• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Thinking about purchasing a SMG to compeate at Knob creek in one or more subgun events. Is there any experience out there that can reccomend the "one" gun that would be good for a number of events?

DoubleJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    The Uzi looks like a good choice. Reasonable price. A reputation of reliability. Inexpensive and abundent parts. Many configurations. Top shooters at Knob creek seem to favor it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    mp5, HK94 havnt seen anyone use much else

Last fall's match results (partial). The MP5 and M-16/9mm dominate the closed-bolt categories, while the open-bolt divisions are a bit more varied.

Place Last Name First Gun Score

OPEN BOLT IRON SIGHTS
    1st Tapar Paul Max-11 91.01
    2nd Montgomery Andy Sterling 91.78
    3rd Montgomery Ron Uzi 91.91
    4th Mendenhall Monty Berretta M38 94.67
    5th Parker Jeremy Sterling 101.74
    6th Sawyer MG Sten 106.85
    7th McKown Tony Mac 11 107.19
    8th Blaschik Andy Sterling 107.84
    9th James Tom Thompson 108.54
    10th Overman Douglas Mac 10 109.05

OPEN BOLT OPTIC SIGHTS
    Place Last Name First Gun Score
    1st Sawyer MG Sterling 62.81
    2nd Tapar Paul Max-11 76.58
    3rd Jackson Garrett M11 76.74
    4th Winters Paul Thompson 78.77
    5th James Tom Thompson 86.7
    6th Sawyer Samantha Mac 11 90.83
    7th Stevens Clayt Max-11 91.78
    8th Carrere Joe Sr. Port Said 94.69
    9th Blaschik Andy Sterling 95.76
    10th Montgomery Andy Uzi 97.59

CLOSED BOLT IRON SIGHTS
    Place Last Name First Name Gun Score
    1st Carpenter Tom MP5 97.36
    2nd Herber Mark MP5 102.84
    3rd Carrere Joe Sr. M16 104.81
    4th Winters Paul M16 106.71
    5th Phillips Chuck MP5 109.6
    6th Davis Malcome M16 117.91
    7th Laub Pete M16 120.49
    8th Kummer Mike Reising 127.57
    9th Blaschik Andy MP5 134.95
    10th Dobbins Hugh MP5 136.96

CLOSED BOLT OPTIC SIGHTS
    Place Last Name First Name Gun Score
    1st Parker Jeremy M16 81.41
    2nd Laub Pete M16 83.01
    3rd Blaschik Andy MP5 83.51
    4th Davis Malcome M16 93.04
    5th Herber Mark MP5 93.4
    6th McReynolds Jamie MP5 100.32
    7th Carpenter Tom MP5 100.62
    8th Jackson Garrett Reising 106.23
    9th Tapar Paul M16 108.23
    10th Clayton James M16 109.6

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I stand corrected !!
    Everytime ive watched all ive seen was the mp5s & SDs, maybe my eyeballs are trained to only see the
    HKs.:D:D
    Doesnt the sterling have a mag that inserts from the side? Just seams to be an awkward SMG for a match gun...
    I guess its what ever works for ya
    & what a person can afford,,,

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I competed at Dan Peterson's Original Jungle Lane for quite a few years. I started with a Sten...did ok, then after a couple years switched to an UZI and did much better. The last three years Dan held this I shot a H&K 94 sear gun...2 firsts and a second.

Shooter521 hit it about right but of course it does depend on the class you want to shoot in. And one more gun that wasn't mentioned...Dan Peterson prover the Suomi can compete...if you can find one.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    ANY gun can compete, if the shooter can. However, certain guns make the shooter's life a little easier by virtue of their features (better sights, better reliability, easier reloads, slower ROF, etc).

The 72 round drums do cut down on reloads...lol. and the Suomi sights aren't too bad but add a red dot and you can easily compete against the MP5. The Suomi also weighs enough the recoil and muzzle climb is greatly reduced. I was just pointing out newer designs aren't always better...

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    If $$ was not a concern, I'd get a MP5 to run on the course. If $$ is an issue, then I'd go with an UZI. :twocents:

Well said. I second that. The Uzi is fun to shoot, reliable, solid and not overly expensive. I always heart that they're kinda spray and pray but then was very positively surprised when I got shoot one for the first time to find out that they are in short burst easy to keep on target.

DoubleJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Money is an issue so the Uzi seems to be the best choice for me. Many of the top shooters do us MP5s, 16s, and HKs but there out of my price range. The Uzi is also an easy switch of a top plate from iron sights to optics for shooting in an another match.

Well said; it is the shooter not the gun that wins the day.

Last edited:

mp40gunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Rushville, Indiana
    I have to say it is whatever you feel comfortable with that is reliable. I have (3) 2nd places and (1) 3rd from the KCR subgun matchs in the early 2,000's and (3) of those were won with my Savage M1 Thompson and the other with my MP40.

There are trade offs with each type of weapon that you might choose. Example, the Thompson is heavy, not the fastest mag changes, but it puts everything down that you hit with it. The MP40 has much quicker mag changes, but 9mm does not put steel down like 45 does.

I also helped put on ISSMC for 7 years in Richmond and got the chance to RO about 170 runs per weekend. IMHO the top shooters are the top shooters with whatever weapon they have in their hands. This fact has to been in the equation. I am lucky enough to know most of the tops place finishers listed in the KCR results and they are all very good shots with anything they pick up. Reliability of the weapon and the magazines that feed it are also paramount. I have seen way too many trophy runs come to an abrupt halt over a malfunction.

With all that being said, I am waiting on the Form 3 to clear to ship my IMI registered receiver no blocking bar Uzi to Richmond then do the Form 4 to me. I will always love my Thompson, but I think with a little practice my times with the Uzi will most likely beat my times with the Thompson.

Hope this helps you make the decision on what is best for you.

harrissr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    i have the mp5 and have had the uzi and the thompson and the sten. best bang for the buck : lage m11 fire. the mp5 being closed bolt will have a little better inherent accuracy. but the lage m11 is so easy to shoot and the parts are so cheap compared to the others and with the money you save on the gun you can buy a ton of ammo and get a lot of helpful practice. and with the new lage .22 kit available ( and it works unlike previous m11 .22 kits ) you can have even cheaper practice. i love my mp5 but if i didn't already have one i would without a doubt go with the m11 but only with a lage slow fire upper ( and it looks tough also )

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Little bit old thread, however, one of the factors with KCR is they break up their class into into four groups:
    - Closed Bolt with iron sights and with optics.
    - Open Bolt with iron sights and with optics.

Thus for closed bolt you are nearly limited to MP5s, M16/9mm and a few other limited options (i.e. WWII Reissing which has a little high rate of fire). Thus for all the close bolt runs you see lots of MP5s.

For the open bolt runs the Sterlings do well, the Uzi is also another good choice and lastly some of the slow fire MAC uppers do well.

Your best option is find a close buddy who is also shooting and see if the both of you can shoot, or at least try a few guns.

Regards
    John

Indiana State Submachine Gun Championship

Top Bottom