• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Knowing some folks who are dealing with this I can only say the posts in this thread contain about all you know. You or a responsible party have to witness the meds. and see to her needs when she can not. Love, understanding, patience and all the prayers from us here and those who care will carry you through.
    Prayers and positive thoughts to you and yours. Take care of the children.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Here's an update. On Monday after I'd left for work she took all her medication at once. We have been staying with my parents so they could help with our 2 yr old. Well at about 10:15 mom calls and finds her in bad shape. I haul butt there get her and haul butt to the er. They got her stable enough to be moved to a psych hospital. The baby is good and we found out its a boy. Now I don't know what to do. I'm looking at getting another safe and moving all my guns to my parents house and clearing the house of any ammo. I feel like I'm lost.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Aggar, our prayers are with you. My Mom has a history of doing the same thing your wife did with her meds. Several years ago, she did the same stunt and tried to kill herself with her meds and Wild Turkey. Best thing for her was to be put in the psych ward to clear out her system and get her stabilized. She has been angry with me ever since, but at least she is alive.

Some patients see the light and work hard on being normal. Unfortunately, my Mom loves the edgy feeling of not being responsible for her actions. I have heard it said that she cannot help herself. I am not sure that is entirely true. I am praying that your wife will respond to the medication and therapy and get better.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Aggar, our prayers are with you. My Mom has a history of doing the same thing your wife did with her meds. Several years ago, she did the same stunt and tried to kill herself with her meds and Wild Turkey. Best thing for her was to be put in the psych ward to clear out her system and get her stabilized. She has been angry with me ever since, but at least she is alive.

Some patients see the light and work hard on being normal. Unfortunately, my Mom loves the edgy feeling of not being responsible for her actions. I have heard it said that she cannot help herself. I am not sure that is entirely true. I am praying that your wife will respond to the medication and therapy and get better.

She's at community north right now and I'm not sure what steps I need to take next. I think a longer term place to really get her meds figured out and get her better before coming home. I think right now she'd need 24 hour supervision but I can't do that right now.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    ok this is ugly and i dont mean any disrespect, but if she is preggy, WATCH HER CLOSE FOR THE FIRST 6-12 MONTHS AFTER THE BABY IS BORN! there have been cases where post par tum depression can be worse with Bi-Polar....... not saying she will do anything crazy but the family and friends of some of the women i'm thinking about never thought they would do anything either.

as with any illness sometimes knowing you have it makes the symptoms worse

jake

It's not a matter of diagnosis. It's a matter of symptom severity. Not much different between PPD and the depressive episodes of bipolar except that PPD stands alone and is usually a constant depressive state while bipolar comes with some ups. I'm guessing depression after birth is a foregone conclusion for her. But whether you want to call it PPD or a depressive episode from the bipolar is a little bit moot, isn't it?

And the depressive episode from PPD is not limited to any particular time period. My first kicked in around 6 wks post partum but was mild. Then about 8 or 9 months post partum, I hit rock bottom and started experiencing severe symptoms. I was on meds from the beginning. I didn't start feeling like myself again until he was about 18 months old. With my second, it started around 3 months post partum and at full severity too. Fortunately, it was declining around 9 months post partum and for the most part "gone" by 12 months.

And despite all that, my children are alive and healthy. Unpossible, I know. I must have defied the odds.

She's at community north right now and I'm not sure what steps I need to take next. I think a longer term place to really get her meds figured out and get her better before coming home. I think right now she'd need 24 hour supervision but I can't do that right now.

I think you're right, but I wish you weren't. My heart is breaking for you and your wife. I know how bad mood disorders can be and what they do to the spirit of the person suffering.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My daughter, who is bi-polar is still struggling with PPD and her son will be two in June. It's not as severe now but she still has her days with it. Luckily even with the mood swings and the bouts of depression, her mamma instincts are intact. From what I have seen I could never see her harming her son. Unfortunately since I don't live in her mind I can't say that with 100% certainty.

Top Bottom