Beware Rabbits and Zombies (new crossbow)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Not interested in hunting but I want to learn how to properly use a crossbow. The Jackal was cheap and popular with good reviews. I have some rabbits eating my garden that need removal (since my outdoor cat is now living on a farm and indoor cat is not allowed outside) and there is always the zombie apocalypse around the corner to worry about.

Any advice from veteran bowmen?

Jackal.jpg

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Make sure you sight it in good. I had one (need to get another) and didn't have the red dot right and put a bolt through my the wall of my mini barn

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not sure what tips you are using but even target tips are going right through something like a rabbit. I've see small game tips for bows, you might see if they work on crossbows.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Paint the shafts hi viz....they are hard to find in grass, etc.

Shoot elevated if possible, this provides more of an angle and the arrow will be stuck in the ground and visible instead of parallel with the ground and buried in the ground.

Not to mention if you stick one, they have to jump off the arrow shaft that way.

Btw....if you live in a neighborhood...in case you didnt know...rabbits let off a god awful screeching noise when shot with archery equipment. Its way louder than you think that little bean eating bunny ever would be.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If you shoot the bunnies, you're hunting.

From the DNR.

I
    If you want to trap or shoot the rabbits, you will need a permit from the DNR, or you will need to use those methods legal only during the open hunting season (firearms can only be used where legal). Live cage-traps (wire or wood) that are baited with dried apples or dry ear corn can be effective in capturing cottontail rabbits.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Leave it to the DNR to ruin my plans. They are thriving in the cornfields across the street and invading my yard.

Last edited:

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    If you shoot the bunnies, you're hunting.

From the DNR.

I
    If you want to trap or shoot the rabbits, you will need a permit from the DNR, or you will need to use those methods legal only during the open hunting season (firearms can only be used where legal). Live cage-traps (wire or wood) that are baited with dried apples or dry ear corn can be effective in capturing cottontail rabbits.

Thanks to society for all of the rules to keep us safe. See OP? Just trap it and then kill it with a hammer.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Thanks to society for all of the rules to keep us safe. See OP? Just trap it and then kill it with a hammer.

Rabbits are quickly killed with a hard strike to the back of the head. Don't need a hammer, just a bat or heavy stick. That's how we killed 'Thumper' during SERE.

Top Bottom