• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    For the M&P9c the Hornady Critical Defense would work. It's made to work best out of a short barrel and felt recoil is reduced. Gold Dots in 124 grain for anything longer than a 3" will get the job done nicely.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If my target ammo fires in my firearm and will hit the Punk at 800 ft/s and 390 ft-lbs (or better) at 20 feet should be good enough for me. Oh, I want at least five rounds to get the Punk down on the ground (and dead)

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    I found the TNOUTDOORS9 videos very helpful in choosing my self defense ammo.
    He has performed lots of ballistic gelatin tests.
    Recently he put together a summery of his tests and choose his top five 9mm rounds.

MY 9MM EDC AMMO - YouTube

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A) there is no "best" ammo.

When in doubt, see if you can determine what your local PD issues and emulate them. (As said above). Also as said - be sure it'll run in your gun.

B). there may not be a best, but you can sure get into crappy ammo very quickly. Stay away from gimmicky crap. (Exception being the zombie stuff from Hornaday. The name is the only gimmick - same tech as their other stuff)

Gimmicky crap will also include "frangible" stuff as SD ammo. It simply doesn't offer enough penetration to make it effective.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd run either the HST, GDHP, or Rangers. In that order. Heavier is usually better, so I'd pick 147gr or 124.

cubstuff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Indiana
    I have Hornaday Personal Defense in my 9 mm, but that is just what I say when I was in the mood for buying. I am sure the others work well also.

Top Bottom