• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    If the dark spots are not in the meat should be ok, but if its in the meat I personally wouldn't eat that part... That's just me.. I don't know what it is tho ?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think they kinda look like blood clots too... Did you "play" with them at all? What were they like? Hard to tell in the pic. It is in an odd place.

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    Nice buck....... Let's see them horns! If the spots are just in the throat no worry just make sure the meat looks good and fully cook.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    This doesn't look like a typical location for blood clots, but if so they would disintegrate easily when picked up with a gloved hand.

Do you have any pictures of the internal organs? particularly liver and lungs?

They are probably normal lymph nodes (hemal nodes), but I would want to know that the rest of the deer looked normal.

Last edited:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Lymph Nodes, be sure not to cut them. Supposedly it leads to the deer having a gamier taste if cut or left in the meat.

I saw a lot of this when perusing different techniques for cleaning and butchering deer.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    View attachment 34179View attachment 34180

His rack was not that impressing, but hoof weight was 280#.

Yeah, If you know my wife you would not be surprised that she gets a kick out of butchering game.. Many times it is her own kill she does..
    We are thinking lymph nodes.. I found another forum that posted info about how they are rare & people call the DNR about them..
    All other parts seemed fine.. will eat some tonight.. We had to pitch the cat fish because i cut the gut while gutting him..

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    I process my own deer. I have for the last 8years or so. I'll get 4 to 6 a year. I have seen these small black clots in the neck before on alot of the deer Ive done. I've not worried about them at all.
    I've just cut them away and got the neck meat ready to grind. I may be wrong but I believe they are just clots that came about after the blood pools and is nothing more than arteries with clotted blood.
    Just my thinking on this.

Top Bottom