• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I'm sure that this question has been brought up before, but I'm new here and couldn't find it on a "search". I'm wanting to get into longer range shooting (ie. 250+ yards) and am confused on what caliber to get? I'll mainly be using it to target shoot and possible hunt with in future, who knows? Can anyone give me advise on what works best? .308, 30.06, 7mm???

Thanks

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm sure that this question has been brought up before, but I'm new here and couldn't find it on a "search". I'm wanting to get into longer range shooting (ie. 250+ yards) and am confused on what caliber to get? I'll mainly be using it to target shoot and possible hunt with in future, who knows? Can anyone give me advise on what works best? .308, 30.06, 7mm???

Thanks

any of the calibers you listed would be fine for 250 yd shooting. in reality any centerfire rifle is ok for 250 yds. 30-30 and rifles like that wouldn't be at the top of list but they can do it.

what would you like to hunt in the future? if you are talking about hunting coyote in the future id stick with 223,22-250,220 swift,243 calibers like that.

if you are talking deer to elk sized game id go between 26 cal and 30 cal.

give us more info and we can be more help

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Best sniper round??? Help please

Seems like the age old question doesn't it? I'm looking for some insight on which is the best sniper round for 250-800 yards. One that I can afford to shoot as target practice and maybe hunt with on a rare occasion. I am researching the .308, 30.06, and 7mm. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i just did a search and most of the theads i came up with discuss long range as in 700-1000 yds.

if killing paper at 250 is mainly what you want it for get a bolt action 223 and you will be fine. 223 is cheap(er) to shoot and wont punish your sholder like some of the other calibers listed. plus you wont be able to tell the diffrence between it and the other calibers at 250 yds.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i really dont think there is a best caliber. ive been doing alot of research and am leaning toward the 6.5x284. but the 6mmbbr and 260 are in the running.

those are more bench gun calibers (except the 260) to me a sniper rifle needs more portability and need to be more than a single shot. for a sniper rifle style gun id lean toward the 308. its very versatile, common, wont kill your sholder, and has the ballistics to do the 800 yd shot with a little pratice and wind reading

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    for your range, the .308 would probably be "best" suited.... of the calibers that will work in that range the .308 will have the longest barrel life, lower recoil, and a better selection of bullets for reloading, and loaded match ammunition.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    any of the calibers you listed would be fine for 250 yd shooting. in reality any centerfire rifle is ok for 250 yds. 30-30 and rifles like that wouldn't be at the top of list but they can do it.

what would you like to hunt in the future? if you are talking about hunting coyote in the future id stick with 223,22-250,220 swift,243 calibers like that.

if you are talking deer to elk sized game id go between 26 cal and 30 cal.

give us more info and we can be more help
    thanks for the advise. As for hunting, I would probably limit it to deer out west. I am hoping to find a caliber that is easy to adjust for wind, weather and drop. thanks

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    either would be fine for what you are describing. the good thing about the savage is the accutrigger on the newer models.

the good thing about the 700 is everyone makes aftermarket everything for them

and i believe the new savages are usually cheaper but dont quote me on that

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    thanks for the advise. As for hunting, I would probably limit it to deer out west. I am hoping to find a caliber that is easy to adjust for wind, weather and drop. thanks

if i was you id probably get one 308. in your other thread you mentioned taking 800 yard shots and the 308 sounds like it would be your all in one rifle. the 308 is one of the most versitle calibers out there.

to me the amount of drop of a caliber is not that important. you can pratice and know almost exactly where it will be at diffrent ranges (elevation not windage) the important thing to me is repeatability meaning the drop is always the same

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I have the accutrigger on my 10FP and I love it.

+1 for the aftermarket 700 support.
    Cool. I'm looking at a Savage 10FP in .308. It has the Choate (Ultimate Sniper) stock with the 24" heavy barrel. Do you know anything positive or negative about the "pillar bedding" on these stocks?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I am not a fan of the Choate stocks. I have fired a few and they just didn't feel good. I thought they were incredibly light so the felt recoil wasn't comfortable. I have a non adjustable mcmillan and I love it.

Any thoughts on a scope?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    to me the amount of drop of a caliber is not that important. you can pratice and know almost exactly where it will be at diffrent ranges (elevation not windage) the important thing to me is repeatability meaning the drop is always the same

Great point! Which is why reloading is so important. Keeps cost down so you can practice more and if you can load each round so you know it's consistent.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I am not a fan of the Choate stocks. I have fired a few and they just didn't feel good. I thought they were incredibly light so the felt recoil wasn't comfortable. I have a non adjustable mcmillan and I love it.

Any thoughts on a scope?
    I have a Blazer scope by Simmons that I took off of my AR. It's a 4x16x40 Boresighter. I hope it will work for now?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    For now. Generally the rule is to spend twice as much on your scope as you did for your rifle. Have you done any long range shooting? Reloading?

First I would say go to an appleseed. Great experience ( I hear) and they teach you to shoot out to 500 yards.

I just started to shoot at 300 and it is a whole different ball game. The error that threw off your bullet 1 inch at 100 yards now is a 3 inch error. BIG difference. I have a long way to go. But I have the rifle and the ammunition to get me there.

I see you are in Portage. Hey from another NWI guy. JP has a 225 yard range to practice your long range shooting on.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Thanks but what is an "appleseed" and where do I sign up?? I've been going to JP for years but sure wish someone had a range where you could reach out to 500 yards or so. I haven't heard of anywhere in NW Indiana to do that - have you?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I have no real knowledge here but FWIW:

The Deadliest Warrior episode that did Green Beret VS Spetsnaz had both groups using a 7.62x39. The russians of course had the Drouganov I forget which gun the Green Berets had but it was a 7.62 x39 as well.

Suprised me that either one used that caliber for sniping. Although maybe they have a shorter distance for their type of "long shot" ? :dunno:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom