• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Keep another thing in mind on this. Every year Palmetto State Armory (PSA) has a black friday sale that's absolutely rediculously awesome. Normally you can buy stripped lowers for $50 or $60 and plenty of other goodies. This year, I'm going to try to be smart and save up some $$ ahead of time just to be ready for it.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Since I am sitting in a similar position I am just going to ad to the OP's post.

I get that the lowers are all similar enough and the upper is kind of similar, but what has everybody used for good quality parts at a good price (best bang for the buck kind a deal)? Let's assume 5.56/223 and a 20" barrel for now.

Upper
    Complete Upper
    BCG
    LPK
    Barrel

DD, PSA, Phase 5, DPMS, Spike's......?

What about coatings on bolt carrier?

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    There are some differences. Some have drilled and tapped bolt catch holes so you don't have to fuss with a roll pin. Some have adjustable wedges (aka screws) to tighten up the fit between the lower and upper.

That being said, it mostly comes down to which one you think looks the coolest or is the cheapest. The only one I have had issues with was an expensive one. It also could have been an issue with the parts kit. My bolt catch wouldn't engage and I had to file metal off the bottom of the bolt catch so it could pivot all the way up.

mustangjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Jamestown
    Keep another thing in mind on this. Every year Palmetto State Armory (PSA) has a black friday sale that's absolutely rediculously awesome. Normally you can buy stripped lowers for $50 or $60 and plenty of other goodies. This year, I'm going to try to be smart and save up some $$ ahead of time just to be ready for it.

Saving as of now! LOL Have to check this out

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    If you can get your hands on one, Larue tactical and Aero precision make some sweet ones. I just got a black rain one which pretty sweet to. All receiver are forged but but not all are cnc from a solid chunk of aluminum.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Had a great a experience yesterday at US Defense Solutions. Bought a Spikes lower receiver and Rock River kit to put it all together. Great guys to deal with. Made me feel like family. Well worth the drive! They will be seeing me again and again! Now time to get to work and my new toy.

Thanks! See you soon to complete the build I hope

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    This. Unless you're headed into direct immediate combat or going straight to matches, 99% of the lowers out there will work perfectly for you!

What are some of the match quality receivers? Sorry, I posted before I read pgs. 2&3. I have 2 RRA receivers with match triggers, but I am fixing to swap them out for Geissele's.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What are some of the match quality receivers? Sorry, I posted before I read pgs. 2&3. I have 2 RRA receivers with match triggers, but I am fixing to swap them out for Geissele's.

The receivers and triggers you have are just fine for competing unless you're trying to win the national title. Most people out there can't shoot well enough to merit a better trigger than a Rock RIver two stage match. It won't pad a lot of ego's for me to say that, but when people are honest with themselves the RRA two stage trigger is a great piece of equipment and at the $100 price point it's better than most anything else out there.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The receivers and triggers you have are just fine for competing unless you're trying to win the national title. Most people out there can't shoot well enough to merit a better trigger than a Rock RIver two stage match. It won't pad a lot of ego's for me to say that, but when people are honest with themselves the RRA two stage trigger is a great piece of equipment and at the $100 price point it's better than most anything else out there.

I agree. I've installed a Geissele SSA-E and it is a fine trigger, but the Rock River is solid with a dependable break point. If you have the proper ceramic stones, a stock single stage trigger can be made to work very well, depending on your intended use.

Top Bottom