• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    What is a great source for quality 45 ACP brass? Several on 1911 Forum have used brass, but I'd like to buy 1000 new. Mastercast has my bullets on the way, thanks to some great info in reply to a previous inquiry.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I know this isn't exactly what you are asking for, but up in Hamilton county your best bet is going to be to join HCFG or another private range and do range pick-ups. It gets me all the once fired .45ACP I need.

Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for the info; I am interested in new brass. I am a member of HCF&G, been so for several years. I will check out Starline. Always before I used to pick every thing up at Sinclair's when they were in Ft. Wayne. Since they were bought and relocated, I have not found a place that had anything in stock, especially VV powder.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    You might also give TJConevera a look - I've ordered bullets and brass from them and have yet to be disappointed - shipping from them to me (Castleton, IN area) has always been right @ 2 postal days.

TJCONEVERA.COM

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    May I ask why you're set on buying new 45 brass? In my opinion, that's like buying a box of brand new, still in the package, plastic Walmart bags, to line your bathroom garbage can with. You get them for free every time you go and you'll always have more than you need, if you look around a bit.

The other thing about 45 brass is that IF you buy a thousand new pieces, are you going to try real hard to keep track of it, as you shoot? I can tell you right now that if you're at a public range, this is just setting yourself up for frustration. Since 45 brass is more likely to SHRINK than grow, over its useful lifetime, why pay any more than you need to for components? Let the suckahs who DON'T reload shoot the "new" brass...once-fired 45ACP is ideal for reloaders to start with.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    There's a seller on gunbroker named DHTexas that sells processed brass. I have bought 9mm and 380 from him and it is very difficult too distinguish fully processed brass from new brass. He resizes, deprimes, deburrs and fully cleans them, including the primer pockets. I think he is roll sizing them now as well. I have been incredibly happy with his work. Especially the deburring since it helps all my rounds pass the dillon test chamber test after I reload :)

He currently has some active auctions but let me know if you would like his email to get a quote on what you want.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I don't buy a lot of brass, but I've had satsfactory dealings with Brassmanbrass: brassmanbrass.com Home Page

Many such suppliers claim "once fired" but that may or may not be true. If the brass comes from LE ranges or a range that requires shooters to buy its ammunition, it is more likely to be, truly, once fired. Ask probing questions before accepting the "once fired" claim. If the cases have multiple "chew" marks on the rims from extractors, they ain't once fired!

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    All my virgin brass needs are met by Starline.
    Great brass at a good price.
    However, .45ACP is probably the LEAST sensitive to quality of brass and I get great accuracy from 40 years of range pick-ups (not so for 9x19 or .40S&W)...

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    May I ask why you're set on buying new 45 brass? In my opinion, that's like buying a box of brand new, still in the package, plastic Walmart bags, to line your bathroom garbage can with. You get them for free every time you go and you'll always have more than you need, if you look around a bit.

I understand what you are saying and I wish that is how it worked but for me, it just doesn't. I'm one of the few who shoot .45acp at the local range. There is almost never any good .45acp brass to pick up. I also recommend Starline brass. Yeah, it seems a little silly to spend money on an item that you will certainly lose many of. It's either do the one time purchase of new brass or buy factory ammo and get your own once-fired brass. American Eagle runs around $20/50ct box. My last 500ct. box of Starline was $74.95. Yes, you at least get one shot + your brass with the factory ammo but there is also no guarantee that you'll find all of that brass either.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    ... There is almost never any good .45acp brass to pick up...

I guess that depends on what you're looking for in range brass. I pick up whatever is there and sort it out later. If it's not severely discolored or badly crushed, it is still entirely suitable for reloading. Truth be told, even when it's turned pretty dark, that's just cosmetics and can still be shot. If your local range doesn't see much 45 getting shot, go to one of the indoor ranges and ask if you can buy a bucket of their range brass. It will still cost way less than buying it new and you'll probably get a whole lot more, most of which will absolutely be once-fired.

mmtbusiness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    email/phone

There's a seller on gunbroker named DHTexas that sells processed brass. I have bought 9mm and 380 from him and it is very difficult too distinguish fully processed brass from new brass. He resizes, deprimes, deburrs and fully cleans them, including the primer pockets. I think he is roll sizing them now as well. I have been incredibly happy with his work. Especially the deburring since it helps all my rounds pass the dillon test chamber test after I reload :)

He currently has some active auctions but let me know if you would like his email to get a quote on what you want.

yes, i would like his contact info, thanks, matt

Top Bottom