• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No matter any of our opinions on legalization this is not the right way to go about this. Dems making another end run around the constitution for a law that itself made an end run around the constitution…
    While I can agree that this might not be the way to go, how is it an end run around the Constitution? Presidential pardons are Constitutional Art 2 Sec 2 Cl 1.

Yet it is. Here is an interesting quote from a Washington Post article:
    "The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993, ushered into law by then-Sen. Joe Biden, at the time chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, made Form 4473 a key part of background checks for gun purchases mandated by the law.
    Lying on the form is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. For being a user of unlawful drugs in possession of a firearm, the punishment is up to five years."
    Didn't say it wasn't the law, but what's that saying "An unconstitutional law something something something".

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    While I can agree that this might not be the way to go, how is it an end run around the Constitution? Presidential pardons are Constitutional Art 2 Sec 2 Cl 1.
    That is why i described it as an end run around, not unconstitutional, they cannot pass legalization properly and the law still stands, but with soros bought and paid for DA’s that don’t prosecute and this pardon they are effectively by passing the constitutional processes…

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That is why i described it as an end run around, not unconstitutional, they cannot pass legalization properly and the law still stands, but with soros bought and paid for DA’s that don’t prosecute and this pardon they are effectively by passing the constitutional processes…
    I can agree with this.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm stating that I do know people that indulge in MJ and own/buy guns. And without any doubt in my mind they are much better people and are hardworking, generally law abiding folks who don't hang out with russian hookers who steal their laptops among other things.
    Bordering on 'No True Scotsman'

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Bordering on 'No True Scotsman'
    Nah, who is more law abiding? A guy that drives 5 mph over the limit or the serial killer? IMO a person that breaks minor laws or ones that don't harm others is generally more law abiding. How often do you speed? Maybe roll a stop sign? Turn signals at least every 200 ft before a lane change or turn? I could go on, but I think you get the point.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How often do you 'break minor laws' to avoid dealing with reality by getting stoned - on alcohol or weed or prescription drugs?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    How often do you 'break minor laws' to avoid dealing with reality by getting stoned - on alcohol or weed or prescription drugs?
    Me personally? Almost never, and it's not to avoid dealing with reality. I notice you didn't answer the question though.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yet it is. Here is an interesting quote from a Washington Post article:
    "The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993, ushered into law by then-Sen. Joe Biden, at the time chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, made Form 4473 a key part of background checks for gun purchases mandated by the law.
    Lying on the form is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. For being a user of unlawful drugs in possession of a firearm, the punishment is up to five years."
    The 4473 was a key part of the 1968 GCA.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You know my point.
    No. What is your point?

Freedom is not about being able to break the law.

Ever speed? Maybe not come to a complete stop at a stop sign? Turn on a no turn on red?

“I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”​

Robert A. Heinlein

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    there's a huge pool of drool coming from this thread.

Y'all need to relax and remember, a stupid pardon is not the legalization of anything,

Those who indulge and buy a gun are no better than Hunter Bigdon.
    I have no dog in the hunt regarding the legalization of marijuana. At the same time, I note that the second amendment doesn't have a marijuana exception.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Nah, who is more law abiding? A guy that drives 5 mph over the limit or the serial killer? IMO a person that breaks minor laws or ones that don't harm others is generally more law abiding. How often do you speed? Maybe roll a stop sign? Turn signals at least every 200 ft before a lane change or turn? I could go on, but I think you get the point.
    Was this the 'question'? Which one?

who is more law abiding? A guy that drives 5 mph over the limit or the serial killer?
    Arguably the serial killer, if you want to talk 'more law abiding'; because the speeder likely breaks the law constantly where the serial killer may only break the law a few times per year

How often do you speed?
    To channel Bill Clinton, depends on your definition of speed. 5 over or more, not very often since I retired as I don't have to be anywhere by any set time and my suburb is 25 mph on all streets except a few collector streets that are 35 and no higher speed limits exist for any streets in the part of town where I spend all my time. If you wish to tighten the definition to 26 in a 25 or more, then all the time - usually set the cruise for 27 or 28

Maybe roll a stop sign?
    Again, almost never - it is a habit I got into while working. I often flew first flight out so was headed to the airport at 0330 or 0400. At those times, much of the freeway patrol was looking for drunk (and stoned) drivers and would pull you over for any perceived violation just to see what you were all about. I was once stopped because one of the lights illuminating my rear license plate (I have two) was burned out. I have not had a traffic ticket in over 10 years

Turn signals at least every 200 ft before a lane change or turn?
    When required, a signal of intention to turn or move right or left shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet traveled by the vehicle or trackless trolley before turning, except that in the case of a person operating a bicycle, the signal shall be made not less than one time but is not required to be continuous.
    ORC 4511.39, so 200 feet, not so much

And since you didn't ask, I have never had an OMVI/DUI and, except for a brief flirtation with weed as a freshman undergrad (during which I judged it made people lazy and stupid) I have had no use for MJ. For the last 2/3 of my career I did not drink with dinner because an OMVI would adversely affect my career as well as the company's cost to bond and insure me and my clearance. Even retired I do not drink with dinner because I am always carrying and our regulations only allow that in an establishment that serves alcohol if I do not drink. What drinking I do is largely done at home. I do not take any medications nor abuse prescription drugs

Now perhaps you would be good enough to answer my question. Because all of the laws you were wondering if I broke would not affect my ability to drive or my judgement behind the wheel, unlike the 'minor' laws broken that you claim 'do not harm others'

So, how often are you less than 100% behind the wheel?

Top Bottom