• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    OP: Don’t even think of Cabelas! I’ve heard horror stories and witnessed people talking to Cabelas’ “Outfitters” about a sale and it was horrific! You’re lucky to get 50%!
    Consignment at local shops from what I’ve seen is 15-25% of the sales price.
    I agree with Creedmoor above: use an auction company. People get auction fever and pay silly money for firearms at auction.
    Sellers premiums are usually 10-15% and you drop off the collection and the auctioneers do the rest. At the end you pick up your check.
    Freije Auctions in Clayton always has firearms auctions going and they do push prices to sell, sell, sell.
    Good luck! :wavey:

Herstal

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Big box stores will screw you over pretty good. Gun stores will give you a decent haircut. Private sales will always be your best bet, but will take more time and effort.

What if you grouped everything together in small/medium lots and tried listing here in the Classifieds? Maybe all the hunting rifles together, all the revolvers/pistols together, all the milsurp, all the ARs, all the like calibers, that kind of thing. Set what you feel is a fair price and tell people you won't split the lots. All or nothing. Maybe you could turn 20+ guns into a half-dozen cash transactions?

At least post a list see if folks here are interested ;)

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Freije Auctions in Clayton always has firearms auctions going and they do push prices to sell, sell, sell.
    Freije tends to handle a lot of auctions of automobiles, heavy equipment, farm equipment, construction, etc, but they do have a January 1st gun auction every year that draws a huge crowd. From what I've seen, prices at that auction tend to be market + 10%, so throwing the collection in there would probably net a pretty penny. No idea of their fee structure though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The only real way to get close to your investment returned is FTF individual sales in the INGO classifieds.

If I wanted to be creative with the above, I'd "consign" another local trusted INGOer to handle the whole transaction for ~10-20% of the sale?

The same as any other INGO classifieds offering, commucation is key to all smooth classifieds trades.

:twocents:

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    395   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Okay, guys, need some advice here. I’m bought and sold many firearms through INGO over the years and know that private sales are alnost always the best deals, and there are a lot of good folks on here. But I’m thinking of liquidating my entire collection, and I don’t relish the idea of having to take months to arrange 20+ meetings and negotiations. I’d like to make one reasonable deal…but I’m not desperate for money or something, though, so I don’t want to take a $10k+ collection and sell it all at a massive loss.

What would you do (in central Indiana)? Would Cabelas in Noblesville totally screw me over? 9 Guns in Anderson? Indiana Gun Club? I know I wouldn’t get as much from a shop, but can this be done for a decent percentage of the private sale value?

No cheap junk here, btw…almost all my firearms are in excellent condition and from quality makers.
    If you're looking for help, I charge a 5-10% commission depending on price. From what I've been told, it's the best in the business.

I can also come pick them up and do an inventory. Cabela's isn't going to offer that service.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Take them to a good auction house that is known to sell firearms.
    People pay stupid money at gun auctions.
    This...

If you want to sell but don't want to deal with the hassle of individual sales, an auction can be as close to retail as you might get. The auction company will take a cut but it is done in a day and you are are not dealing with anything.

Conversely, post a competitively priced list on here and say "pick-up will at a scheduled time on (insert date here) at (insert location here)". Might not sell them all but I would think most people would work within that criteria.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Premier arms in Brownsburg In. They buy estates and large collections all the time.
    You could go in at 10 and leave with a check by noon if you have 20 firearms. They actually have a ‘Buy Room’ where you can privately sit down with there buyers and figure out a price. Normally they pay 70% of market value. 30% is not bad for a one and done deal

Read the section on the buy room

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Beech Grove Firearms will sell them on Gunbroker for you. If you're selling rare guns, Gunbroker is the only way to get what it’s truly worth. A two week, penny start, true auction will get you paid in a timely manner. If you put a reserve on it, you could wait along time to get paid.

Top Bottom