• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    if you can throw it in the safe, or keep it in your night stand, do that.....sounds like you like the thing, so i say just keep it, take care of it, and show it off to your buddys

I definitely like it, its my first firearm, but I want to shoot it, and enjoy shooting it instead of worrying about it, plus I would like to carry it. I'm going to keep it and use it, I got a hell of a deal on it, so I won't be out anything even if I do scratch it a little. My biggest concern now of reliability...it shoots like a dream, but that one FTF has me thinking...

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Use it and if you decide you REALLY like it and it gets scratched send it out for Ion Bond coating, it won't get scratched again. I carry a T3 with Ion Bond on it when I'm not carrying a Glock and I don't notice the finish wearing anywhere on the pistol. When I say anywhere I mean the frame rails and slide rails are still black like the surface of the pistol.. The finish is supposed to be harder than a file. I haven't tried filing on it but I can tell you that it's much more durable than any other finish I've ever seen.
    Enjoy your Kimber, that's why they built it.

NRA Life member.. GSSF member
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    every gun will have a FTF at some point.. having just one does not make it an unreliable gun...
    get out & put a few hundred more rounds thru it.. mark your mags so you know which is which.. if it happens again note which mag.. shoot more.. if another FTF happens check the mag.. it might be a bad magazine.. still you should learn and practice clearing a jam & always carry a spare mag..

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Sounds to me like you want a glock and are regretting getting the Kimber....

I get it, its like paying $50k for a BMW SUV when what you really wanted was a new $30k Jeep Wrangler you wouldn't feel guilty going mudding with.

Kimber is a high demand item... and there are plenty of glocks around. My guess is that you could put it up for trade here in the forum and you will be bombarded with "fair" offers.

Find the one you want and make a trade.

Last edited:

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    If you are using a "Stock Kimber black magazine" that could be part of it. Although unacceptable - many manufactures use cheap magazines. I would upgrade to a Wilson Combat or equiv. - It is a great weapon ......I would suggest if you sell it you may regret it down the road.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Is it new? Some compact 1911's need a little tweaking to run perfectly because of their short Action cycle, they tend to need to be more right on the money verses a 4" or a 5" model. Not a big deal if you like the kimber as much...

Also, the more you worry about scratches, the more likely you'll get one. The idiot scratch is 100% preventable if you do it right, it's so easy, I can't figure out how people get them in the first place.

I bought my kimber used, so cosmetic wear should be assumed... Honestly I like the look because it gives my gun its unique character.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ...As long as it doesnt FTF again, it will be my carry gun for a while. Its the best of both worlds.

Just curious but EXACTLY what was circumstances around the Failure to Feed? Or was it a Failure to Fire?

If it was a failure to FIRE then it very likely was ammo related.

If it was a failure to FEED then it might be a USER error? My experience with compact 1911 pistols is that they are somewhat more sensitive to the way you hold onto the gun under recoil.

Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I'm not to concerned with how much I actually paid for it...I got it for the price of a gently used glock (I know, pretty ridiculous), but thats part of the reason I'm a little more paranoid to damage it. I guess in the long run, I should always be able to get what I put into it back out of it. It is used, it's a series 1 kimber, manufactured on 1/14/99, called Kimber to make sure. It does have the stock magazine though, and I'm wondering if that could be the big part of it. I've also read sometimes the extractor needs loosened just a hair. Being used, I feel like this is less likely. I'm just going to keep shooting, and see what happens. If it does it again, I got a very nice offer from a board member to take a look at it for me, and I will most certainly take him up on that offer. The more I shoot with it, the more I love it, so I guess its time to invest some time into it to get it perfect.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm willing to bet you need all new springs in your kimber...at least recoil and mag springs. Those series 1 kimbers tend to be more desirable around these parts of the wood.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I'm not to concerned with how much I actually paid for it...I got it for the price of a gently used glock (I know, pretty ridiculous), but thats part of the reason I'm a little more paranoid to damage it. I guess in the long run, I should always be able to get what I put into it back out of it. It is used, it's a series 1 kimber, manufactured on 1/14/99, called Kimber to make sure.

Maybe there is a reason you got it cheap, somebody had to let go of it cheap. Why did they do that? :dunno:

Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Maybe there is a reason you got it cheap, somebody had to let go of it cheap. Why did they do that? :dunno:

I got it cheap because the made a mistake on my original order and I was going to just get my money back and walk. He was a man of his word and said he would make it right since a mistake had been made and they couldn't correct it...it was priced hundreds of dollars more than I got it for...I sure hope it isn't a lemon, just have to keep shooting and see.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I got it cheap because the made a mistake on my original order and I was going to just get my money back and walk. He was a man of his word and said he would make it right since a mistake had been made and they couldn't correct it...it was priced hundreds of dollars more than I got it for...I sure hope it isn't a lemon, just have to keep shooting and see.

Before you just turn around and sell it, replace the recoil and mag springs

Top Bottom