• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I don't have 1 go to gun, I try to be proficient with all my guns. If the situation occurs where a random gun is in my presence, I've shot enough variety of guns that I could use it. But for the sake of your thread I would have to say my Bushmaster. It's dialed in, I can shoot on the move, able to shoot left handed, compact, plenty of ammo, and had plenty of training with it.

Brown86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    .22 lever action Henry and a single shot 12 GA where the two guns i had growing up and i could always trust them to hit anything i was after. I did a number on the bird population around the farm going up.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Whenever I heard the phrase "Beware of the man with one gun" it usually was a shotgun and referred to bird hunting/clay shooting. Many guys that participate in the non tactical sports of sporting clays and bird hunting were always swapping/trading trying to find that magical shotgun that seemed to really dust the flying targets.

Every now and again you would see a guy with a well worn O/U or Winchester model 12 pump that would seem to be an extension of him. He never seemed to miss and if you saw him yesterday or five years ago that one gun is what he would have in his hand.

I have a Browning Citori 20 gauge superlight I have had for 25 years or so. The receiver is worn silver and I seem to be able to hit very well with it. Although I have many weapons that is the one I take when I want to hit birds or clay consistently. It may be psychological or it may fit me that well I don't know.

We are spoiled now days and it is hard to remember a time in the early 20th century where an old 22 rifle or an hardware store single shot shotgun were all of the gun a rural family may have. City dwellers didn't even have that. These folks (rural) were excellent shots with their "one gun."

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Skipped over this thread before, but having an interest in the origins of certain words, phrases, idioms and colloquialisms, wanted to hit a few highlights.

I'll counter with the Book of Five Rings:

Some put it as "a warrior should not have a favorite sword."
    Nice link. That's how I look at it, yet making an allowance for one to have - through repeated use - a particular favorite.

I've seen people attribute the saying to different folks-- Clint Smith, Col. Cooper, Bill Hickok, etc. The actual words change slightly depending on who you hear it from also-- some say "Fear the man . . . " and others "Beware the man . . ."

Essentially it goes something like "Beware the man with only one gun, because he probably knows how to use it".

The idea was that the guy who spends his time training and practicing on his one gun probably has a better overall understanding of fighting with that gun than someone who spends their time with lots of different makes, models, and variants.

I also take it as a mindset lesson in that the person who spends their time/money on "software" is better prepared than the person who spends their time/money on "hardware".
    That's pretty much it.

That's always been my understanding. While I don't stick to one gun, I try to stick with one type of operating system per system.

As such, I may play with other guns at the range, but when I seriously train I train with what I carry...
    Yeah. Nothing wrong with learning the manual of arms of different platforms. Whichever you find yourself with, stay safe out there. :)

Top Bottom