• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    I am getting into varmint/ coyote hunting and am wondering if I should use shooting stick/stand alone bipod whatever you want to call them or should I just go with a permanently mounted bipod. Any thoughts or experiences with both or have any ideas? Thanks all

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've found a bipod to be the most stable shooting platform out there provided it is set as low as possible. The problem comes in when the terrain will not allow the use of a bipod. I would recommend a bipod over sticks and find alternate support if the terrain won't allow you to use it. You can always buy sticks later and use them when needed (even with the bipod on the rifle). I would not recommend buying a cheap knock off bipod. If you're going to do it, do it right and spring for a Harris swivel model or an Atlas.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I used both. Situation and use depends on the terrain.

E.g. one of my favorite hides was under a pine tree. I dug a hole and then put green burlap over my SP-1 on a bipod and waited.

Other times I used a tree stand, or along a fence, or had to shoot over cat tails and used sticks.

Which stick are you thinking of using?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    Not sure what sticks to use, I might still get the bipod and use the sticks in situations where I cant. I have put much thought into much sticks I want to get because there are a ton out there but I've been looking around on Cabelas website. Checking prices and reading reviews, anyone have any suggestions?

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    From my experience, I prefer a bipod. I have a bipod that I put on my AR for coyote hunting that is adjustable - meaning the legs can be a different lengths to match any terrain. It swivels and seems to work pretty well. It is a Caldwell, so nothing highend, but has worked well so far.

The only sticks that I have every tried to use we're just awkward. Seemed like I could never get comfortable and set up just right.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I would recommend a sling. If used properly it will do everything bipods and shooting sticks do. I have been successful mine out to 500 yards with 4 moa and better accuracy. best part is that you can get a USGI cotton web sling for about 15 bucks to your door. Second best part is if you use it with the standing, prone and seated positions you can make it work for any situation vs needing a bipod and shooting sticks. If you have any questions or would like to learn how to use the sling to stabilize yourself you should check out a appleseed shoot.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would recommend a sling. If used properly it will do everything bipods and shooting sticks do. I have been successful mine out to 500 yards with 4 moa and better accuracy. best part is that you can get a USGI cotton web sling for about 15 bucks to your door. Second best part is if you use it with the standing, prone and seated positions you can make it work for any situation vs needing a bipod and shooting sticks. If you have any questions or would like to learn how to use the sling to stabilize yourself you should check out a appleseed shoot.

This is a riflemans answer.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Yep. Build up the muscles and oxygen flow and shoot. I like a bipod, single stick, AFTER free hand and sling.

Top Bottom