• ...and so much more!
  • ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    Evan-

There have been alot of good knives posted on this thread... but I do have one question before I throw in my two cents. What are you wanting to cut? I mean I would't take an AR bird hunting, even if I do think it's the best platform out there.

ie: food prep, field dressing game,EDC, defense, survival...

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've never knew much about the busse but will check the out

They're big $$$, but you really get what you pay for in both materials and craftsmanship from Busse. Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard knives are lower-cost alternatives with little sacrifice in regard to quality and looks.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Evan-

There have been alot of good knives posted on this thread... but I do have one question before I throw in my two cents. What are you wanting to cut? I mean I would't take an AR bird hunting, even if I do think it's the best platform out there.

ie: food prep, field dressing game,EDC, defense, survival...
    I agree here. But if it is my ONLY knife it would be 7".

Best value under $100, my $30 BK7 or $60 BK1 but then again you can't get them for that price any more but the BK7 is back and I think in the $60-70 range? RAT, RTAK are similar knives.

Even the thought of a $100 Busse requires investigation. I don't care if it is dent, ding and all F'd up, it would be a Busse for $100.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I pretty much have a standing offer to anybody that wants to beat on them is more than welcome to do so if your ever in my neck of the woods.

I can attest to that, I have beaten on a couple of Tyler's blades. Made me a believer, I'm looking for some Busse/Swamp Rat/Scrapyard blades now.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    I do agree the Busse family of knives is one of the best out there. I only own one, a Swamp Rat M6. And while it is the toughest knife I own, It doesn't fit into the under $100 price mark, and it isn't practical for many tasks. I can not attest personally to the scrapyard line but I am sure they would be an excellent value for any one looking for the type of knife in that price range. And I have a feeling I will be picking one up shortly.

But back to the original question... out of the knives I personally own the one that gets the most use is my CRKT M16 (EDC). Next to that is my Buck Vanguard 692(light field use). Neither of those knives are any where near the quality of my Swamp Rat, but you could probably buy both of them for under $100 and get more practical use out of the pair.

If I could only have one knife and only had $100 It would probably be a multi tool like the Leatherman Wave... Lots of real world uses.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I do agree the Busse family of knives is one of the best out there. I only own one, a Swamp Rat M6. And while it is the toughest knife I own, It doesn't fit into the under $100 price mark, and it isn't practical for many tasks. I can not attest personally to the scrapyard line but I am sure they would be an excellent value for any one looking for the type of knife in that price range. And I have a feeling I will be picking one up shortly.

But back to the original question... out of the knives I personally own the one that gets the most use is my CRKT M16 (EDC). Next to that is my Buck Vanguard 692(light field use). Neither of those knives are any where near the quality of my Swamp Rat, but you could probably buy both of them for under $100 and get more practical use out of the pair.

If I could only have one knife and only had $100 It would probably be a multi tool like the Leatherman Wave... Lots of real world uses.

I can second that, before I bought my ZT 0301, that was my EDC for nearly a year. It's a huge knife, available online in the neighborhood of $40-50, great size folder for self defense, but not so ungainly that you can't perform day-to-day cutting tasks with relative ease.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    You can get a Falkniven F-1 for under $100. Best knife I know of for that money.

I've heard pretty good things about their knives, looks like the under $100 retailers for that blade are few and far between, but I saw a few in the Google product search. Looks like they're using VG-10, great steel choice as well.

KSF (knivesshipfree.com) has them for $110ish, here's the info on that one

Fallkniven F1 Swedish Military Survival Knife--VG10 Laminated Steel KnivesShipFree.com

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    I can second that, before I bought my ZT 0301, that was my EDC for nearly a year. It's a huge knife, available online in the neighborhood of $40-50, great size folder for self defense, but not so ungainly that you can't perform day-to-day cutting tasks with relative ease.

Where in the world can you get a Zero Tolerance 0301 for $40-$50?!? I will buy 10 of them. Last time i checked they were about $220-$235...

firstrock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's my opinion. The OP stated the best knife for $100 or less and gave some examples as to why we think a particular knife is the best. No particular use for said best knife was given which opens the door pretty wide. Whith that being said, my particular knife is for daily use.

I would say the Buck Rush fits the bill perfectly for me and here's why.

1. Buck's Forever Guarantee- Buck will repair or replace any knife due to failure or workmanship.

2. An American company and made here in the U.S.!

3. Great steel (420HC Stainless)

5. Skeletonized aluminum frame (easier to clean out pocket lint!)

6. Stays sharp for a good bit with every day use

7. Assisted opening with saftey

8. Very light- 2.4oz

9. Looks intimidating for it's size! :D

MSRP is $82 but it can be had for less online.

BUCK RUSH

Buck%20Rush%20290%20Plt.jpg

John

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Note that he said BEFORE he bought the 0301. He was talking about the CRKT M16 (EDC) being $40-50. But if you find any 0301's at that price I'll buy one, too :)

Thanks for the clarification, you beat me to it. Although I had to re-read my own post first, I thought surely I didn't post that....

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    My first Spyderco arrived this week, I got an Endura 4 plain edge with the ZDP-189 blade and FRN handles. So far, so good. Once I have a week's worth of use with it, I'll post a more definitive review. I paid $65 to my door, got a great deal on it, considering that the knife lists MSRP of $144, although can be had on average for around $80-100.

E4ZDP-189.jpg

* This is not my knife, this is someone else's picture, but it's the same model I own.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Ok Mr. Ocean......... where did you get that knife for that price :)

Saw it for sale over on Bladeforums.com. There are some good deals to be had over there from time to time, but the good deals go really fast. I just happened to be looking for some more information on ZDP-189 and that returned in the search results, I couldn't resist at that price. I love the knife, super lightweight and thin, nice long 3 3/4" blade, super sharp.

Top Bottom