"Best" way to secure a shotgun for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I have a wonderful little 12ga double barreled coach gun that my Dad left me for home defense.
    I also have a 9-year old and a 12-year old who live with us half-time.
    I'd like to find a way to keep this gun ready to use in case of emergency, yet keep it safe from curious little minds.

The kids seem pretty good with the rules of gun safety and they're good kids, but I just don't want to take the chance. Even good kids can be thoughtless. They haven't grown up with guns the way I did, so these concepts are still pretty new to them.

I know of several different options for securing a handgun for home defense. I don't know of any way to keep a shotgun ready enough to use, yet secure enough to be reasonably safe.

How do you guys manage this?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Teaching them firearms safety,operations,dangers and that it is absolutely unacceptable to touch them without your supervision and permission would be the best thing to keep them safe.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I agree. We're working on that. It's just going to take time to get it drilled into their heads enough for it to be automatic...The oldest one thinks he's smart, and he's always looking for exceptions to the rule.
    Concerning guns, there ARE NO exceptions.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Tough call. I was in the same situation, but now have a handgun that I keep on me when in the house. The shotguns are loaded, but in the safe, and the handgun will be used "to fight my way to the safe" if it ever came to that. I have a cheap pocket holster for the handgun that I attached to the bed with velcro, but the gun is only in that holster while I'm in the bed. I know this doesn't solve your issue and frankly, I can't think of any way to solve it at the moment. Which is why I have the handgun at my house.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I dont know what your budget is but there are many quick access shotgun safes designed to hold just one or two long guns. Thus making the footprint small. They run around $300. In my opinion they serve to not only deny access by children but also keep your weapon relatively safe from being stolen when you are not home. Best solution going.

Just Google "quick access shotgun safe" you will get a lot of options.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Occams Razor; try a simple answer.

Hang it on the wall, (inside a closet if there is one close to the bed,) up high where they can't reach it.

Or put it on top of a bookshelf, or a tall dresser/armoire...something like that.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

Hang it on the wall, (inside a closet if there is one close to the bed,) up high where they can't reach it.

Or put it on top of a bookshelf, or a tall dresser/armoire...something like that.

That option will not do a whole lot to deter kids that want to get their hands on a gun.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

my kids are like monkeys and might climb up to get to it lol

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Depend on your handgun that's on your side until you go to bed and then put the shotgun by your bed at night. During the day, keep the shotgun in the safe. There is no such thing as hiding in plain sight with children. I knew where all my father's guns were located by the time I was seven. I only put one round through the dresser and into the wall. Yeah, they were unloaded, but I knew where the ammo was, too.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    6194416003p

Two of those over the inside of a closet door.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I think many of the suggestions are provided missing the part about the OP having kids and the OP would like the kids taken into consideration. :rolleyes:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Take them to the range. Make them shoot your SXS 12 gauge until they cry uncle. 50 rounds? or more. The mystery is gone but if they really need to use it for HD, they will be able to use it effectively.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    These are all great suggestions. Thank you!
    I like those "lock-boxes". The Mossburg is closer to my budget right now, but I like them both.
    I do agree with taking the kids to the range and letting them experience just what a shotgun does. That was enough for me when I was their age...
    Great suggestions. You've given me a few things to think about.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    These are all great suggestions. Thank you!
    I like those "lock-boxes". The Mossburg is closer to my budget right now, but I like them both.
    I do agree with taking the kids to the range and letting them experience just what a shotgun does. That was enough for me when I was their age...
    Great suggestions. You've given me a few things to think about.

NRA has programs for kids.

Eddie Eagle Safety Program

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    Take them to the range. Make them shoot your SXS 12 gauge until they cry uncle. 50 rounds? or more. The mystery is gone but if they really need to use it for HD, they will be able to use it effectively.

i like this idea and i think will work, i love to shoot 12 ga, slugs with heavy loads, that i reload myself, after 100 i am craying uncle......:):

Top Bottom