• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty
    Everyone has their own preference . I'm not a Glock fan . I would suggest trying out a few guns to see what feels right to you . If looking for defense I would lean towards a Ruger .357 or larger revolver for a first gun . If your looking for a target gun I would start with a Buckmark , a Ruger Mk. III , a Colt Woodsman or an older model High Standard semi auto .22 .

jacobswell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Warsaw
    +1 for glock. I carry a H&K USPC 40 and love it but H&K is not for everyone. Depending on your budget, small budget go glock, bigger budget look at the Sigs and H&K.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Are we going to start a pool on just how long this thred is going to go? It's pretty hard to go wrong with one of the major brands. Do as much reading as possible and try to shoot some if you can. Once you get it narrowed down to use and caliber, start reading again, this time range reports and comparisons.

NRA Lifer since 1971

FlearoyBrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    East Central IN
    Wow...what a mess of information. My advice would be to read all this, then think about it for a few days. Set your budget, and then window shop. After you think you know what you want, wait another couple of days, you may change your mind. Don't get all tied up in brands either, as not every model one brand makes is as good as another model someone recommends them for.
    Glock a

FlearoyBrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    East Central IN
    Well I went throught this same process about a year ago. My advice to you is, read all these posts and then think about them for awhile. Here are what IMHO you should do:
    1: Decide on what your budget is...this will limit what you can even shop for. If you can't afford a Kimber 1911 or even any new 1911 for example, don't even shop for them.
    2: After you fix your budget, go to your local gun shop and window shop for guns in your price range. Ask to hold them, you need a gun that fits your hand.
    *Don't get tied up in brands, as not all models a brand makes are as good as the model they are known for*
    3: Wait...after you shopped around and think you know what you want...wait. Think this over for a few days or a few weeks, you might change your mind.
    4: Once you decide on a model, call around to different places.
    5: Buy and Enjoy!

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Glocks are good starter guns like many have said, just don't be a jackass when taking it apart. As much as I have a love hate relationship with my beretta I think it was a great starter gun, VERY simple disassembly, easilly changed between .22, 9mm, and .40 with the swap of the slide and mag, and plentiful parts and mags that are cheap.

I really don't think it matters which you buy but I think the #1 thing that should be in your mind is not to get ripped off. I know when I was first entering the firearm community I didn't realize how much some of these companies like CTD were ripping me off. Took about a week before I found AIM and a few others, finding this site was probably the best step you could have taken yet. Do your research as others have suggested and you will be fine.

Good luck!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    My recommendation would be a Springfield XD. They are great, dependable, and great value for the $$

Springfield XD's or even better the XDm's!! I have an XDm and LOVE it and the XD's. They are easier to disassemble than a glock, and the XDm's have a match barrel and hold 20 rounds chambered in 9mm.

Any way you slice it...a new gun is a new gun!:rockwoot:

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I bought a 6 inch Ruger GP100 revolver in .357 magnum for my first handgun. It is easy to shoot and clean and you can put either 38 special or .357 magnum ammo through it. It is still one of my favorite guns to shoot at the range. It is not for carrying since it is heavy but it is a great starter gun.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    3" Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum.

Gotta agree here. Proven reliable workhorses. If you want to watch your budget on a first gun you can find the old Security Six with adjustable sights to learn on. They can be picked up between $200 - $300. There is a shooting range that reports having one for rent that has over 1.5 million documented rounds thru it :rockwoot:.

A stainless workhorse like this one can be had cheap and are very proven and a great starter gun. IMHO

IMAG0333.jpg

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Best Gun

What will be the use for the gun you want? I suggest you go to a gun shop or a gun show to find what fits your hand, if lucky and can shoot a few even better. For me, most important is to see how easy it is to break down for cleaning. Good luck on your choice.

Top Bottom