• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I shoot a Foiles Strait heat. It works fine for turkey, geese, and ducks. Heck I even kill doves with it. Yeah it's always tight but if you can hit doves in September you'll hit ducks in November is how I think of it... Just get out and pattern your choke and ammo no matter what you get.

I know you probably want something specific so I'll name off a few to check out, but Rob Roberts, Kicks, Pattern Master, and the list goes on if you know what I mean. They are all good to go. I do like a good pattern master though! I've also shot and patterned a few kicks that seemed good to go also. I personally use a waterfowl choke with turkey hunting knowing how it patterns it's never been a problem so I can't comment as to a turkey specific choke. Constricting or wad stripping etc doesn't really matter, stick with something that has a good reputation and so long as it patterns well you'll be good to go.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I've got a Stoeger p350, 26" vent rib barrel with a factory full choke.... I'm thinking there has to be something out there that can soup' it up !
    And Thank You Sir, Bfish, for the heads up on that info, gotta start somewhere :)

Last edited:

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    This is prolly a novice question, but what does pattern my choke and ammo mean?
    Take a variety of chokes (whichever you have, if you only have 1 then.. well 1 it is) and ammo choices, go to the range (25 usually works for me), shoot at a target and check out the pattern. The combination with the least number of gaps in the pattern and more pellets on target is what you should hunt with. Thats the short version, google it for a more in depth description.

HTH

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I use the regular Undertaker from HS in my 870. I am currently using Winchester high velocity loads, nothing special. It is deadly out to 50 yds. I didn't have to go through all of the testing b/c a friend had already done all the work. He bought all sorts of choke tubes, ranging high to low dollar, and he Undertaker performed the best for him.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Remington Superfull in my 870 Supermag. I screwed it into my 1100 SP and it worked fine there.
    Winchester HV #4's are OK to 42 yards (farthest tom yet).
    50 or farther, I have some Magnum Blend.
    Tested about a dozen choketubes, some rather expensive (bud owns a collection). My cheap Superfull shot well, proly finished #2 IIRC (can't remember what beat it......but it barely lost). Tried several loads/shot sizes. Was a brutal day.
    Ported tubes help with recoil? After about 5 shots I couldn't tell what was ported or not LOL
    Figure 30 or 40 shots that day.

Still not as bad as 90 deer slugs from the bench in 2 days (POS Mossberg 835). Just holding a gun to the crease hurt.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, my first couple of toms fell to a regular full choke 1100 magnum running 3" #5 Winchester (standard copper plated).
    Was not the High Velocity stuff.

That's about a 30 yard rig, and even then you'll get some pellets in the body past 20 yds. First bird exhibited that. 2nd one I aimed high to hit with bottom half of pattern.

Worked.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I know what you mean with those 90 deer slugs! My first shotty was an H&R single barrel with a fixed /modified choke... after a 5rnd box of those slugs out of that gun I just about swore off shotguns altogether.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Keep on with the info fellas, and thank you! When I get done with my homework I will post my results!

Sounds pretty good! Don't forget the ammo portion of the equation... They have to complement each other. You can buy a good choke and good ammo for that matter and it may not pattern how you like. I have a very expensive shotgun and a very nice choke and I still have to be selective about what I shoot. That doesn't mean I have to pay top dollar, but some loads are better than others. I for example don't shoot black cloud, but I will shoot hevi-shot. Or I may shoot the cheap federal blue box well but not the winchester stuff. Just letter rip on some cardboard and see what you think!

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Ok, so I just got back from Bass Pro. To start with, I picked myself up a RedHead extra full choke... came with a free choke wrench for $25. LOL -gonna start here

Going to experiment with this little hummer first, an will keep yall posted.. .

Good times!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Ok, so I just got back from Bass Pro. To start with, I picked myself up a RedHead extra full choke... came with a free choke wrench for $25. LOL -gonna start here

Going to experiment with this little hummer first, an will keep yall posted.. .

Good times!

I hope it works well for you...
    Just an fyi, if the choke tube is not extended beyond your barrel it's likely not to be much better than what came with your gun. Honestly a lot of chokes that come with your gun you will find are great if you pattern them... The extended is just nice for a tighter choke because it allows it to condense over a longer distance basically plus they are often ported etc.

Please let us know what you think!

Top Bottom