• Favorite semi-auto .308?

• Total voters

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    What is your favorite semi auto .308? The choices are getting better out there with more AR style .308's. So what do you like and why? I'll start. I am a fan of the m1a. Love the ergonomics, parts availablity, and history.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Well I was gonna say thats kind of unanimous but then I saw there was only 2 votes

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I am done discussing, arguing, agreeing or disagreeing on the subject. I have had FALs, HKs and an AR10, but theres only (4) M1As in the safe right now!!!:thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with the others, just my personal preference.

:popcorn::popcorn:

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I have owned a G3. Got rid of it as soon as I could. Horrible excuse for a rifle. For semi-auto 308, the M1A rules, second choice FAL

What manufacture was your g3? Lots of **** companies made lots of **** rifles.. A proper HK or higher end clone is a thing of beauty but those $800 ones are complete trash, imho.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The rifle operated perfectly. It just does not "feel" like a rifle, harsh recoil because of the operating system, hard on brass, heavy and poorly balanced, no way to use a riflemans sling. I just did not like it. I know a lot of people like it, I just don't.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The rifle operated perfectly. It just does not "feel" like a rifle, harsh recoil because of the operating system, hard on brass, heavy and poorly balanced, no way to use a riflemans sling. I just did not like it. I know a lot of people like it, I just don't.

My same experience. I had a 91 clone and sold it because I shot a FAL and realized just how superior a gun the FAL is.

I haven't shot an M1A, but have handled one and the ergos just aren't as nice as a FAL. The AR erogs are awesome (as I am used to and AR-15), but I have never shot one to compare it to a FAL.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I think AR 10's are slightly more accurate, but M1A's are better for SHTF.

Don't know about HK, but AR10 are more accurate than an M1A and are easier to scope. They break down like an AR15 and are just as easy to clean. And if you're into it, a lot of AR15 accessories fit on the 10.

M1's are classic, though.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The AR-10's are nice but the problem I have is mags. Armalite mags aren't cheap nor are DPMS. Until the Rock River comes out (or at least is more available) there won't be a cheap option.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    SR-25

SR stands for Stoner Rifle. I have one of Eugene's last in .308 made in Florida; it remains unfired after about 9 years of ownership. Reading about this rifle is like reading about brain surgery. It MUST be broken in correctly with certain ammo and will take many hours at the range. It's effective range? A long long long way.

It is locked in a safe off my premises and IS NOT FOR SALE.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    My favorite is the M14; I've got two and want more! However, of you are looking for a shooter, I really think the AR-10 is a better choice. the accuraccy is as good or better, out of the box, than an M14, they are easier to scope properly and I personally think the AR platform is a very ergonomic one. I'd really like a 20" AR in .308 with a good stock and a railed fore-end.

However, I've got two accurate scoped Boltguns in .308 and two M14's, so I doubt I'll spring for an AR-10 anytime soon!

Doug K

shooter76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My AR-10 was likely to jam at first, but Armalite has changed a few things and will upgrade an old gun for you (for $90). If you have one it's worth it. It's also worth springing for a few $40.00 mags when you have around 2-3 grand in the gun and optic. I haven't had a lick of trouble since. They aren't exactly light though. I'd like to mess with a Springfield though!

Top Bottom