Best way to get zinc oxidation off slide?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AremRed

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Indianapolis
    Hey y’all, I’ve been gifted a pistol with what I was told was zinc corrosion on the slide. Any tips/tricks for getting that off?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Posting pics will help.

Since you were told what it is, are you sure they are right? Lots of actual experts here to tell for sure.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    tannerite-9882395-1-2-et-main.jpg

AremRed

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Indianapolis
    Posting pics will help.

Since you were told what it is, are you sure they are right? Lots of actual experts here to tell for sure.
    IMG_4745.jpeg

Best pic I could get…discoloration from oxidation on the slide with a couple specific spots. Or maybe it’s just the blueing going away?

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    All you can do is sand it down and cerakote it. It will happen again being those slides were made of zinc potmetal material.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not to knock our friend Squirt239, but is the pistol worth throwing much money at?

Could you ever recover your investment in a nice ceracoat job on it? A ceracoat job that WILL begin to wear with regular holster use.

Just my :twocents:, but I'd sell that pistol as is. Conversely, if I was sure I wanted to keep that pistol, I'd rattle can some unique sort of camo pattern that would still look eclectically well as it "battle wore" off from use.

:)

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    All you can do is sand it down and cerakote it. It will happen again being those slides were made of zinc potmetal material.
    " zink potmetal" is what we in the industry call "four nine zink" 99.99% pure zink for die casting. Zink is incredible soft....are you certain the slide is zink? I'm really curious

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    " zink potmetal" is what we in the industry call "four nine zink" 99.99% pure zink for die casting. Zink is incredible soft....are you certain the slide is zink? I'm really curious
    Same here, I did a duck duck and a brave search and couldn’t or didn’t find anything.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Same here, I did a duck duck and a brave search and couldn’t or didn’t find anything.
    I thought it was weird that he said zinc on slide, so i looked it up and found posts that many said they had same issues years back. According to a couple informative posts(forget the website), a few had said most if not all of those pistol slides were made of a zinc potmetal by some company for walther and that they were pretty much throw-aways when wore out.

Heres a walther forum with such info.

Armory blog

Reactions: Mij

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Updated my post with the information. I use duck duck search also. Think you told ne about it couple months back after me complaining about googles new crappy search.

Reactions: Mij

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    View attachment 371677

Surprised you didn’t hit me with this one :cool:;)
    I was thinking this when you said that.
    1723251705274.png
    I've got 5 grandchildren in the last 3 years so a I'm seeing a lot of that lately.

Have you tried Ballistol? Let it sit several hours to over night use a stiff nylon brush.

Edit:

Ballistol is fully compatible with all metals including aluminum. However, Ballistol dissolves traces of copper, zinc, lead and tombac and can, therefore, be used to clean brass, bronze and silver. Read more about Ballistol for metal care.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom