• ...and so much more!
  • EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hello INGO!

Considering two similarly featured, basic/budget rifles and am curious which you all would go with or if the differences are so few that it doesn't really matter. No real special use, just a beater rifle for fun. Rifle A has railed gas block and comes with no sights. has 1in7, m4 cut, melonite coated 16in barrel, chromed full auto bolt and gas key staked, forward assist and dust cover. Forged upper and steel reinforced polymer lower. $549

Rifle B has 1in9 melonite coated barrel, a2 front sight and MP flip up rear, ar15 bolt, no forward assist or dust cover, forged upper and lower. $649

A2 birdcage, standard furniture, 1 30 rounder with both.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    It'd be nice to know the brands but just from what you've posted, I would get B. Mainly because forged upper and lower.:twocents:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    B. Sounds like a S&W Sport. That's what I'd get.

My buddy just picked his up S&W Sport at the LGS today after ordering it through slickguns.com.

$578 shippped +$20 FFL transfer fee = dang good AR for $598. He was quite happy.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I like everything about choice "A" more, except for the poly lower.

I'd suggest building instead of buying assembled. You'll get more out of your money that way. By buying stuff on sale I've snagged more than $1050 in parts for a little over $750 in just the past 2 months. The only part I still need to get is a rear site.

I even bought all the tools needed to put it together. I'll let you come over and borrow them. :@ya:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm building a PSA AR-15 for $600 shipped by going with a blem upper and lower. Garden-variety stuff but it does come with a Wilson Arms HPT/MPI chrome lined barrel (not the PTAC or CHF by FN). It also comes with a Midwest SS12G2 free-float rail. I've never wanted a standard FSB and delta ring on my AR because so many people end up removing them.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Wait for a PSA premium kit without lower … usually around $530. Get a lower …. blems were on sale at PSA for $49. Use an FFL for the lower. $20.

You'll have yourself a fine rifle and a "real" AR. The ones you mentioned will be difficult to get most of your money back on if you decide to sell it eventually.

edit: kit available today for $499 http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...tm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    For YOU, I'd vote B,
    also (I'm odd here) I prefer a 1:9 twist for most plinking purposes -- plinking for me usually implies 55 gr fmj
    Sure, the 1:7 twist lets you fire heavier pills, but it doesn't sound like that is your intended use for the rifle.
    happy hunting and let us know which one you get!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom