Best pistol cartridge/rifle combo for IN deer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Well, as things narrow down it seems that the .44 mag is coming out on top in the popularity contest. It makes sense too in that it is pretty easy to stop in pretty much any place that sells ammo and buy a box of .44 mag ammo if necessary. I love Marlin lever action rifles, but the slow twist is a deal-killer for me - I like big fat cast bullets.

If that's the case go heavy with the .45 Colt and Ruger loads. It just gets better as the bullets get bigger.

clicky --> Real Guns
    clicky --> Real Guns

Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Ruger_7744_Resize.jpg

My wife just traded in her Ruger 99/44 Deerfield Carbine in last month for a new Ruger 77/44 -- she prefers the lightness and all-weather durability of it. What I think is cool is that it is functionally identical to my suppressed Ruger 77/22 pictured above it, so I'll be able to train her with the 77/22, then turn her loose in the deer woods with the 77/44.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    M4 - that is interesting as the Ruger 99/44 Deerfield was about the only autoloader I was considering. I did not care for the older Deerslayers but thought the Deerfield looked like a nice compact carbine. I had kind of ruled it out simply because there are rarely any available for sale. Was the weight the only thing your wife did not like?
    Jim

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Tough to beat the Marlin's in 44 mag and 45 lc. I use a 25 year old Marlin 1894 microgroove for hunting. The old Ranch Dog 265 grain cast bullet performs very well out to 100 yards which is a long shot in the southern Indiana woods. Look into the Wild West trigger if you buy a Marlin.:)

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    M4 - that is interesting as the Ruger 99/44 Deerfield was about the only autoloader I was considering. I did not care for the older Deerslayers but thought the Deerfield looked like a nice compact carbine. I had kind of ruled it out simply because there are rarely any available for sale. Was the weight the only thing your wife did not like?
    Jim

The weight, and the fact that it had a wood stock -- which is a bear to keep dry in a treestand when the rain starts falling.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    The new 44 mag Pumas (made by Chiappa in Italy) have a 1:18 twist that should be great for stabilizing heavier rounds. They also have case hardened receivers and better wood than the old Rossi built Pumas. The price is also substantially higher (roughly double). I've done a lot of research trying to find the best 44 mag (for me) and this one seems to have all of the right specs, but I've not found one in-store yet to put my hands on it. I also scored a great deal on a 44 NEF handi-rifle, so I'll probably just try single shot this year.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I love the .44 for deer. I use a single shot and what more do you need? I would like to have a .458 socom but the ammo issues keep me away.
    The longest shot I have taken is 75 yards, closest was 10. Strange thing about a 44 magnum is it doesn't seem to alarm the deer, I can shoot one in a herd and the others stand around. Maybe that is my ninja gun...

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    You know, in over 30 years of deer hunting I can count the number of deer I have taken at distances beyond 200 yds on one hand (with some fingers left); including hunting regularly in a wide open state like Kansas. The vast majority have been taken between 50 and 100 yds. My concern has always been with accurate shot placement with a heavy enough bullet to penetrate at range and kill cleanly. I have favored large-bore cartridges pushing heavy bullets at moderate velocities.

After hearing folks so far and doing some research it seems to come down to a lever gun in 44mag, 45LC or 454. The 480 ruger looked interesting but seems unavailable now. So, of the three 44/45s - does any one have a significant advantage?

Jim

In the thick stuff where my ground blind was this year I could have hunted deer with a hammer:bash: and a head of lettuce for bait.

Any of the short range pistol caliber carbines (Ruger 96/44. Rossi Puma) in .357, .44 or .454/.45 LC would have been just fine.

They do the job without demolishing too much meat.:)

It's not too expensive to get lots of practice in with the pistol caliber carbines because many of them have cheaper-to-shoot "parent" cartridges like the .44 Mag./.44 SPL, .357 Mag./.38 SPL, .454 Casull/.45 LC and the better you are with your gun the better your chances.

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    +1 for the Ruger 77/44 bolt action rifle. I have one and love it, it's very accurate with the full .430 diameter jacketed bullets (especially likes Winchester white box ammo). The 77/44 barrel has a 1:20 twist so it can handle the heavier bullets just fine, another good selling point for it.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    in my personal preference i wouldnt use a 357 mag on anything bigger than deer, let alone elephant. i think someone is blowing smoke up your rear

The elephant nowadays are not as hard to take down as they used to be. True trophy 100lb ivory elephants are very rare. I took my last one with a ballpeen hammer and an apple. The zoo was not happy.

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    You want "Hands down"? My money is on the .44 Mag. I bought a single shot, break open for cheap, put a good scope on it and I love it. It's light, easy to carry and I've used it for deer and on wild hogs in Texas, Great gun and ammo.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I've been thinking about going to a pistol caliber rifle for deer hunting over my current shotgun. Thanks for all the input so far in this thread, it's been a great read!

Top Bottom