• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I never know what gun to throw in truck (Jeep when I finally get it home). Sometimes I grab the Mosin, sometimes a .22, sometimes one of my AR's. I never go anywhere without at least one rifle in my vehicle, and I always want to bring 'em all, but thats just not practical. I dont have it for self defense or anything, I basically just have it incase Im up at the farm or at a friends and we want to shoot something or see a groundhog or something.

So INGO, whats your ideal "truck gun"?

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'd say a Mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel, loaded with buckshot, slugs in a side saddle.

Cheap enough to beat the hell out of, compact enough for the truck, not much you can't handle with 6 rounds of 12ga buckshot and optional slugs.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Whatever you decide upon, realize that unless you have a way to secure it in the car or truck, it can be stolen. Your vehicle can be stolen as well. If you choose to keep a long gun in the vehicle, make sure to record the serial number and model to help in identification if it is stolen and subsequently recovered.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    9mm Carbine.

Either a sub 2k, or a hi point 995st.

Both aren't too expensive, the sub will run a little higher, but affordable. I would say the hi point is much more durable. With the Sub 2k you could secure it so it wouldn't be visible, and deter possible theft.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    001.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting question to ponder. I have a few thoughts:

1) AK Underfolder. Obvious reasons for small package, and obvious reasons for utility.

2) 16" AR with collapsible stock. Larger than a 16" AK of course, but still a small-ish package that can fit under a rear bench seat or behind the front bench of a regular cab. Good all around utility as well. SBR would be nice, but talking some more $$$ in stamps, etc.

3) Shotgun loaded out as mentioned above. Probably limits you to more self defense situations or survival hunting, unless you just happen upon some guys shooting skeet and you happen to have a few boxes of shells on ya.

For all of the above...how much ammo? If for self defense, that is one consideration. If you just happen to skip out of work to go plink, that is another. What about storage...locked and loaded, empty with chamber open and magazine separate?

A consideration you also have to think about is what happens if you are in an accident, pulled over, etc. and are going to be interfacing with law enforcement. Even though having the long gun is perfectly legal in most situations, how you explain its purpose (if you chose to at all) can have potential effects on how the day turns out for you.

Consider the following scenario:

You are driving across town to get groceries. You have your AK underfolder under the back seat. You also have your go to chest rig under there with 6 loaded mags. As you drive through town, you are in a fairly significant accident, one that you won't be able to drive the vehicle away from. Lets say even worse yet, you are injured significantly and are not concious to inform the first responders of the personal property in your car.

What happens to the rifle and ammo? What legal concerns would you need to plan for, especially if you happen to have folks involved that are anti-gun, especially anti "Assault Rifle." Here they have found an AK-pattern rifle, "Hidden" in the vehicle, and a "cache" of ammunition in a chest rig.

Are you suddenly considered a terrorist, or someone plotting a shooting spree at the local store?

Clearly to many of us that answer is a very defnitive "NO!" But...what happens if someone decides to make a big deal of it? How do you defend your legal rights?

Note that I'm not discouraging it, only commenting that having a truck gun brings with it a lot of responsibilities and potential what if's that need to be thought through, just like we all have probably thought very carfully about how we carry a handgun in a vehicle.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought a Kel-Tec SU16 just for this purpose, but I don't have my truck secured in my garage - so no regular truck gun at the moment.

It's a dandy rifle and cheap for what it does. But sure would like to have a bigger garage - wouldn't we all?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Im thinking maybe a KISS AR, with a mag or two in the console. I guess I never really thought about anyone stealing it. Not a whole lot of theft in my part of the woods, but that is something I should probably take into account. Cant trust anyone these days.

Jblomenberg16- You bring up a very good point. Thats something many probably dont consider. Same could apply for a CC hangun as well, if the EMT's have to pull you out and see a pistol on your belt, who know's what could happen to it.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I really feel like for a truck gun your not going to be needing rifles. If you need to plink targets 200 yards out just drive away in your vehicle. For a gun in case something happens, a shotgun or any of your durable high cap guns will work great.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I think the ultimate truck guns would be a Remington 870 with a variety of different ammo, an AR plus a handgun (any handgun) laying next to you. That way you are ready for anything.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Interesting question to ponder. I have a few thoughts:

1) AK Underfolder. Obvious reasons for small package, and obvious reasons for utility.

2) 16" AR with collapsible stock. Larger than a 16" AK of course, but still a small-ish package that can fit under a rear bench seat or behind the front bench of a regular cab. Good all around utility as well. SBR would be nice, but talking some more $$$ in stamps, etc.

3) Shotgun loaded out as mentioned above. Probably limits you to more self defense situations or survival hunting, unless you just happen upon some guys shooting skeet and you happen to have a few boxes of shells on ya.

For all of the above...how much ammo? If for self defense, that is one consideration. If you just happen to skip out of work to go plink, that is another. What about storage...locked and loaded, empty with chamber open and magazine separate?

A consideration you also have to think about is what happens if you are in an accident, pulled over, etc. and are going to be interfacing with law enforcement. Even though having the long gun is perfectly legal in most situations, how you explain its purpose (if you chose to at all) can have potential effects on how the day turns out for you.

Consider the following scenario:

You are driving across town to get groceries. You have your AK underfolder under the back seat. You also have your go to chest rig under there with 6 loaded mags. As you drive through town, you are in a fairly significant accident, one that you won't be able to drive the vehicle away from. Lets say even worse yet, you are injured significantly and are not concious to inform the first responders of the personal property in your car.

What happens to the rifle and ammo? What legal concerns would you need to plan for, especially if you happen to have folks involved that are anti-gun, especially anti "Assault Rifle." Here they have found an AK-pattern rifle, "Hidden" in the vehicle, and a "cache" of ammunition in a chest rig.

Are you suddenly considered a terrorist, or someone plotting a shooting spree at the local store?

Clearly to many of us that answer is a very defnitive "NO!" But...what happens if someone decides to make a big deal of it? How do you defend your legal rights?

Note that I'm not discouraging it, only commenting that having a truck gun brings with it a lot of responsibilities and potential what if's that need to be thought through, just like we all have probably thought very carfully about how we carry a handgun in a vehicle.

Oh my....
    You forgot the most pressing concerns of what/who should tell the firefighters/rescue who arrive and the vehicles on fire that there is a hazmat situation of live ammunition in the vehicle.
    Or what will people think when you off load this 'truck gun' with the 'cache' of ammo to a friends car at this crash scene. :rolleyes:

The responsible party for the weapon will be the LE agency if they locate the firearm in the vehicle prior to towing. They'll just merely put it into there safe keeping/secure storage/armory/evidence for safe keeping till you get out of the hospital and retrieve it. If the LEO's dont inventory your vehicle (and a good many won't at a crash scene), the tow company is responsible for the vehicle and contents.

AS far as a 'good' truck gun it is hugely dependent on your anticipated uses. All mentioned so far are good choices along with M1 carbine, Ruger Mini14/30, lever action in your choice of caliber or whatever strikes your liking at the moment.
    Have fun sorting out the one gun for truck duty. I know I'd change it often, but thats me.

Stay safe

Top Bottom