• ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    My opinion would be the following.

Now that it's "done" Unless it puts at least 500 flawless rounds down range without a single failure of any kind in a single range session, I'd make the gun a safe and range queen.

Excuses such as.... I didn't have it clean enough so it failed to feed, don't really help you if that failure to feed was in the middle of a gun fight for your life.

I freely admit I am NOT an expert. You may have just crafted yourself the finest 1911 pistol to have ever walked the earth. If you did, fantastic. But there certainly have been a lot of bits and pieces hacked on, bent up, or replaced since it was purchased.

Either way, sounds like you had a lot of fun working on it. With the exception of the hammer bites and scaring. Here's to hoping it's a flawless pistol.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    looks like you are heading in the right direction. might you want to blend the frame to grip safety transition just a bit. takes awhile by hand, but you can tape the grip safety in the firing position and use crocus cloth. the motion is a bit like shoe shine with a buffing rag. as you get closer to the shape you want, use finer and finer grit. just a thought. great start.

the following and doubling is a whole other issue.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    It's done the following and doubling since it was new.

I think I've got it pretty much under control. I need to go buy 100 more rounds to make sure however.

With the disconnecter disengaged, the sear was moving too much against the disconnecter bar. Badly fitted disconnecter or short sear, not sure which. The disconnecter got metal removed in the right spot though. Not sure if this is "correct" but it's safe and seems to work fine.

Josh <><

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You might want to look at the Nowlin and Cylinder and Slide trigger kits to replace your set. They sell them at midwayusa.com

I had to fit a new grip safety to my Kimber and was able to blend the frame tangs with the grip safety with just hand files and sandpaper. I used this site as a guide.
    Beavertails

So far as the finish goes, I had some wear on the original finish any way-plus with the fitting of the safety-so I refinished the gun with Duracoat and it turned out great and has been a very durable finish.

Top Bottom