• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ... Keep pulling the trigger!

This was a pin barrel N-Frame prior to the owner firing eight rounds of .38 special. Surprisingly it appears to have just bulged the barrel a bit. Which has been removed and milled to show the damage.

esPUmZo.jpg

6q9UMNQ.jpg

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Holy smoke!

Did he actually fire more than 8 and were they dropping out the end of the barrel?? I would not have believed this was possible. Is there any chance this is a faked event?? Were they reloads that were grossly under the powder requirements??

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Something like this happened to a friend of mine's wife at a powder puff competition. He had forgotten to bring her ammo along and bought reloads so she could compete. She had 5 lodged in the barrel of a revolver before she stopped pulling the trigger. Scared the crap out of him when he saw what had been done. The clown that sold him the rounds offered him a refund on the ammo she didn't shoot. Go figure.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Something like this happened to a friend of mine's wife at a powder puff competition. He had forgotten to bring her ammo along and bought reloads so she could compete. She had 5 lodged in the barrel of a revolver before she stopped pulling the trigger. Scared the crap out of him when he saw what had been done. The clown that sold him the rounds offered him a refund on the ammo she didn't shoot. Go figure.

Just that ammo? I'd be demanding a FULL refund. Including the crap loads that were fired.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Some people just shouldn't own guns. Somewhere there is a collector of S&W model 27's crying. On the positive side, probably a new barrel and the revolver was ready to rock. They build them good in Springfield, huh?

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    On the plus side no penguins were hurt while making that. Pretty impressive that it took eight rounds to figure out something wasn't quite right.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Is that how they make babushka (Russian nesting dolls)?

Without a thick barrel and a lot of luck that could have turned out very badly.

Edit: ...and I am surprised it didn't turn out very badly.

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Not trying to call anyone a liar, but unless someone was present when this happened, I'd call it either faked, or not accurately explained. I've had squib loads in revolvers over the years and the likelihood of this playing out would be a 1 in a billion chance.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Not trying to call anyone a liar, but unless someone was present when this happened, I'd call it either faked, or not accurately explained. I've had squib loads in revolvers over the years and the likelihood of this playing out would be a 1 in a billion chance.

I have seen pics of it in automatics... Wonder after a while why you were not hitting anything. Also the gun should sound a lot different.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

How so? My vote is the reloader wasnt paying attention and his powder measure jammed, loading an entire box of squibs. Not that far fetched to me. :dunno:

Now if you are referring to full powered round after full powered round not blowing the barrel, I would agree. But the OP stated they were reloads so I dont see this as that far fetched. (Ive also seen idiots that wouldnt have noticed/understood the difference in sound and recoil, and didnt have the clarity to notice that they werent punching holes in the paper.)

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    my experience with "squib" loads, and by that i mean any load that doesn't get out the end of the barrel, is that 90% of them don't reach the end of the barrel, but rather barely break free from the case and become stuck in the forcing cone, which on a revolver, locks the gun up solid. Of the remaining 10% (again just my personal experience) that do make it fully into the barrel, sending a 2nd round down on top of it will either chase the first bullet out of the barrel, or expand, bulge or explode the barrel. The likelihood that 8 bullets out of a 6 round revolver were all squibs and all settle neat and nice on top of each other, and all free of the forcing cone, but yet none exited the barrel without blowing anything up at any point, just seems highly unlikely. I agree that its possible to load an entire box without powder, but Id be shocked if this was the result. That said, I have been shocked before. Id also be shocked by anyone who didn't notice the difference by a full power round and a round devoid of any powder, the recoil and noise are both significantly different.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    I see no reason for this to be faked, look at the leading edge of each bullet right at the tip of each there is a striation that starts at the bullet and goes up and back about 25-30 degrees towards the upper part of the barrel.
    Plus the barrel is starting to crack half way up the ramp for the front sight, and where the front sight starts. Not to mention the advanced "squishing" of each consecutive bullet. Kind of hard to get that with a dowel and hammer in my opinion. Believe what you want I say it's real, sad but real.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom