• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    Early model Sig 556. The early model is key because that ensures you get the top-quality Swiss-made internals.

The gun itself is like an odd hybrid of AK and AR. It meets your criteria if you buy one used, and it is a HELL OF RIFLE.

Last edited:

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Going way out on a different limb, I'd take a Ruger 77 International (18" Bbl) in 270 Winchester with a relatively low 2x-8x Leupold variable.... much better for 300 yards than most anything else mentioned other than .308; also great for small game with 90-100 grain HPs or even lead gas check loads. Mine is 7 1/4 pounds with scope, and way shorter than most other centerfires. Mannlicher stock is super comfortable. Ammo available most anywhere you can find 223 or 30/30. Done business.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If I'm alowed to use a rifle I already have and spend the $1000.00 on the rifle, I'd put the money towards reloading supplies for the one I have.

I have a S&W Model A (built on a Husqvarna 1640 action) in 30-06 with a Redfield 2-7 power scope. For those not familiar with this rifle, the Husqvarna 1640 is an improved Mauser.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I'm going old skool and going with a Blunderbuss FTW!

You can even go with a contender and just swap your barrels out to suit your needs.

Hollywood thought me that you can kill a moose with a Nylon 66.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    The OP's screenname is Mosinguy. MOSINguy! It's a trick question. Think inside the box people... Mosin's are like opinions, buttholes, jeeps, camaros, and mustangs; Everyone has one! Therefore parts and ammo will be overly abundant. ...and since Mosin's never break, so all you need to worry about is ammo! The answer is clearly the Mosin Nagant! It is capable of harvesting deer out to 300 yards, defending the compound, and starting a campfire all at the same time! Since AR's and AK's are out of the question, the Mosin will reign supreme!

-Because of forests and hills, 300 yards is probably the max distance you'll be shooting.
    Mosin: Done!
    -Ammo must be common.
    Mosin: Done!
    -Parts must be somewhat easy to find.
    Mosin: Don't need no parts, super done!
    -Reliability is a huge plus (must be easy to care for as well).
    Mosin: Uh, Done!!!
    -Optics are allowed, but not nessecary.
    Mosin: this is getting old. Done.
    -You have only $1000
    Mosin: I just bought ten of them. Done, x10.
    -Magazines (if used) must be relatively cheap.
    Mosin: No mags needed! Booyah! Done!
    -Primarily used for taking game but can be used for self-defense in a pinch.
    Mosin: When you need to put a fist sized hole in someone and set their clothes on fire at the same time, accept no substitute. (then roast marshmallows over said fire using bayonet.) UBER-DONE!

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ok guys, what do you think is the best Indiana specific SHTF rifle?

Edit: upped the budget :D
    -Because of forests and hills, 300 yards is probably the max distance you'll be shooting.
    -Ammo must be common.
    -Parts must be somewhat easy to find.
    -Reliability is a huge plus (must be easy to care for as well).
    -Optics are allowed, but not nessecary.
    -You have only $1000
    -Magazines (if used) must be relatively cheap.
    -Primarily used for taking game but can be used for self-defense in a pinch.

Oh yeah, NO AKs or AR-15s!

What would you guys, under these guidelines, consider the best SHTF rifle for us Indiana residents?

P.S. yeah SHTF weapon discussions have been beaten to death on the Internet. I've not however seen one with these stipulations. Let's see what you guys think.

I've always said that the last two guns I'd ever get rid of are my 10-22 & mark III. If we're talking survival then the 22lr is usually going to win because of the light weight, and extremely high ammo capacity such little space and cost.

If we're talking about things getting nastier than survival, then I can only say that the rifle I train long range shooting with would be by my side. It always cracks me up that the people out there think they're going to have some nice standing target at 300 yards who's going to be perfectly broadside giving the largest target size imaginable. That's not how it works folks. I'll take my archaic bolt action that shoots 1/2" groups and stay beyond 400 yards in that nice 400 - 700 yard window. Afterwards, I'll pickup the AK's packed with rusting wolf ammo and use the mosin nagant as the fence posts that God intended them to be. We live in a state that's mostly flat ground with a lot of corn fields. If I can't have my AR, then I'm taking my bolt action rifle that I know like the back of my hand.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    He said under $500 and for taking game, the .223 isn't something I would want to shoot a deer with unless I was 100% sure I could get a headshot off.

You've obviously over estimated the durability of deer. I'd be willing to bet that thousands have been taken with a .22 lr and .22 WMR. I know personally, one fellow who shall remain nameless, who has killed one with a .17HMR (Yes it was a headshot) . .223 is easily enough gun for deer if you can hit them in the chest cavity. Especially with some of the new heavier bullets designed for hunting. Sierra Match Kings aren't your best choice, but the GameKings would definitely do the job. Especially since we're discussing SHTF stuff.

DISCLAIMER: .22 caliber weapons of any variety are currently illegal for deer in the state of IN

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I think if you've ever been to northern IN you'd realize 300yards is a short distance...you can stand on a stool (to see over the corn) at the IN/IL line and see Ohio....Either way, I'd go with a mosin or a 30-30 for Indiana although I really prefer a 30-06. Stay away from remington semi-autos, they are only factory rated for 400 shots before needing a rebuild, alright if you only use it to hunt deer with once a year but I don't think that fits your requirements.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Sierra Match Kings aren't your best choice, but the GameKings would definitely do the job.

I'd have to really question that. I know Sierra has said not to use those matchking bullets for hunting, but I don't think it's because they are bad for the job. I think it's got more to do with wanting to sell more hunting types of bullets along with their matchkings. Our military uses matchkings in both their 308's and 5.56's. The bullets fragment more easily and that's not always a bad thing either. I don't mind the idea of a bullet fragmenting coming through a shoulder and sending all kinds of chunks and pieces through a deers lungs & heart. It's like a hand grenade going off inside the chest cavity. There's a lot of penetration tests out there that show the matchkings doing equally as well as other typical hunting bullets. I don't think I'd try a 223 matchking on anything bigger than a deer if I had a better option available, but my go to accuracy load is a 69gr matchking and if it were legal I'd take a deer with it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I just wonder how much ammo you guys with the larger calibers have on hand RIGHT NOW?

That and I'd love to see what's left of the squirrel and rabbit you try to hunt with those. Because the deer herds won't last long and you'll be down to shooting pretty much anything with four legs.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would buy an Arsenal SGL-21 or Arsenal SGL-31, or maybe an Arsenal SLR-106.

None of them are AK-47s, though they look similar, they are semi-auto.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just wonder how much ammo you guys with the larger calibers have on hand RIGHT NOW?

That and I'd love to see what's left of the squirrel and rabbit you try to hunt with those. Because the deer herds won't last long and you'll be down to shooting pretty much anything with four legs.

Personally I've got plenty for my go to guns, but more to your point, I don't think the squirrels & rabbits are going to last much longer either. Then the groundhogs and raccons are going to start looking tastier and tastier along with possums and other animals that aren't normally eaten. I also have a bb gun at the house with the idea in mind that if I had to start popping birds for chicken wings then I could do that as well.

I think the wildlife will all be nearly wiped out after 3 months if the grid ever went down. Then again, post SHTF there will be all kinds of new places for animals to hide when nobody is mowing their yards and the grass gets high. It's possible some animal populations could really take off in that situation, but I highly doubt it.

Top Bottom