• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I gave my Nephews a bunch of guides from this library for Xmas, they were half price then but still worth it at regular price.

JAMES KAVANAGH Knots - Eastern Mountain Sports

Above posts are all good. I would add learning the basics of lashing moves you up into another level. Being able to do a splice is nice and really rather easy to learn.

Hard to imagine life with out the bowline, clove hitch, half hitch, taught line
    Rope Knots - Best Knots Animated and Illustrated

Fishing, I am not sure when I did it but at some point I jumped from the Trilene knot to the Palomar. Probably 20 years ago watching Hank Parker tie it. So much easier on cold wet days. Easier to teach too.
    Fishing Knots - Animated Fishing Knots - Step by Step Fishing Knots

Last edited:

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    thanks guys, i now know a good thread to use for knots.

Excellent info, I've written down the types of knots with a simple "used for" name as a quick guide. I just realized I have no C clips and wil have to buy a couple to add to my bag along with actual repel or climbing rope.

Originally I thought this was lame for me to ask, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with the same thoughts. The quick ref. guides are invaluable, and an excellent gift!

sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    As a lineman, I use knots every day and I have used them countless times outside of work. It is great to know knots and when and where to use them but it is also important to have good quality rope. Some rope doesn't like to hold knots as it well as others. Once you get them figured out, try tying them behind your back or with thick gloves on because sometime you'll have to tie a knot in a less than ideal situation and it will come in handy.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I'll have you know that this thread and the animated knot website has turned me into a knot freak. I've spent hours with paracord learning all the useful ones and am practicing daily. I want to throw out my ratchet straps and use trucker's hitches and versatackles for everything! AH!

Nick4562

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    know a couple climbing knots, quick release knots, hitches, and knots that combine different ropes together. There are pretty good apps out there.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Great thread!!! I have been trying to learn as many new things as I can for not only myself but to teach my young son as he is really wanting to go camping and fishing more this year. We already do "learning" trips but I want to expand what I am able to teach him.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    The figure 8 series (on a bight, followthrough), the double overhand bend, the ring bend, the trucker's hitch, the bowline (with backup), the clove hitch, the prusik, the butterfly knot, and the taughtline hitch.

All of those will cover almost everything you might encounter in life. Except the taughtline hitch those are the ones we require our students to learn for rescue.

Everyone of these plus the Beckett/Sheet bend

Top Bottom