• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've had a double squib before. I had picked up an old Colt Police Positive Special, and being used to more modern "beefier" guns like Smith K-frames, that little gun just looked like it might not be up to firing full power loads (A gross underestimate on my part). I loaded up a batch of what I thought would be "light" 38 spl. rounds. The first squib sounded a little off, but with hearing protection on, I didn't know just how differently it sounded. When I saw the flash escaping around the cylinder on the second shot, I stopped and sure enough, the barrel was blocked. Took it to my gunsmith after my attempts at clearing the barrel with a dowel rod and rubber mallet failed. That's when I found out that there were not one, but two bullets lodged in there. Amazingly, it did not bulge the barrel at all. Never tried loading "light" after that!

IMG_2125_zps1d5dee87.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    my experience with "squib" loads, and by that i mean any load that doesn't get out the end of the barrel, is that 90% of them don't reach the end of the barrel, but rather barely break free from the case and become stuck in the forcing cone, which on a revolver, locks the gun up solid. Of the remaining 10% (again just my personal experience) that do make it fully into the barrel, sending a 2nd round down on top of it will either chase the first bullet out of the barrel, or expand, bulge or explode the barrel. The likelihood that 8 bullets out of a 6 round revolver were all squibs and all settle neat and nice on top of each other, and all free of the forcing cone, but yet none exited the barrel without blowing anything up at any point, just seems highly unlikely. I agree that its possible to load an entire box without powder, but Id be shocked if this was the result. That said, I have been shocked before. Id also be shocked by anyone who didn't notice the difference by a full power round and a round devoid of any powder, the recoil and noise are both significantly different.
    I humbly bow to your high level of experience. I've been reloading for over 40 years and don't have nearly that level.:):

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I started loading and competing very young, and in some circumstances, I'm a slow learner. Definetly had a couple more squibs than I'd like to admit to.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Had one stuck in the barrel of a 10/22 I used to own. I just used a cleaning rod to shove it out. It was some crappy old S&B .22 LR I had on hand, and was trying to just shoot it up to get rid of it...the rest was disposed of after that happened.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I started loading and competing very young, and in some circumstances, I'm a slow learner. Definetly had a couple more squibs than I'd like to admit to.
    Hey, I was just kidding. Take comfort in the fact that some people never learn. For example, whoever shot that S&W revolver in the OP's photo.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I doubt it was 8 squibs. Most likely 8 heavily reduced loads for "competition". Just strong enough to make a 'ping' against a steel target at close range.

Two things could have happened with that:
    1) shooter charged the casings with slightly less powder than he intended / shot the cartridges from a longer barrel than they were developed for - basically a screw up or altered loading

2) He held or drew the weapon at a different position than when the loads were developed - super light charges of conventional powder can show drastic changes in how they burn based on how the gun is held, because there is so much empty room inside the casing that the charge is either up against the primer (muzzle up) or up against the bullet (muzzle down); this changes the time and efficiency of the ignition, which effects the burn of the powder and the velocity / pressure generated.

Both of those things are why they make TrailBoss powder. You can craft a reduced load and still have a respectable load density.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I reloaded years ago, and had some 'primer only' rounds. I do not think they had the dies that stop you if there is no/short powder charge. I had a Taurus PT92. The first one stovepiped, I cleared it and fired another shot, only then did I realize something was wrong. Took to a smith, and he used a 6 inch roofing nail to get them out. Slight bulge on the barrel. Sent it back to Taurus and they replaced the barrel under warranty. That was very nice of them!!!

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I reloaded years ago, and had some 'primer only' rounds. I do not think they had the dies that stop you if there is no/short powder charge.

I think Dillon makes a low level light that comes one when the powder gets low. I get moving when I get busy. So every 20 to 30 rounds if the powder is full I dump them in the big batch. Then load some more. When ever I run into a problem (low powder) the whole cup gets dumped and I pull them and run them through again. All the years of reloading I haven't had a squib round (so far).

Had a couple rounds that I was not happy with the load. Didn't like the powder. Plus some odd experimental stuff.

GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI
    "I keep hearing a bang but I can't see where my shots are going! Do you think there's something wrong with my sights?"

True story, when I first started reloading, I loaded two rounds that ended up in the same mag that were half or less powder than normal. Both when fired, cleared the barrel and I actually heard the bullet bounce down the range floor. A couple tenths of a grain less and they never would've left the barrel. However, both times I noticed the recoil and flash was less than normal though and cleared the gun to make sure it wasn't blocked. Unfortuantely I could see how someone inexperienced and a bit stupid could manage this under the right circumstances.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I pretty much just hose 'em off, cut off the tentacles and cook 'em. I don't think they require any real cleaning other than washing off the salt.

Oh, wait ... I just put on my glasses. I thought you asked about cleaning a squid.

Sorry. :)

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    brass rod of harder alloy or copper rod of harder alloy. Either must be just smaller than the diameter of the bullet to make it work well. The softer metals with prevent galling of the rifle threads. If you use steel cleaning rods, you may gall or gouge the rifling in your barrel.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom