Best way to spend a few hundred dollars?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    I have just started into prepping and have very little accumulated. I am working some serious overtime this week and will have a few hundred extra (probly around $300-$350) and wondered what is the best way to spend it. Should I get something like a generator or maybe an extra freezer for meat stock up or get a bunch of the basic stuff? I really want to spend this money wisely because I don't get this much extra very often.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do you have water filtration/purification/storage covered? Start there.

I know it's not as fun gadget and tactical wise. But clean water is most important for human life.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    The only thing I have for water is I save about 4 gallon jugs of tap water a week. What is the best thing to use for filtering and purification? Also is there anywhere that you know of close to Madison county where I can get a couple barrels?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Food grade blue 55 gallon drums should run (Did run) about 75 dollars. I think a net search should find you something close.

As for the purification and filtering I just have a backpacking I think it is a MSR miniworks. I think it was around 90 dollars. For emergency or travel situations. A good old boil should work for maost everything else in the 55 drum.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Need to go beyond boiling.
    C. botulinum toxin can survive well into the 230 F range. Call it 250 F to be sure.
    There's that, bleach sterilization, all sorts of things. If you'll check the survival/prep area, there's lots of additional info on the subject. Mountains of it, in fact. Good luck.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't know where I'd get a barrel from. I use those blue Reliance brand 6 gallon cube looking things. I've had them for a long time when they were cheap. I think they're more than I'd spend nowadays.

Katydyn, Pur, many other brands to choose when it come to filtering. There are UV, chemical, and other treatments. I use a basic bacteriafilter that fits the spigot on my containers. I need to have something charcoal based.

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Does anybody know where to get food grade drums and do they work well for water storage?

Never thought of using them before.

Could they be vacuum sealed?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Knowing what I know now I'd put $100 - $150 into water purification. You can get a hiking filter with nalgene bottle and a UV light purifier for that - all you'll need. The planet is like 70- 80% water. Unless you're going to that 20-30%, it's easier to treat water post SHTF than store it pre SHTF. The other $200 would go into used equipment of the following in order of my impression of most important to least: Canning supplies, Dehydrators, Vacuum sealer, meat grinder and sausage stuffer. All this equipment will allow you to make nonperishable supplies of everything you need.

T-Bolt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Water purification then tons of substance foods like rice and dried beans. Equiptment is nice but worthless if you starve to death before you get to use any of it.

Top Bottom