• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Well it's that time of year again and now that we've been in our home for 4 years now I think I am finally going to breakdown and purchase an alternative heating source for it (the propane costs are CRAZY :n00b:). Each of the 4 years that we've been here I've sworn that I was going to wait until May or June and purchase one when they're 50% off (due to the season) and each and everytime I think to myself, we got through it last year, why get one for next year.... Well no more, I just need to purchase one, get it installed and start enjoying it both visually and the feeling of the warmth coming from it.

Now before you start firing back that the issue with all of these stoves is that they take electricity to run, I understand that and am willing to live with that as the layout and design of my home does not allow for a vertical exhaust pipe to be isntalled and so I need a direct vent solution. In addition I am already looking to purchase a generator that I can use the run it and a couple other small appliances if the need arises. Besides, using the generator to power the biomass stove will be much cheaper than using one to run our propane furnace.....

Anyway on to my question(s):

For those of you here that have first-hand experience with a biomass stove:

- What Make and Model do/did you own?
    - What year did you purchase it?
    - Did you install it or did you have it installed?
    - How many SqFt are you heating with it?
    - How many years have you been successfully using it?
    - Approximately how much did you pay for it?
    - If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
    - Would you recommend the manufacturer of your stove? If not which manufacturer would you recommend?
    - Where do you currently purchase your corn or pellets from?
    - How much do you spend per heating season on corn or pellets?

Thank you so very much in advance! I will be providing positive reps for those of you that provide me with useful and quality answers to these questions.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    - What Make and Model do/did you own?
    I'll have to get back with you on this
    Installed myself
    Feed mill closed so its been sitting since last year
    no, heats great, But who figured a feed mill that was 70years old would close
    - Would you recommend the manufacturer of your stove? If not which manufacturer would you recommend?

I had a deal with a local farmer who put me 80 bushell a year at the feed mill, I would not use pellets if I could get away with it, Ash and soot from corn is almost non existant, the same can't be said for pellets

I was paying about 2.50/b and about $8 storage a month

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    Well it's that time of year again and now that we've been in our home for 4 years now I think I am finally going to breakdown and purchase an alternative heating source for it (the propane costs are CRAZY :n00b:). Each of the 4 years that we've been here I've sworn that I was going to wait until May or June and purchase one when they're 50% off (due to the season) and each and everytime I think to myself, we got through it last year, why get one for next year.... Well no more, I just need to purchase one, get it installed and start enjoying it both visually and the feeling of the warmth coming from it.

Now before you start firing back that the issue with all of these stoves is that they take electricity to run, I understand that and am willing to live with that as the layout and design of my home does not allow for a vertical exhaust pipe to be isntalled and so I need a direct vent solution. In addition I am already looking to purchase a generator that I can use the run it and a couple other small appliances if the need arises. Besides, using the generator to power the biomass stove will be much cheaper than using one to run our propane furnace.....

Anyway on to my question(s):

For those of you here that have first-hand experience with a biomass stove:

- What Make and Model do/did you own
    Golden Grain 3100
    I installed it
    still using it
    nothing
    yes
    um rather not say
    last year about 400.00 but we keep the house warm
    Thank you so very much in advance! I will be providing positive reps for those of you that provide me with useful and quality answers to these questions.

Private pm me if you have more questions I have been heating with corm for about 10 years

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I do not have a problem with corn stoves,but they do have drawbacks.With the price of corn go up 30% in the last year.The price is just not stable enough.
    Have you considered a hybrid system of propane and wood/coal?Take a look at these wood furnace company, wood furnaces, efficient wood burning furnace they are made in the USA and I can not see any better solution to alternative heating.Order a few tons of coal or cords of lumber,combined with your propane for an easy system to maintain.

Rogret

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Stoves

Make and model: Harmon PC 45 Corn/Pellet stove. Installed in 2009. Professional install. We heat the basement or approximately half the house (about 1100 square feet). We have been heating for one year. Approximate cost was $3300. We would change nothing about our choice and would recommend to anyone. We purchase our wood pellets from Rural King in Monticello for $3.50 per 40lb. bag. We used one and a half pallets last year for a cost of about $260.
    We may try a few bushels of corn this year as we have a son-in-law who farms, but at $5.75 a bushel wood pellets seem a better deal for now. We bought a stove that would burn both. We may not always be able to find wood pellets, but in Pulaski County we could always find corn.
    There is a comfort in knowing you will be able to heat the house if something happens. Hope this helps.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    We have a first generation Quadra-Fire Mt. Vernon Stove. I like the first gen. due to the relative lack of electronics in it. We bought it to replace a vent free FP that burned though 500 lbs of propane our first winter in the country (OUCH!!!). The Mt. Vernon is rated to heat a 2800 sq ft home. Our house is about 2300 and it keeps the downstairs pretty comfortable at 70 and the upstairs about 65. We keep our blower fan running to help circulate the heat and I am installing the door corner fans this fall too to aid in circulation.

I installed it myself with the help of my two friends as lifting assistance. It was very simple to install and operation is a snap. One thing that I will caution you about is that most bio-mass stoves say they can be vented horizontally out the wall...Save yourself some panic and smoke smell and put at least a three feet rise vertically in your pipe. Also, you do not need to spend $$$ on the stainless pipe that everyone recommends. I use plain old double wall "B" vent pipe and it works great and is way cheaper.

As far as pellet usage, this year will be the real test in our 100 y/o house. Two years ago we had the house insulated from top to bottom and this past week we have had nine new windows put in to replace the old single pane, wooden Andersons...On average we have used two skids a year, so $400 on pellets plus I trade a hog to my friend for 140 bushels of corn for my bin that we mix. Straight, dry corn is great but it will run us out of house and home at 40 degrees or above..

I do enjoy the stove and would put another one in if needed. The only drawback is sometimes the fan / blower noise, especially at night when the kids are in bed and I would like to turn up the TV a little louder or would like some quiet time.

For parts and service there are several QF dealers in Central Indiana. A Fires Place in Lafayette is EXCELLENT for parts and service. Duncans Patio in Indy is very good also. The QF dealer in Bloomington...they were so bad when I called them with questions, I forget their name...

Things to really look for in a BM stove is 1) The auger, horizontal augers have a tendency to jam or gum up from time to time. My auger is a hollow vertical design and have not had a problem with it. 2) Parts and Warrenty, I had a part go out on my QF and it was covered for two years plus it was very easy to install my self with the directions. Most Big R and Rural King stoves have an out the door warrenty (i.e. once its out the door, good luck, and parts..even better luck). 3)Hopper capacity, My hopper has an 80 pound capacity and on medium fan and feed I fill it once every day. You really dont have to be time concious with your stove that it will go out when your away. And finally, 4) What will it burn ? Mine will burn everything from millet, to peach and cherry pits to wood pellets and corn. Some are picky some are not. There is a vast amount of research and info out there so good luck !!:patriot:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    There's just something fundamentally wrong with burning food. Pellet stove's I can understand but burning corn I can't get my head around.(I almost said "but burning corn I can't swallow")!
    And just to make it interesting for the OP I've never been in a house that " does not allow for a vertical exhaust pipe to be installed". And I've worked on hundreds. I'm just down the road if you want me to take a look at your place to see where we can set up a non-electricity dependent wood burning stove.;-)

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    It makes more sense to burn corn than wood,

You can grow your complete fuel supply in a couple acres and renew it every year, Wood takes years to grow,

with modern equipment you can harvest corn in a few hours,

Wood will take you several weekends

When buying my stove I talked to the owner of a company and said the university's down south were working on some biomass seed corn, A biomass seed corn would dry out better than food corn

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I stand corrected.Thanks. Jbrittin.
    Still, it's electrically dependent so that kills it for me.
    C.C.Guns I apologize, I'll leave your thread alone. My info wasn't what you were looking for....

Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    I have a question...i have been thinking about a corn/dual stove for my garage shop. Since it will not be used everyday and therefore not keeping a stable temp. is this a good viable option? Will I need a circulation fan or does the stove heat the space without a fan? Also how long will the pellets last? If I bought a pallet of pellets and didn't use them all this winter will they last until next year? thanks

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have a question...i have been thinking about a corn/dual stove for my garage shop. Since it will not be used everyday and therefore not keeping a stable temp. is this a good viable option? Will I need a circulation fan or does the stove heat the space without a fan? Also how long will the pellets last? If I bought a pallet of pellets and didn't use them all this winter will they last until next year? thanks

the stoves have a built in Fan, most are cool to touch but have hot air vents running

Storing fuel Can be a problem, if the fuel Draws moisture and gets over 17-18% then you have trouble

Speaking on Corn you really want your corn down to 12-13% and once it gets to 15% + it really starts to go down on heat output.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I'm going into my fourth heating season with my corn/pellet stove. Bought it as a floor model from Tractor Supply Company (forgot the brand they sell) but I have never had a problem with it. Paid $1200 for it, so it paid for itself by the second year. We have two furnance, an upstairs and a downstairs, so the stove is used to heat the downstairs (about 1100 SF). Since the corn prices have been going up, not sure about this year, I have been using wood pellets and purchase a pallets each season. It keeps the downstairs warm, the living room very warm and it allows me to keep the furnace upstairs on for just warming up the space in the mornings and then it shuts off the rest of the day.

I do not have propane but the natural gas prices were causing the heating cost to rise dramatically before putting the stove in place...best move I've made.

Top Bottom