.

sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance. this place rocks!:rockwoot:

Foxtrot

Plinker
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Black powder caps up in price?

Is I just me or is Musket caps and #11 caps went way up in price? Dixie gun works took them off there web site. Went to some sites and one was selling musket caps for $69.00 per 100 count and another was selling #11s for $45.00 100 count. Please tell me I am wrong.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Is I just me or is Musket caps and #11 caps went way up in price? Dixie gun works took them off there web site. Went to some sites and one was selling musket caps for $69.00 per 100 count and another was selling #11s for $45.00 100 count. Please tell me I am wrong.

Yes you are wrong.

Gunaria

Master
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    My new CCW

Picked up this repro President killa after the Lafayette gun show today for $50.

2j5fl00.jpg

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Nice...

Spanish Jukar lock mixed with... I can't tell what the heck kind of barrel that is. The snail isn't Spanish.

What do you have there???

Josh

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    So Has anyone here Owned/Played with A Lemat

So has anyone here shot/owned/any inside info on a Pietta lematt, That gun is working its way up my short list and did not know if there were any personal insights out there...

Mike

Last edited:

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    Fall Creek Valley C.C.(south of Anderson)(fcvcc.org)shoots BP matches the third Sunday of each month (contact info-Fred Peterson-765-378-5944).
    The "Nationals"are held at Friendship,In.(nmlra.org)

>I may have more guns than I need---but not nearly as many as I want<

nicajack

Marksman
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I bought a really nice looking flint lock Kentucky rifle a few days ago. I really know nothing about muzzle loaders because I have never owned and shot one of my own.
    I would appreciate any help from this forum on it's value and quality. It has a Douglas .32 cal barel, Russ Hall lockwork and double set triggers. Stock is beautiful tiger-striped and all the furniture is German silver. The whole rifle is in really great shape. Also got a whole can of Tom Fuller 3/4 in. flints- about 200 or so of them.
    My fishing buddy said it looked like a high-dollar rifle to him. Also that the flints were imported from England. I don't know if he was right or not. I just never had one. He has done quite a bit of deer hunting with the bigger caliber ones.
    Any help would be appreciated. I have lots of trouble posting pics on here. Haven't made it yet...John

Gunaria

Master
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Nice...

Spanish Jukar lock mixed with... I can't tell what the heck kind of barrel that is. The snail isn't Spanish.

What do you have there???

Josh

You called it. It's in 45 cal. Also pick up a Lymann deerstalker a few weeks ago. Need to go have a BP shoot day soon.:)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    MCFG is having a Traditional Muzzleloader shoot this Sat. for anyone interested. Friendly bunch, I spoke with them last month while I was helping the Scouts at the range. My son and I plan on attending. It starts at 10AM this Sat.

Top Bottom