• ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    And the aresenic and lead come from?

The way the body metabolizes the molecules of the crystalline fructose.

Crystalline Fructose contains 99.5% minimum of fructose assay, which is an even higher percentage of fructose than what makes up HFCS. Another ingredient of crystalline fructose is arsenic. I don’t know about you, but I don’t care what the amount is (in this case the chemical specs state 1 mg/kg maximum), I don’t want to be ingesting arsenic. "Additional chemical compounds that make up crystalline fructose are heavy metals, lead, and chloride. I obtained this information from admworld.com.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Funny I have no lead or arsenic exposures at work. Guess I had better pull some MSDS sheets tonight at work. And what accradation does this adminworld have?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    On the scientific side what makes it so bad? Its made from corn right? What is done to it during the process that makes it so bad? Or is it just the fact that eating too much corn is bad for you?

The article says that fructose does not stimulate insulin production, therefore not breaking down properly and turning to fat easier. Fructose also does not trigger leptin to be released, telling your brain you are full.

OMG we cant eat corn anymore!

Nobody said that.

I would like to know where al this information is really coming from, I know for a fact that a certain refinery in Lafayette can NOT produce enough HFCS or corn sugar wich ever you want to call it to keep up with orders.

Junk food is big business.

I'm not somebody trying to stick it to Big Corn. I am just sharing something that I think would be beneficial for everyone to consider.

+1 . Moderation is the key here. Heck, drinking too much water can kill you.

“Water Intoxication” : Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I try not to worry too much about HFCS. It is an ingredient in so much of what we eat. I figure the risk factors are low enough, so I’m not gonna try to avoid eating it. HFCS isn’t half as bad as what most people are putting into their bodies (medications, smoking, excessive drinking, etc).

If you breathe too much air it can kill you too. But HFCS is not as benign as you make it sound.

Yeah the crap is in everything most people eat. Why? Do we really need every single thing to be sweetened? You can't survive buying ketchup that doesn't have Corn Syrup in it? I assure you that you can. It just takes a conscious effort to think about what you are eating.

When living an awful lifestyle is the norm, it is okay to be weird.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The way the body metabolizes the molecules of the crystalline fructose.

Crystalline Fructose contains 99.5% minimum of fructose assay, which is an even higher percentage of fructose than what makes up HFCS. Another ingredient of crystalline fructose is arsenic. I don’t know about you, but I don’t care what the amount is (in this case the chemical specs state 1 mg/kg maximum), I don’t want to be ingesting arsenic. "Additional chemical compounds that make up crystalline fructose are heavy metals, lead, and chloride. I obtained this information from admworld.com.

From some quick research on HFCS production, it appears that the trace minerals are contained withing the corn and are not eliminated during the purification of the syrup. I have not found anything that indicates these are introduced during processing.

What is interesting to me is the the acceptable levels of arsenic quoted above are essentially the same as for drinking water (Arsenic in Drinking Water | Arsenic | US EPA). Even more interesting, the level for pork products is DOUBLE what is allowed in HFCS (Arsenic Toxicity Case Study: What Are the Standards and Regulation for Arsenic Exposure? | ATSDR - Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education - CSEM).

I'm not saying HFCS is good by any means! I tend to avoid it myself. However, some of the "facts" around why it is so BAD are a bit misleading.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    High Fructose Corn Syrup Wants A New Name - Cancer Cells Use High Fructose Corn Syrup to Grow -ProDH Sale

Keep an eye out for "Corn Sugar" if this name-change actually happens. High Fructose Corn Syrup causes you to eat more, turns to fat more quickly, and stimulates the growth of cancer cells.

Avoid products containing HFCS, stop buying garbage foods, and take some responsibility for your health and well-being. It is t...he consumers' job to drive this stuff out of the market. Spread the word.

Thank you.

I cannot stress enough my admiration for those who eat what they catch.

I have banned these "corn" products from my home, within the last year, and I feel 10x better after doing so.

Keep up the great fight!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Your body doesn't distinguish between fructose, whether corn or cane. It simply knows its a complex sugar and it breaks it down. in which case it would be all fructose, not just corn fructose. I have to say I disagree

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    From some quick research on HFCS production, it appears that the trace minerals are contained withing the corn and are not eliminated during the purification of the syrup. I have not found anything that indicates these are introduced during processing.

What is interesting to me is the the acceptable levels of arsenic quoted above are essentially the same as for drinking water (Arsenic in Drinking Water | Arsenic | US EPA). Even more interesting, the level for pork products is DOUBLE what is allowed in HFCS (Arsenic Toxicity Case Study: What Are the Standards and Regulation for Arsenic Exposure? | ATSDR - Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education - CSEM).

I'm not saying HFCS is good by any means! I tend to avoid it myself. However, some of the "facts" around why it is so BAD are a bit misleading.

Thanks for posting this, and illustrating why we have to take our health into our own hands. The Federal ABC agencies... FDA, USDA, EPA, CDC, ATSDR... all worthless. Smart customers should expose dangerous products and drive them out of the market by helping educate people about how bad they are.

The Government does not have our best interests in mind. I don't care how much Arsenic and Fluoride they recommend I drink in my tap water, how much Mercury we're supposed to inject into bodies every year through vaccines, and how much of these garbage chemicals are okay to eat in my food. You have to take care of yourself and make wise decisions for yourself.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hmmmm... I think you are reading that backwards. I don't think the FDA is REQUIRING a certain level of Arsenic in foods. I think they are drawing the line at the MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE amount. You are welcome to ingest less! I doubt any sugar manufacturer is sitting around, trying to figure out how to get MORE arsenic in your food.

G-Stines actually makes a good point. Fructose is actually a slightly better form of "sugar" for diabetics than Glucose, but worse for folks with liver issues. It also has some other bad traits mentioned above (leptin production for one). Glucose in the same concentration isn't much better (diabetes, anyone?).

This whole thing boils down to "Sugar is bad, mmm-kay?". As a society, we eat/drink WAY too much of this stuff. Our metabolism is built for much more complex carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. HFCS just made it easy to get our sweet tooth on, and we got hooked.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    High Fructose Corn Syrup causes you to eat more, turns to fat more quickly, and stimulates the growth of cancer cells.

Avoid products containing HFCS, stop buying garbage foods, and take some responsibility for your health and well-being. It is t...he consumers' job to drive this stuff out of the market. Spread the word.

Didn't you give the same warning on flu shots last fall? Which is it, flu shots, or corn syrup?

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    The article says that fructose does not stimulate insulin production, therefore not breaking down properly and turning to fat easier. Fructose also does not trigger leptin to be released, telling your brain you are full.

Nobody said that.

Said the Arsenic and other trace Elements come from the corn, so shouldnt we not eat corn?

Junk food is big business.

True

I'm not somebody trying to stick it to Big Corn. I am just sharing something that I think would be beneficial for everyone to consider.

If you breathe too much air it can kill you too. But HFCS is not as benign as you make it sound.

Yeah the crap is in everything most people eat. Why? Do we really need every single thing to be sweetened? You can't survive buying ketchup that doesn't have Corn Syrup in it? I assure you that you can. It just takes a conscious effort to think about what you are eating.

When living an awful lifestyle is the norm, it is okay to be weird.

a

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Your body doesn't distinguish between fructose, whether corn or cane. It simply knows its a complex sugar and it breaks it down. in which case it would be all fructose, not just corn fructose. I have to say I disagree

The study does in fact say , all fructose.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    High Fructose Corn Syrup Wants A New Name - Cancer Cells Use High Fructose Corn Syrup to Grow -ProDH Sale

Keep an eye out for "Corn Sugar" if this name-change actually happens. High Fructose Corn Syrup causes you to eat more, turns to fat more quickly, and stimulates the growth of cancer cells.

Sad that it is in damn near everything.
    That and all the hydrognated oils that are also horrible for humans.

For those that drink soda, it has been reported that if you cut out soda you will loose 10 lbs in a years time. When I cut back I lost about 5 lbs and then I started back drinking it. Need to try to cut it out again.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Didn't you give the same warning on flu shots last fall? Which is it, flu shots, or corn syrup?

Flu shots put you at risk for seizures and paralysis.

HFCS speeds the growth of cancer, and stomach rolls.

A little information never hurt anyone. You don't have to follow my advice.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Flu shots put you at risk for seizures and paralysis.

HFCS speeds the growth of cancer, and stomach rolls.

A little information never hurt anyone. You don't have to follow my advice.

They can call me crazy, but I agree with you.
    I do not get the flu shot and I have been focusing on eating more natural foods. I was pissed today when I found out the pretzles I was eating had corn syrup in them.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I would just like to say that Pepsi didn't start the "throwback" products to cut out aspertame or HFCS for health reasons. They did it because sugar became cheaper (again) than the artificial crap they started using to replace real sugar in the first place.

Sugar is too expensive > Switch to artificial sweeteners which are cheaper.
    Artificial sweeteners are too expensive > Switch back to sugar which is cheaper.

Slap a marketing ploy on it and call it a day.

Again, NOTHING to do with health concerns.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Another reason they're pushing for this is the fact that some soda manufacturers have been re-introducing classic sodas with sugar, rather than HFCS and those sodas have been selling like gangbusters. Sierra Mist, by PepsiCo is going to make the switch from HFCS to sugar permanently, due to customer requests. That's a significant portion of the HFCS market there and they're set to lose it sooner, rather than later.

yep, those throwbacks are selling off the shelves, i figured the same as you.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    They can call me crazy, but I agree with you.
    I do not get the flu shot and I have been focusing on eating more natural foods. I was pissed today when I found out the pretzles I was eating had corn syrup in them.

Seriously, why must everything have High Fructose Corn Syrup in it? Does everything need to be sweetened? Snacks, drinks, sodas, condiments, breads, cereals, canned goods... I am glad to go out of my way to avoid the stuff.

Top Bottom