• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Oct 21, 2012
    A guy that lives close to me wants to shoot black powder in his 45-70. It is my understanding that is how this cartage started life, as a black powder round. He is looking for black powder rounds. My questing is do any of you shoot black powder rounds and if so what do you use and how much. He plans to do this with cast bullets. I think he said 300 gr bullets. Thank you much for any information you can offer.

in625shooter

Master
    Mar 21, 2008
    The traditional black Powder charge for a 45-70 was 70 grains of 2f. Hince the 70 after the 45. Thats how they did it back in the day. 45-90 had 90 grains etc etc etc. There are several Black Powder metallic reloading data books availiable. Try googling some and you will find your info.

Reloading would be the best way since even before this madness for some reason the cowboy type loads and some with Black Powder wre still pretty expensive in the factory offerings.

Good Luck

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I reload the .45-70 with BP. I prefer 500+ grain lead bullets. Most brass will not hold 70 grains of powder anymore. Winchester brass does, most others are around 60-65 grains capacity. Reloading BP rounds is a bit detail oriented.

Russ

Plinker
    Jan 13, 2013
    Cerberus, If you load a case with a drop tube you can get a fair bit more powder in it than if you just pour it.

inlineman

Marksman
    Apr 16, 2012
    Black powder fouling is corrosive also so a good cleaning is in order after each shooting session.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Cerberus, If you load a case with a drop tube you can get a fair bit more powder in it than if you just pour it.

Yeah, that is one of the details. I drop tube, pretty much have too. I load to 70 grains because so far it gives me acceptable accuracy. Once I build up a bigger store of BP, I will experiment around with the charge and other componenets until I find the perfect combo. My 70 grain charges overflow in my Remington and Starline brass. Of course, another detail is compression and over powder cards, and bullet weight and lube and neck tension and crimp or no crimp, etc, etc, etc.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Black powder fouling is corrosive also so a good cleaning is in order after each shooting session.

BP fouling, in and of itself is not actually corrosive, it is hydroscopic, which means it draws moisture. That is what causes the corrosion. BP fouling is about the easiest stuff in the world to clean. No chemicals needed, just plain water, patches and good clean grease will keep the rifle nice and pretty.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    If you would like to see some long distance shooting with the 45-70s,45-90s,40-70SS,and other black powder ctg rifles-----Go to Friendship,In.(NMLRA)and watch the matches they have with them ---up to 500 meters...

steif

Sharpshooter
    Feb 8, 2009
    45/70bp

I also load black powder in 45/70, 45/90, 45/120, 50/70 and 50/140. I went the cheap route when starting out. I had the mould and dies, but didn't want to drop the money for a drop tube (cheapskate) so I went to the hardware store and got the brass tube they sell for bathroom sink water supplies, they have them in all kinds of different lengths. fixed that to a board with a brass funnel I salvaged from a coleman stove or lantern gas filler and it turned out great. I think it cost about 6 or 7 bucks for the supply tube. I was also lucky to find a card punch there as well, one that was made for grommet installation in tarps and such. had several different sizes, but I found one that fits perfectly. I use index cards dipped in beeswax and dried. Works for me... because its cheap.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I made my drop tube as well. Not because I'm a cheapskate, but because I'm not exactly rich. Made the custom fit funnel for it too from sheet brass. It aint pretty but it works

Top Bottom