1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've got an idea. If Bill Gates and his minions are serious about their beliefs and are truly concerned about the planet let them all commit suicide and things will start getting better for the rest of us. Jus sayin... :cool:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    :+1: If Bill Gates applied this logic to Microsoft, they would be hosed. He's a hypocrite just like most other elite, big government types.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I've got an idea. If Bill Gates and his minions are serious about their beliefs and are truly concerned about the planet let them all commit suicide and things will start getting better for the rest of us. Jus sayin... :cool:

I couldn't agree more. With these people, its always someone else that is polluting too much, overeating, or overpopulating. I'd like to see these loons start by giving up their private jets, spaying or neutering themselves, voluntarily paying more taxes, and then jumping off a bridge.

Ocelot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Bloomington
    I couldn't agree more. With these people, its always someone else that is polluting too much, overeating, or overpopulating. I'd like to see these loons start by giving up their private jets, spaying or neutering themselves, voluntarily paying more taxes, and then jumping off a bridge.

BEIJING (AP) — Microsoft co–founder Bill Gates*(News - Alert) and billionaire investor Warren Buffett said Thursday they were impressed by the passion they saw among China's super rich for giving back to society during a dinner for Chinese millionaires. The American businessmen said they will try to hold a similar event in India next year.

They should start here...

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    That quote sounds an awful lot like Margaret Sanger who started Planned Parenthood and a bunch of others who believed in weird sort of logic.

I wonder how they would feel about this type of program if they were on the receiving end of it? I bet they'd be whistling a different tune then.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Kill One Billion people with reeeally good vaccines. It doesn't get any closer to the horse's mouth than Bill Gates.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Kill One Billion people with reeeally good vaccines. It doesn't get any closer to the horse's mouth than Bill Gates.

I watched the video...did you? I didn't hear him mention anything about killing one billion people with vaccines.

A vaccine is a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.

Bill Gates entire presentation wasn't shown. Just enough was shown to allow people to take what he said, out of context, and twist it around to their own benefit. Least that's what it looks like to me.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I watched the video...did you? I didn't hear him mention anything about killing one billion people with vaccines.

A vaccine is a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.

Bill Gates entire presentation wasn't shown. Just enough was shown to allow people to take what he said, out of context, and twist it around to their own benefit. Least that's what it looks like to me.

+1 That wouldn't really happen, would it?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Yeah. I watched it.

Sorry. He said reduce the population of earth by up to 15%. Let me do the exact math for ya. 15% * 6,800,000,000 people on earth = 1,020,000,000 = 1.02 Billion.

Maybe you could untwist Bill Gates' words. They seemed pretty sick and twisted straight out of his own mouth. Along with his pipe dream of bringing CO2 emissions to ZERO, he stressed, ZERO. That means all that you exhale, every motorized device, factories, etc, etc. Was that part also misconstrued?

And how would I benefit by criticizing the vaccination myth? Am I a billionaire on stage trying to sell products? What do I gain by waking you up? Vaccines maim and kill people, make them sick, compromise their immune system, increase infertility, give them seizures, cause autism... the list goes on. I'm passionate about it because I know people that it has happened to.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    And how would I benefit by criticizing the vaccination myth? Am I a billionaire on stage trying to sell products? What do I gain by waking you up? Vaccines maim and kill people, make them sick, compromise their immune system, increase infertility, give them seizures, cause autism... the list goes on. I'm passionate about it because I know people that it has happened to.

It's very easy to point to problems with vaccines because they are very visible. It's also very easy to ignore how much good they do because it's hard to quantify just how many diseases were prevented.

That's also very lazy and sloppy reasoning.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    It's very easy to point to problems with vaccines because they are very visible. It's also very easy to ignore how much good they do because it's hard to quantify just how many diseases were prevented.

OK, I'm going to have to show my ignorance. I realize I'm not as smart as Bill Gates. Or as rich. Or as well read. Or a lot of other things.

I always thought that the purpose of vaccines were to stop disease, including those that kill. If vaccines are more effective, won't more people live? If so, somebody better tell Bill before he screws up and creates more effective vaccines.

I like trees. And flowers. Excpet the ones that attract bees. I don't like bees. If humans generate no CO2, how are the plants going to survive? If the plants don't survive, how are we going to generate O2 to live? And the animals. Without O2 the polar bears will die. We have to save the polar bears!

I think Bill wants to just kill off 15% of the planet so he has a place to ride his pony (rep to the first person to identify the source).

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    OK, I'm going to have to show my ignorance. I realize I'm not as smart as Bill Gates. Or as rich. Or as well read. Or a lot of other things.

I always thought that the purpose of vaccines were to stop disease, including those that kill. If vaccines are more effective, won't more people live? If so, somebody better tell Bill before he screws up and creates more effective vaccines.

As you improve quality of life for people they tend to have fewer children. Also, when you have a healthier population they are more capable of being productive rather than just mouths that want to eat without contributing.

It's not just conjecture, it's the trend in every developing nation: better quality of life, less population growth.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    As you improve quality of life for people they tend to have fewer children. Also, when you have a healthier population they are more capable of being productive rather than just mouths that want to eat without contributing.

It's not just conjecture, it's the trend in every developing nation: better quality of life, less population growth.

OK. But CO2 generation is five times higer per capita in developed vs. non-developed countries. Bill said so. So which is better - 10 people in a family in a under-developed country (times 5 tons of CO2 generated) or 5 people per family in a developed country (times 25 tons of CO2)? I don't know. If my math is right its the former.

I wonder if expanding the potential market of WINDOWS customers MIGHT have anything to do with it. Hmm...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Well, is what I said untrue? We have increased child vaccinations in the last 50 years from ~15 vaccines as children to something like ~150 today. Instead of sticking with the most critical diseases, now we scare/pressure parents into vaccinating away everything imaginable, magnifying the risks tremendously. Are you that worried about the flu, chicken pox, HPV, and whatever gets hyped up next year...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    OK. But CO2 generation is five times higer per capita in developed vs. non-developed countries. Bill said so. So which is better - 10 people in a family in a under-developed country (times 5 tons of CO2 generated) or 5 people per family in a developed country (times 25 tons of CO2)? I don't know. If my math is right its the former.

I wonder if expanding the potential market of WINDOWS customers MIGHT have anything to do with it. Hmm...

Increased resource utilization is indeed problematic with having everyone reach a middle-class North American lifestyle, but resource degradation actually drops considerably by taking populations out of abject poverty and raising their standard of living somewhat. It would take a whole lot to increase from there to the level of consumption per capita that the US has, so the net effect is gain, with the side benefit of not having as many human beings living in miserable conditions.

Gates and folks like him are easy targets because they are very visible, but there's a whole lot of charities out there that are grass roots level charities that are doing the same thing, and many of them are doing it through their various religious affiliations and beliefs. I don't see a whole lot of difference. The man has made a ton of money through the very type of "free enterprise"* that many INGOers purport to be such avid supporters of, and the Gates family is now using their money to support causes they believe in, *just like many folks here do.*

*my argument all along is that once a company gets to be a certain size, it's not really free enterprise anymore, but I get shouted down a lot whenever I point this out too.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Are you that worried about the flu, chicken pox, HPV, and whatever gets hyped up next year...

Worried about? To a small degree, yes. I have been vaccinated against a lot more things than that, and I've been glad that vaccines are available. If I could have gotten the HPV vaccine I would have done it in a minute. When I reach the age that I can get vaccinated for shingles, I'll do it too.

Now, if you want to argue that that level of vaccinations should NOT be mandated by the government you won't get much argument from me, or if you want to argue that the drug manufacturers are making out like bandits and using the government to force their profits, again you won't get any argument from me. But having studied epidemiology and the history of medicine, I am very glad we live in an age where these tools are available.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The world is already over populated, not saying we should line people up and murder them, but there sure are a helluva lot of people who have been a constant drain on society and all of our paychecks for decades.

Sure would be nice to be able to put that money into schools, roads, etc than have to prop up those who abuse the system. (Not saying all those on assistance are abusing the system either, there are many many good hard working people who would kill for a job to get off assistance)

Top Bottom