• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The rumor is rooted possibly in the lines of plumbing/electric/other fixtures that are sold at big-box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) versus being sold at dedicated trade supply houses. There are sometimes special runs of fixtures with particular low-cost high-volume features that box-stores sell that may be inferior to the trade house equivalent.

A lot of these items are off shore. The quality is lower than what you will get from a dedicated supplier. I see this a lot in the trade.
    Not so with guns.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    In regards to matching prices, isn't it true that sometimes the big box stores will get a special run gun with special serial numbers or a special model number so they don't have to match other retailers prices? Same exact gun but since there is a minute difference in the model or serial number they get around their price matching policy.

I think you get that a lot with the large appliances. Have you ever looked at the model number of a washer or dryer, or a refrigerator? Alphabet soup. There's no other excuse I can think of for that.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would not be surprised at all if walmart got a different run of 10/22's than everyone else. When I worked there the management would go on and on about how walmart used their buying power to get this or that manufacturer to make runs of product specifically for walmart. These runs were more cheaply made than the products our competitors carried and walmart was able to pass the savings on to the customer.

I do not remember firearms in particular being specifically discussed, but I would say it is the business model for walmart to do things like this.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Fact is..., if he said the Ruger 10/22 at Walmart is not the same quality as the Ruger 10/22 that he has, he's a liar. Period.

He was stretching to find a reason why you should buy it from him and not Walmart. The truth should have sufficed. I would never go there again.

weenpeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's what I hate about some LGS's. Did he really think that you wouldn't look into what he said at all? I'm all about supporting a local small business, but not when 1) It's going to cost me a lot more and 2) when the owner is clearly trying to screw you over. I'd find a different place.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I think the key here is that if the item being discussed has the same mfg part number it's the same quality at both Walmart and the LGS. If it's a custom SKU for Walmart (or any other big retailer like Bass Pro, Cabella's, etc.) then the item could be of lesser or greater quality. If it's a true apples-to-apples comparison then it's the same product so unless it's a loyalty issue for the LGS buy it wherever it's cheaper.

ThatEvil434

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    manufaturer's reps are still on the line, and unfortunatly more guns are sold by walmarts, so I doubt they would compromise quality. nice sales pitch though.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I used to own a Schwinn bicycle dealership. I know all too well the big box store/mom n pop shop quality difference in merchandise being offered by the two.

However, the models are different. I don't really see it in the firearms world, unless there is a specific "Big Box Store Exclusive." With bikes, tv's, etc...names, model numbers, etc, are all changed so that WE can't price match.

No way in hell Ruger would allow Wally World to sell a 10/22 or a Buckmark that would be inferior in quality to the same named model sold in independent firearms dealers.

Mr LGS want to make his nut on the firearm. Fine. He doesn't have to lie about it. All he had to tell you was that he does not buy in the quantities that "THEY" do. "THEY" don't go above and beyond the call of duty to take care of their customers, etc. The usual Big Box Store vs Mom N Pop Shop argument that has been going on for decades...

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    About John Deere, last year I ordered a D140 rider from Home Depot online for delivery to my mom's house out in the country. Turns out, it was shipped directly from the John Deere plant in Tennessee and to a local John Deere dealer who delivered it. They were not happy with me for not buying it from them. Honestly I was not familiar with the area or if there was even a John Deere dealer in her area? Mom just needed a mower so I was nice enough to order her one and have it delivered… and the D140 is the same no matter from either place.

I do try and use local stores vs. big box stores, but service isn't always better. I bought some of my own lawn mowing equipment from a small Toro dealer in Indy, and in returning for parts and service (and to support a local store!), I found that the owner was an ass on several occasions.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Ironic. I was recently at a GS on US30 just west of Plymouth (name?) and the owner told me the same thing. When I told him that Walmart was selling Henry rifles he told me that they are lower quality versions of what he sells and even have "Walmart" stamped on the barrel.

Top Bottom