• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    I have inherited some guns that I would call a decent collection and would like to look at selling them, dont need, and I want to take wife on great vacation to Europe or Hawaii. What is the best way to sell a collection since I dont have time to sell everything individually here or on gun broker?? Thanks..

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I have a guy in FT Wayne that has been buying collections. Pm me and I will hook you up with him. Quick and painless.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    Well first make a nice list and get a general idea on the value...Then e-mail that list to me so we can see if i can just buy a few of them before everyone else gets a look see....:P Really though...you gotta post the list....do it........

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    If your looking to unload quickly, a single transaction collection sale is the way to go....but with that usually comes a lesser total dollar amount received. Much like many other purchases, the mentality that the more you buy, the cheaper it gets comes into play for buyers. Additionally, a quick sale usually indicates the seller has forfeited some percentage of the perceived value in order to reap the benefit quickly. So my question would be...do you want your money quickly, or would you like a little more of it?

If the former is your preference go through an auction house, local shop, or private collector (which can be found here, or talk to your local gun shop owner as they know the local lay of the land). If the latter is your preference, sell them individually via private sale.

My :twocents:.....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    There are people that buy collections cheap, then turn around and sell them individually and make a killing on it.

Really, you're only shooting yourself in the foot to sell as a collection. The only people that do that are people that inherited them and don't know a thing about them and just want them gone. Take a little time and post up a list and prices here, you shouldn't have a problem selling. If you want them to sell quickly price them lower, and I bet you'll make more money than selling as a collection AND they'll sell quicker too.

At the minimum, post up a list and price for the whole collection here and I bet you'll have a few people bite.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you estimate the value to be large enough to help pay for a trip to europe, it must be a pretty spectacular collection.

I'm curious.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I dont have time to sell everything individually here or on gun broker?? Thanks..
    Auction or consignment---try to find an auctioneer that collects his fee thru buyer premium. consignment usually takes longer and the dealer's liability ins. may not cover your guns. The other option quick and painless is to sell them outright to a dealer---won't realize as much return though.

Steve

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Somebody's got to say it

I know there may be critics of this plan but, gentle readers, please bear with me and note the OP doesn't say anything about when he intends to take his wife on that vacation. Only that he wants to! It's only an inference that the sale of the guns would finance such a vacation. I'd say the same thing were I in his shoes. This would disguise my intent to use the proceeds for more guns! It's called Mossy Oak Euro/Hawaii.

OK, having established that, so far nobody has come up with the easiest solution for you. Low effort, no auction monitoring, no need to calculate seller's or buyer's commissions or premiums. Just give the entire collection to me and, if I ever sell any of them, I'll give you a cut! What could be easier?

We'll expect photos of that Hawaii trip. :D

luckydog465

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    I would got to auctioneer and have them sell you collection. Seems to be a great idea. Then you won't have to worry about legal stuff it will be sold and they will have to fill out paper work with the gov. Simple just drop off then collect check! :)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would go with an auction as well. From what Ive seen of firearms auctions, you can make a lot of money this way......... sometimes more than they are worth, again, from what Ive seen! ;)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You realize if you took the few minutes to post them here, I am sure you could sell quite a number, and possibly be able to finance that vacation, and still have some left to dump... I mean to sell as a group to someone who will not give you full value for your collection.

Think about it.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Bare in mind that most of the sales here would likely be quick cash sales with no fuss or muss! I promise to do my part! Buy a current gun values catalogue to help set price.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    There are a few shop owners who by collections, Premier arms is one, 500 guns is another. I have sold to Cabelas, if it large enough they will come to you.
    ABCD AUCTIONS is selling at $15.00 a gun comm.and do proxibid.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Just remember that if you sell them at an auction or as a collection you will be out at least 30% of total price, a local auction is 25% commission.

Top Bottom