Big ass revolver takes off 1/2 of a guy's thumb.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    They did this on myth buster a while back, little gelatin thumbs everywhere:)

Here's the info:

Holding a hunting revolver improperly can cause your fingers to be blown off by the escaping gasses emitted when the bullets are fired.

confirmed
    This myth came to the MythBusters in the form of a picture that was too graphic to show on air. After testing the handgun and noting the power of the gun’s recoil and the gasses that emitted from between the barrel and the chamber, Adam and Jamie built a pair of chicken hands to test the damage these gasses can cause to an unprotected hand. While Jamie’s less anatomically-correct hand only suffered some minor flesh damage from the gasses, Adam’s hand – specifically created to mimic the bone and joint structure of a human hand – had one finger blown almost completely off, confirming the myth.

MythBusters Episode 121: Thermite vs. Ice

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Shortly after I got married, my Father-In-Law was showing me the finer arts of John Wayne shooting-you know resting the barrel across your forearm of your off hand.
    He was shooting my old Ruger BlackHawk .357, and got a little lesson on his methods.
    After some burns/lead splatter, he cussed me/my gun+and my loads. He said "There should be a law against such an unsafe gun"
    I did inform that there were laws against being stupid--THAT got me tight into my new family....:noway::rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    New Castle
    Heck even a 44mag will tear up a canvas shooting bag rest. A guy once was going to shoot my 44 and wrapped his hand around the cylinder and I had to yell a fast warning at that.

Tranquillity308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    Martinsville
    Wow, I guess I never thought about that, and didn't know that could happen! I have a morbid curiosity but can't see the pics because I don't have at least 5 posts on that other board. :(

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Now I want a GP100 or SP101 even more. I need trigger time with a revolver so I don't do this to myself in the future. I've heard of it, but never realized that finger removal was possible. I was thinking just 2nd and 3rd degree burns, which is dead flesh rotting off the bone, but the bone is still there! Got to get one of these and see how it doubles as a plasma cutter.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    fonz.jpg

:laugh:

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    This may have been posted already, but it appears to me that what caught this guy's thumb was the gas venting via the "cylinder gap" between the cylinder and barrel. When touching off what one would consider a full power round, there is a lot of propellant gas that would vent from the cylinder gap. That gas may have a cutting effect on anything in close proximity. Of course, the gun may have been somewhat "out of time" and "shaved" one of the bullets, causing fragments to also strike that thumb at warp speed. The surgeon saying that the wound he suffered was a "gunshot wound" is mistaken. If this guy shot his thumb with the full round, he would not have any type of thumb left.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I always think about how Jack Ruby held his Cobra. I wondered why it didn't hurt his pointer finger.

1964.jpg

Top Bottom