• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Duster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I am looking for options in purchasing a gun for sporting clays.
    I am on a limited budget but I have options.
    I am a Browning guy at heart but open to all suggestions.
    This will be a clay only gun, good to trade up with later.
    Limited skeet shooting sometimes. No trap.
    Auto or O/U is ok.
    I am not an 1100 fan as I am left handed and find it very hard to load for some reason, but willing to hear options.

Thanks in advance for the help.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I bought a Saiga about 5 years ago and have since put chokes in it, got 10 rnd mags and put an adjustable stock and pistol grip on it and it is a great skeet gun. They've since gone up in price, but as it is I have less than $600 in it.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's hard to say which one will fit you best, I've been going around trying as many as I can get my hands on for fit & leading the pack is the way the Benelli Sport II's come up & instantly fit me w/perfect cheekweld/sight picture, but I am not sure how they'd feel from a left-handed perspective but they're pretty reasonably priced if your on a budget.

Anyway you'll probably have to do the same thing, so I suggest that you go around trying every shotgun you can get your hands on to see which one fits you best.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It's hard to say which one will fit you best, I've been going around trying as many as I can get my hands on for fit & leading the pack is the way the Benelli Sport II's come up & instantly fit me w/perfect cheekweld/sight picture, but I am not sure how they'd feel from a left-handed perspective but they're pretty reasonably priced if your on a budget.

Anyway you'll probably have to do the same thing, so I suggest that you go around trying every shotgun you can get your hands on to see which one fits you best.

:+1: For the Benelli it's the only gun that instantly felt comfortable.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a couple options for you, a Browning Gold on 20 gauge, man that thing is sweet to swing! Give it a try before you say no.

Second choice to try is the BPS Pump, loads like the old Ithaca 37's (another good choice), through the bottom, easy on lefties. Light, many barrels lengths available, great furniture, and re-sells well.

If you would like to try either, give me a yell. I shoot at Indiana Gun Club 2x per month.

If you're desperrate for a SXS or OU, CZ has a very good lineup, many styles, weights, grades, and for $830-$850, easy to get through The Outdoorsman or Bradis, I shoot a Citori and Berretta Onyx you can try as well.

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    The good thing about the Benelli and the Beretta auto line is that they come with a number of shims that go between the receiver and stock that will allow you to adjust the stock. It comes standard with a cast off shim in place which sets it cast for a right hander. If you turn that shim around, it swings the stock for some cast on which is proper for a lefty. They also have shims in the kit that will let you raise or lower the stock to make it fit you. The adjustability of these guns makes them very popular choices with the sporting crowd. Kong

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That rabbit or bird won't know anything about shotguns. I think any shotgun that can get off two rounds quickly can be and is used for sporting clays. It's the operator and not the machine my friend. Use what you have and shoot what you bring.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Well, you mentioned budget constraints, but my personal opinion is you can not go wrong with a Browning Citori O/U. Save the money and wait to make the purchase. Fits many applications, holds value for trade in and up, and you won't be betraying your heart being a Browning guy and all!!

Now, that being said, the others are ABSOLUTELY correct, spend some time holding them, find someone who has models you are interested in that will let you shoot them (6birds has already offered, lucky you!!), and make the purchase that fits you best!

Happy Hunting!! er, shopping I mean!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Auto or O/U is ok.
    I am not an 1100 fan as I am left handed and find it very hard to load for some reason, but willing to hear options.

Get an o/u

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Auto or O/U is ok.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/28170-wts_2_ruger_red_labels.html

Clay Duster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks to all for the help.
    I purchased a Browning Citori Special Hunter.
    Very nice gun in great shape.
    I will upgrade someday to a 625 Sporting, so the resale shoul be good and
    the change to a new gun should not be that dramatic....

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Congratulations!! I personally think it was a great choice, but keep us informed of how it treats you. Also, when you do upgrade and want to let that one go.....keep us (me) in mind!!!
    :):

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Don't upgrade, add. The hunter will be your upland gun, the 625 will be ADDED to help improve your SC scores.

Great gun, did you go with a longer barrel set, or a shorter set? Send pics if you get a chance, and I hope to see you soon at IGC.

ccordray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Anything Benelli makes is always a good option. I've shot the Cordoba and Super Sport and would definitely buy either if I didn't have an SBE2.

Oops, I guess I was late to the party. Congrats on the new addition!

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anything Benelli makes is always a good option. I've shot the Cordoba and Super Sport and would definitely buy either if I didn't have an SBE2.

Oops, I guess I was late to the party. Congrats on the new addition!

I have not yet put my hands on a Cordoba, if you get a little free-time on your hands Ccordray could you give a quick run down on what they are like? (I really like Benelli's Super Sport / Sport II).

willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Citori 525

I just picked up a slightly used Citori 525 feild grade for 1150$ For that price I am using this baby for clays, skeet, and upland game. They are coming down in price due to the 625 coming out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom