• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    1st Put your hands on as many pistols you can and figure out what feels best in your hand. Most manufactures make the same frame with different caliber and barrel combinations. Once you find the one that feels best its time to choose the caliber and barrel. Don't get stuck on a "bandwagon" ie glock,xd,m&p although these guns are quality guns do not make your choice based on the "my brand is better than that brand talk"
    Matt

Last edited:

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    Newbie = XDM. It has the most safeties on it. Until you get comfortable with handgun use and operation, you need the safest gun. The XDM is safe and reliable with multiple safeties including a grip safety so your hand has to be gripping the gun for it to go off (not dropped or something like that)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I second the recommendation to just touch a bunch. You will feel it when one of them melts into your hand and you know it's "your" gun.

For my smallish hands, the HK P30 is the *perfect* grip, but too expensive

It's really hard to go wrong with a G19 Glock. It's just big enough to be very shootable, just small enough to wear. This kind of gun represents the best all-around compromise there is.

Not that you have to get a G19-- just consider it as an archetype.An M&P9c, Kahr PM9, Sig P239, etc are all in the ballpark.

How the gun feels in your hand is 80% of the whole choosing process, imo.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    "most" guys here will likely point you to a 9MM.

Tons of good ones, Beretta, Glock, Smith M&P.......

The better/more diserable.......boom, the higher the price.

^^^What he said. But don't forget to look at the Ruger SR9 and SR9c too. You'll like the price better and they have some safety features that are, IMHO, good for someone (like me) new to shooting. I just bought my first gun - the SR9c. I REALLY like it. Good luck finding ammo though...

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    +1 on the SR9C. I love mine. It's small enough to conceal easily, takes larger mags for more capacity when you want it, reliable, and quite a bit cheaper than a G26.

And oh yeah, American made :patriot:

kings650

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Thanks you for great advices. I have decided to go with 9mm caliber gun, just not sure which one. I have shot my friend's ruger sr9 and like it very much. It felt right on my hand and price was decent, at least back then. I am also interested in kel tec p11 or pf9 because of their price, but I heard so much conflicting stories about them. Any one has a personal experience with them?

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I know that no one will agree with me, but her goes anyway.

I was looking for a 9mm and cost was a issue so I looked at KelTec and it's competition. I finally bought a SCCY CPX-2 a couple of weeks ago and I have no regrets. I know their older models really sucked but they have done lots of re-engineering and seem to have corrected the problems with the original CPX
    The gun feels great in the hand, clean lines and I've shot around 300 rounds and so far, it's working just fine, not one FTF or FTE.

Not bad for 300 bucks today.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    If the SR9 felt good in your hand, then I'll give another recommendation for the SR9C. Size and performance are very good.

+1. Pick up my sr9 today and I m stoked. Handled the sr40c at the store and would have loved to have gotten the 9c but they didn't have any in stock.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Any well made 1911 by a reputable manufacturer is a safe, reliable, and reasonably accurate first gun.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    I would think about summer carry as well... I picked up a .40 cal Glock 23. What's nice is 9mm, .357, and .22 conversions are readily available. It's nice for 3-season carry, but you'll need to wear loose shirts so as not to print to obviously in summer months

Top Bottom