• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avcautoinc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    A cheap 12 gauge shotgun.

-A 12 gauge can take down any man or beast in North America.
    -They are effective out to 100 yards (further than most people will need a self-defense/utility firearm)
    -They are cheap and reliable (you can find used 870's or 500's for $200 or less).
    -For up-close civilian self-defense situations their effectiveness can't be matched.

^^^^^^^^^^^what he said

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Do you already have a gun? I am assuming you do, is there a reason you feel like you need to purchase an additional weapon to use from/around your truck? I'm just thinking financially it would be to your advantage to just use something you already have unless you see a need for something better than what you already have. If you don't intend to keep the gun in there over night then I don't see why it can't be your home defense gun.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I'm with the shotgun crowd, but I'd go with a 20 gauge. More than deadly enough but lighter and easier to handle for the wife or kids in case you're incapacitated.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I think that the perfect truck gun is a Savage 24 in 30-30 over a 12 gage. I had one that I have taken everything form Squirrel to Deer with it. I made a big mistake and sold it. That is one of the guns that I wish I still had.

I guess that it would depend on what you want your truck gun to do. I could see where if you are running around in the city you might think you need an AR or AK.

In the country for years it has been a 12 gage with a box of mixed batch of shells in the glove box. I have known a couple of guys that used a Varmint rig in there trucks. I also know one guy that carried a M-1 carbine in his truck.

Like most things it depends what you plan to do with it or think what you will be doing with it.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    If you're using it for defense get a pistol or 12 gauge. If its for varmint get a bolt action .270, 30-06, or .223 or build an ar varmint rifle.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I always wanted a surplus M1 Carbine for a truck gun - but there's no way in hell I would pay today's prices for that! Back when you could get them for 150 bucks at a show... sure thing.

Between AKs; folding stock.

I think one of those Rossi Circuit Judge .410/.45 LC revolver carbines would be pretty sweet as a utility piece. Or a OU combo rifle/shotgun like the reborn Savage.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Why would you want a single shot? I'd want as many rounds as I could have available without having to reload.

Because "The Walking Dead" is just a TV show and most INGO'ers carry a sidearm with them everywhere...The "Truck Gun" is a rural concept having to do with small game, varmints and such...The Glock/Revolver/1911 etc...at your side is for the Living Dead....:D

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Here's the rifle I've been carrying in my truck for about a year now, built specifically for this purpose. Lightweight, iron sights, and eats only the cheapest/dirtiest steel cased ammo I can find. Plenty of room behind the seat of a regular cab pickup for just about any carbine sized rifle...so my suggestion would be to go with the rifle version.

IMG_20121217_184502_856-1_zpsb148ef4d.jpg

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Truck gun for country truck -- I'd happily take a 12 ga or 20 ga pump, lever action (30-30, 44 Mag, 357 Mag). From OP I'd go with folder AK, or an AR. Go for rifle size instead of pistol.
    Why not an M1 or similar size semi-auto 308 rifle?

Top Bottom