• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So you want to start on the you need a License to Carry a Knife Slope....

Depends...

I would wager there are a couple of members on this site that could best you with just a knife even though you have a Pistol... :popcorn:

We all know that you ain't one of them. :popcorn:

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    Agreed :yesway:. You better have a pretty fast draw if an assailant is within 20 feet of you with a knife.

Also depends on if the person holding the knife looks like they know what they are doing.... :D

+1 to both of the above statements. Here are a couple videos that show just how dangerous blades can be in some peoples hands.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ahuBkdc8E[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_6bmrqIsP8&feature=related[/ame]

SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    I really enjoy watching these Kamikaze knife people demonstrating how they can cut someone by running at them from 21 feet away. I certainly won't hit them at 21 feet. Probably not at 10 feet. But when they are two feet from me they're probably going to cut me, maybe even fatally, but one or two center mass hits with 230 grain bullets make it a moot point as to whether he can actually touch me. Maybe no one wins so what is the point??

Last edited:

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I really enjoy watching these Kamikaze knife people demonstrating how they can cut someone by running at them from 21 feet away. I certainly won't hit them at 21 feet. Probably not at 10 feet. But when they are two feet from me they're probably going to cut me, maybe even fatally, but one or two center mass hits with 230 grain bullets make it a moot point as to whether he can actually touch me. Maybe no one wins so what is the point??

Did you watch the videos? Maybe I should have used some purple somewhere in the post but I really thought it would be obvious that they were meant as jokes upon watching them.

Last edited:

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I don't know about you but I am pretty sure I would be able to drawn and hit someone at 25 feet away charging at me with a knife, more than once. I guess go to the range and have someone pull the little switch while you shoot as the target is coming towards you.. All i have to say.. Maybe i am naive here..

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I don't know about you but I am pretty sure I would be able to drawn and hit someone at 25 feet away charging at me with a knife, more than once. I guess go to the range and have someone pull the little switch while you shoot as the target is coming towards you.. All i have to say.. Maybe i am naive here..

You have to take into account your attacker and you may not be starting at the same time from the same position. It's very likely you won't be standing facing each other squared off like a couple of cowboys. There is a better chance you get rushed from a dark corner or ally by some one hopped up on a narcotic. Think about the craziest person you've ever seen bum rushing you from a 45 degree angle with no warning. Or someone who's following you on a walk across a parking lot, he ll have the ability to close distance faster from behind, so now you have to; turn, back peddle, draw, shoot and hit the target. All while your adrenaline is spiking to levels it probably never has. Having the hand to hand skills to ward off, or even just survive this type of encounter trump any need for the ability to square up and hit steel or paper at 25 yds, in my opinion.

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    Action is quicker than reaction. I recently attended a full day training on edged weapon attacks. I have to say it was EYE OPENING. We disproved the 21 foot rule. If you have an attacker with a knife or other edged weapon within 21 foot of you and you do not already have your gun in hand more times than not he would be able to cut/stab you many times before you even get your gun drawn, let alone get shot into the attacker.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Action is quicker than reaction. I recently attended a full day training on edged weapon attacks. I have to say it was EYE OPENING. We disproved the 21 foot rule. If you have an attacker with a knife or other edged weapon within 21 foot of you and you do not already have your gun in hand more times than not he would be able to cut/stab you many times before you even get your gun drawn, let alone get shot into the attacker.
    :scratch: Then how did you disprove the rule?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    :scratch: Then how did you disprove the rule?

there are many, many ways/times/people who have done this and similiar training and experiments.

21 feet can be closed in less than a blink of an eye. if you are REACTING to an attacker, 21 feet is almost no time at all. imagine you running full bore behind someone. they don't realize you are there, until 21 feet out. the time it takes to cover that 21 feet is far less than it usually takes an average person to complete the OODA loop. in the time it takes to OBSERVE the situation, ORIENT yourself, DECIDE what is happening, and ACT, the attacker has never waivered from what he has decided to do. 4 actions againest his 1.

i have always felt that TIME is a better indicator than distance.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy

Myth busters did this and showed that inside of 20' the person with the knife has an advantage........assuming the person with the gun has it in a holster and draws once the person with the knife starts running.

Top Bottom