• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    A friend of mine has expressed an interest in gun ownership of late, when I was discussing a recent purchase and he dropped the fact that he has managed to get to age 30 without so much as firing one. I decided this needs to be fixed, and his birthday last weekend gave me the opportunity!

Went down to the nearest range that is close to him (which happened to be Pop's or whatever they're calling themselves now) and got him a $50 certificate, which should be good for a rental, range time, and a box or two of appropriate ammo.

You should have seen it when he opened it up, he was pretty amped about it. As a bonus, he invited me to tag along when he redeems it, so I'll get to give him some range safety and pointers above and beyond what the shopkeeps will. Is there a standard spiel for first timers? Any suggestions? I was thinking of steering him towards a 9mm for the rental, since they have plenty of rentals in that calibur and the ammo is inexpensive... if he wants something with some more kick he can always try out my .357 mag.

Just trying to do my part to grow the sport/hobby/expression of freedom/lifestyle/whatever the heck we call this thing of ours!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    start with the basics. Safety, Safety, Safety. and no I am not talking about the switch/lever/button whatever you want to call it located on the gun.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I agree with Westside, safety is the more important.
    The 4 safety rules, wearing both ear and eye protection and such.
    How to grip the gun, the stance, trigger control, sight picture and everything else is not as important for a first time at the range.
    But you should teach him if you know about it.
    You want it to safe, then fun, not the other way around.
    Dont try to teach him too much also, keep things simple, he doesn't have to shoot one inch groups at 50 yards the first time.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Everything Sylvain covered, and ...what not to do, like spinning around in excitement after hitting the bull, the target, or just firing the gun for the first time ...totally unaware of muzzle sweeps! :eek: Firearms are always pointed down range, no matter how fun and exciting they are to shoot.

Fantastic birthday gift, btw. Always great to hear of new people getting into firearms! :yesway:

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'll second or third or whatever it is that you should emphasize safety. Obviously, safety is paramount. Remember, a policy that is 99% safe is asking for trouble.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I agree with Westside, safety is the more important.
    The 4 safety rules, wearing both ear and eye protection and such.
    How to grip the gun, the stance, trigger control, sight picture and everything else is not as important for a first time at the range.
    But you should teach him if you know about it.
    You want it to safe, then fun, not the other way around.
    Dont try to teach him too much also, keep things simple, he doesn't have to shoot one inch groups at 50 yards the first time.

Explain the role of the range master and why he, for that moment on the range, speaks with the Voice of God.

There's plenty of time afterwards to discuss why the RO wanted done what he wanted... but standing on the firing liine isn't the time and place to debate with him.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What great gift!
    The safety stuff can never be over stressed.

Since you're going with him, i like your idea about taking a couple other guns with you for him to try. You really hook him.

Have fun!

Mad Brew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Franklin
    Just trying to do my part to grow the sport/hobby/expression of freedom/lifestyle/whatever the heck we call this thing of ours!

I call it Hoplophilia ;)

I'll reinforce Sylvain and say beyond the specifics of knowing how to operate the particular weapon of choice, and what to do when there is a malfunction (clear the chamber, reload magazine, etc.), I'm very fond of the Four Firearm Safety rules that I repeat, verbatim, in my sleep (courtesy of the US Marine Corps).

• Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
    • Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire.
    • Never point your weapon at anything you don’t intend to shoot.
    • Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

My own addendum from time as a range NCO:

• Visually and physically inspect the chamber before handling.
    • Ask anyone you hand the firearm off to to repeat the previous inspection.
    • Ensure you don your ears & eyes (protection).

You can always refer him to my site, where I have a page dedicated to these rules:

Hoplophilia | Firearm Safety Rules

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Thanks, great advice. I think until I read all of your responses, that I was probably not going to be nearly as elementary, since he's a 30 year old man and you'd like to think graced with some common sense, but I keep forgetting he wasn't raised around guns and even something basic like, "don't point this end at anything you don't want a hole in" is something he might not know. Now I think I'm really going to break it down to basics, before we even get to the range.

Thanks again, everyone!

In my limited experience, the two indoor ranges I've been to did not have range masters, or at least not any that identified as such and were monitoring things. I kind of wish there were, it's nice to have someone around to enforce rules, especially since it's not possible to keep an eye on everything yourself.

Top Bottom