• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    There's a really nasty concoction called Tanglefoot that's intended to keep insects off of fruit trees that birds absolutely loath.
    It has the consistency of thick honey, and it stays extremely sticky for a long time.
    Just be careful how you handle it because of its extreme tackiness.
    Rubber gloves and a spatula of some sort that you don't mind parting with are highly recommended.
    btw...I have used Tanglefoot by smearing it at the entry/exit points for buildings, smearing it all the way around the hole, then had my brother spook starlings out through the hole from inside the building, while I stood right below the hole with my air rifle at the ready.
    When those nasty starlings try to make an escape through the holes, they get the Tanglefoot on their wings, and unable to fly, drop like rocks.
    It's no problem at all to pick them off with an air rifle then, or even by hand (gloves required, naturally because of that gooey Tanglefoot) by simply grabbing them and wringing their necks.

They make a product that comes in tube for a caulking gun for birds.. I will check on the name for you...if its starlings you can make a trap.. PVC pipe (3-4") a elbow and a trash can with a lid... starlings will be drawn to any hole and investigate.. take the pvc pipe and cut a 2' length,put on the elbow add a 3'-4' piece.. take your trash can (55 gallon drum works great) cut a hole in it the size of your pipe insert pipe and secure so that it is about half way down from the bottom. Fill with about 10" of water and let the bird bath from HE** do its job...
    Pigeons and sparrow's - rice with barley and some sugar works well too.. they eat it and it swells in them. = death... Works OK. I vote for the pellet gun and a chair.. good luck.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I spent many a nights in the barn with a flashlight and a Crossman 2100 pumped up 4 or 5 times. Kept the barn reasonably bird free. The only birds I wasn't allowed to shoot were the swallows. They leave a mess but they benefit more than they harm.

RichardG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Southwest side of Indy
    +1 on securing the ingress points. It may be easiest to devise a one way access point and let them leave on their own when hungry. The rest can be mopped up with a trap inside the barn.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Are you sure they're not hummingbirds? :D

Barn swallows (at least the ones I have) mud nests in sideways like, and should be easy to identify cuz of this.
    They go nuts following us on the mower, criss crossing and eating the bugs as we go by. it's like feeding time for them. I like em.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Just go to the shelter and get a couple of FIXED cats. Many of the shelters are running specials right now. Baby them a little, but feed them a little light in all but the coldest months. They'll take care of your problem.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Just go to the shelter and get a couple of FIXED cats. Many of the shelters are running specials right now. Baby them a little, but feed them a little light in all but the coldest months. They'll take care of your problem.

I had considered this, but the smell of cat urine is as bad as the sight of bird crap.

I'm having a had time finding large rubber snakes locally....or the sticky pesticide stuff.

Rural kind is a no go for both.

God bless
    - Shred

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I had considered this, but the smell of cat urine is as bad as the sight of bird crap.

I'm having a had time finding large rubber snakes locally....or the sticky pesticide stuff.

Rural kind is a no go for both.

God bless
    - Shred

No worries, Amazon has several versions of Tanglefoot, one in a 15oz tub primarily for insects - http://www.amazon.com/Tanglefoot-30...TF8&qid=1440824150&sr=8-1&keywords=tanglefoot

The other version they have is specifically to repel birds - http://www.amazon.com/Tanglefoot-Bi...TF8&qid=1440824150&sr=8-4&keywords=tanglefoot

Lowe's has a huge tub (80oz) of Tanglefoot, as shown in this link - Shop Tanglefoot 80-oz Tree Pest Barrier Paste at Lowes.com

Home Depot has a product specifically for use as a bird repellent called Bird B Gone here - Bird B Gone 10 oz. Bird Repellent Gel Transparent-MMTBG - The Home Depot
    I like this one because having it in an ordinary caulk-type tube should make it easier and neater to apply with a cheap caulking gun.
    According to the link, you need to special order it, but they'll ship whatever quantity you request to the store, or they'll send it directly to your front door for free with an order of $45 or more.

Top Bottom