• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    While we have a robust and informative discussion on hearing aides going on here, we should also discuss the best electronic ear protections you've found.

Help some youngsters out and save their hearing!

What your go to hearing protection when you're at the range?

JimmyC1924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2024
    Indiana
    While we have a robust and informative discussion on hearing aides going on here, we should also discuss the best electronic ear protections you've found.

Help some youngsters out and save their hearing!

What your go to hearing protection when you're at the range?
    Very Inexperince and don't know how to add pictures, but walkers razor slim work for me but there kinda cheap

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I've gone through a lot of different styles of ear pro over the years. This is what I am using right now. They are really good at noise suppression for an ear bud. They link up to my phone via Bluetooth easily, so I can listen to my favorite RUSH playlists on YouTube while I mow my lawn. They also do well at the range as they have a 'sound on' mode where I can hear sound around me like normal conversations and still provide 29 dB SNR while sending rounds downrange.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country

Otto noise barrier micros work great. Started with Howard Lieght muffs, went to a set of Axils plugs, and finally got a pair of Ottos. They're the best I've tried. Good for range use and hunting.

Last edited:

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I have a set of Sordin Pro electronic earmuffs and a set of moldable in-ear (non-electronic). Indoors I use both at the same time.

Edit:
    The moldable ones are from this company.

Last edited:

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    Proears brand not the cheapest but the compression is the best and in stereo (each side independent) some models use what I call obscure or expensive batteries. I converted mine to aaa but they now make a model that uses AA cells.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’ve got Peltor Sport Tactical 500 Electronic Earmuffs. Bluetooth compatible with extremely clear sound. Excellent noise reduction at 26db and they have very comfortable gel ear pads.

joe138

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Heltonville
    When on the range with multiple shooters with rifles, I use ear plugs under either Peltor comtac or Sordins. Either of the electronic muffs work well when it is only pistols.

keeph8n

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    I have a set of the Peltor Sport Tactical 500s. Work really well and are comfy for a full days shooting.

Do want to go to a set of inner ear ones for a bit more comfort.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There is no actual answer to this. It all depends on what you are doing. As someone said above, running suppressed is the best help, but even with that, sometimes you still need some ear protection. If I am going by myself. I don’t worry about having the fancy electronic ear muffs. Some guns seem to push the muffs off kilter, so ear plugs are better.

Rio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2017
    SE Indiana
    I have been through several pairs and types. When teaching I use a set of walker razors. When shooting most of the time I use axil corded with a custom molded set of inserts.
    ISO ears is an Indiana company, we have had a few pairs of theirs that we bought or won they are not bad.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    I've gone through a lot of different styles of ear pro over the years. This is what I am using right now. They are really good at noise suppression for an ear bud. They link up to my phone via Bluetooth easily, so I can listen to my favorite RUSH playlists on YouTube while I mow my lawn. They also do well at the range as they have a 'sound on' mode where I can hear sound around me like normal conversations and still provide 29 dB SNR while sending rounds downrange.
    Indoor range?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Proears brand not the cheapest but the compression is the best and in stereo (each side independent) some models use what I call obscure or expensive batteries. I converted mine to aaa but they now make a model that uses AA cells.
    Pro Ears were the biggest mistake I've made buying ear pro. They are complete junk and I couldn't recommend them less.

I'm normally not that negatively opinionated about products (although there are plenty I don't care for), but I do my best to steer people away from Pro Ears. Mine broke constantly, are not remotely water resistant, and can't handle any bit of moderately hard use. They were an unbelievable waste of my time and money.

PE1.jpg

ears1.jpg

Even cheap electronic ear pro have provisions to help keep water out of the electronics...
    PE6.JPG

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Anyone use 3M EEP 100s? Thinking about getting a set because they take 3M replacement plugs and the screw style hits supposedly 30db reduction.

Top Bottom