• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im sure, like everything else, you can probably buy car batteries cheaper at one or two places, and they are way cheaper than anywhere else.

Does anyone know where/what this place is? Sams Club? somewhere online? etc?

I think I need a battery for my Jeep.

thanks,
    clay

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I called autozone, walmart, and advanced auto before calling sams club. Called Sams and they told me $75 when the others were $95-100 for a 1998 toyota.
    Sams got my money....

ETA: this was last week.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Also, some of the places that rebuild batteries will give you a better battery with a better warranty for a lot less than a new.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    What kind of battery are you looking for? I run an Optima in my Jeep. I just replaced it a few months ago and every store that I called was within $10.00 of one another.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I don't need anything fancy like an Optima. This is just my DD. Looking for a decent cheap battery, nothing special.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    All batteries are not equal.

A $75 battery with 500CCA and 1 yr/ 6yr warranty
    ...is not the same as...
    A $95 battery with 700CCA and 3 yr / 8yr warranty

If you have a decent sized engine, the 500CCA battery will fail much sooner than the +$20 battery.

There are many factors you have to consider when buying a battery.

Vehicle ownership/life expectancy
    Price
    Warrenty (both free replacement and pro-rated term)
    Demand (4, 5, 6, 8, 10 cyl? Gas/diesel? extra electronics? big stereo?)
    Operating Environment (cold climate? hot climate? On road? Off road?)
    Frequency of operation (Garage queen show car? daily driver? Grandmas Sunday driver? Work vehicle?)

Take a decent mid range $95 name brand 24f battery. In a well maintained 4 cylinder Camry in Central Indiana that is kept in a garage, driven 15-30 minutes to work, parked in a parking garage, driven home, with a stop at the store, and then parked back in the garage may not wear out the battery the entire time you own it.

In the same Camry, kept outside at XXth and wherever, driven 30 minutes in stop and go traffic, parked outside at work, driven on bumpy city roads, and left outside again, that same battery may last 3 years.

On the other hand put that same battery in a 4 cylinder Tacoma off road truck that sits all week then goes out on mudding trails in 90* heat, bouncing off ruts, and spashing hood deep in mud may only last a season. This truck needs an AGM battery.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I bought my last battery at Autozone. They gave me 10% off for driving 3 miles down the road to their other location to buy. On a 179 dollar battery, that 10% paid for the gas then some!

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I think it was Advance that sold me my last one. Took it to the store to have the battery tested. It was time to replace it. So I sat in the parking lot and ordered online using a coupon then walked back inside to pick it up. They even installed it for me in the parking lot.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    All batteries are not equal.

A $75 battery with 500CCA and 1 yr/ 6yr warranty
    ...is not the same as...
    A $95 battery with 700CCA and 3 yr / 8yr warranty

If you have a decent sized engine, the 500CCA battery will fail much sooner than the +$20 battery.

Agreed. The sams battery is a energizer w/ 660 cca and 8the yr warranty.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    battery size and warranty I pay attention to.

battery manufactuer usually doesn't matter, as most of them are made in one of just a few factories.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    hey I guess I should update.

I priced batteries at autozone and oriellys, and they were around $100.

Then I went to Rural King. :)

The only thing I didnt like about RK is they couldn't spec a battery for my XJ, so I had to do it myself. they let be borrow a tape measure. ;)

I had a group 34 battery, and they had a group 75 and a group 34 that matched pretty well. The great thing is the batteries were normally $60, but they had a sale and the one I got was $10 off. I bought the group 75 battery because it had 50 more CCA than the 34. So it was 800 CCA @ 32F, and 650 @ 0F, Excide marked. Warranty is 60 months, probably prorated, but for that price Im not worried about it.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    DEKA!!!

After having 3 Wal-Mart batteries fail in prematurely in 3 different vehicles I finally put a pair of Deka batteries in the Wife's Truck. Got them down town from Taylor and Blackburn Battery Wharehouse. Truck starts better than ever.

These batteries came highly recommended to me from several truck boards, my boss at work (used to run an auto repair shop) and they seem to work great after about 18 months so far. Not really that much more than the Wal-mart batteries.

Top Bottom