• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would recommend the S&W Night Guard. It's a revolver that is good to start with and keep. You will, most likely, never find any reason to sell or trade.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I say go shopping. Find the one that fits you hand. The one that points the best for you. If possible, see if there is a range that rents handguns and try a few. I will not sugest one brand over another, find what works for you. Shoot as many different as possible. Good luck, happy shooting.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    What he said, but first hold the G26 :D

I say go shopping. Find the one that fits you hand. The one that points the best for you. If possible, see if there is a range that rents handguns and try a few. I will not sugest one brand over another, find what works for you. Shoot as many different as possible. Good luck, happy shooting.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    When you go out shopping hold them in your hands and see how they feel. When I went out looking for my first handgun, not very long ago, I researched and got a good idea of what I wanted. When I got to the store I held a different gun and l knew that was the one for me. I ended up with a 1911 when I was really looking for an XD.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I would recommend a good quality compact 9mm for a 1st handgun. Covers all grounds, target, carry, and home defense and is light and easy to conceal. I'm just as bias to S&W M&P's as all the Glock responders are to their handgun of choice.

The choice is yours and yours alone. Handle and shoot as many as you can and then the decision will be a lot easier when you realize and discover the one that feels and fits best to you. Don't worry, you'll know which one it is. Research ask a lot of questions and then research some more. Visit all the maufacturers websites and see and read what they have to offer and then go to the gun shop and experience them up close and in hand. Most importantly, have fun. Your first handgun will be the one you never forget.

Don't be swayed into buying your first handgun based solely on a strangers recommendation. A pleasant experience can become very confusing when, and you will, hear many people say "buy this one, it's the best". You will find which one is best for you and you will know it when you do!

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Unfortunately, most shooters are going to recommend their favorite handguns. Not really where you want to start out. Get a .38 [or .357] revolver, 4" barrel. No switches or levers to learn, you can tell at a glance if it's loaded. Load with factory hollowpiont ammo, use whatever's cheap for practice. If you want to get into the hobby of shooting, then start thinking semi-auto's, if they appeal to 'ya.

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    narrowing the search

I suggest that after you find 3 or 4 good candidates to look them up on YouTube. More than likely someone has done a full length review on them (for the most popular makes and models at least), and it gives you a good preliminary view of the firearm before spending time and gas hunting your choices down in person. My first handgun was a Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W. I love it, but it is better suited as a home defender as it is kinda big. So I also purchased a subcompact model 9mm PX4 for my CCW. Px4 Storms are a little pricey though. I am also finding myself attracted to the Glock 19 as of late. Be carefull. Once you buy one gun it's hard to not want another. ;)

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I started out with a Glock 19 and converted to an M&P 9mm. My advice would be to borrow, rent, or whatever you need to do to shoot as many different firearms as you can to find something that feels good and works for you. There are few posts on here about the rental guns at Pop Guns - that may be a good place to start if Pops has guns that you're interested in. Good Luck.

RNOKID

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    MMorph55
    It depends on want you want it for. And what your size is. I had a couple of Glocks, 19 and a 36. I found them good to shoot but uncomfortable to carry. I have a Sig 229, I like to shoot it at the range, but when I shoot it in comp. I find, I'm always readjusting my grip. I've found I like to carry a para-ord LDA 45. It fits my hand better than the 229, It's flat, and I'm not readj.'s my grip. I also carry a Charter arms .44 bulldog 2". It's light, fits in the appendix carry area and dependable. Every time I pull the trigger, It goes boom and makes a hole where I aim it. It just depends on what you want to do with it.

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    As much as I hate to say it, a Glock. They are reliable and cheap. BUT, My second choice would be one of those new ruger revolvers. Doesn't leave empty casings laying around and will NEVER jam!

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    I currently carry a sig pro 2022 9mm. It's a fantastic polymer gun and very very underrated i think. And you can never go wrong w/ a Sig. I also recently shot an M&P and I think they're fantastic as well. GREAT striker fire system. The grips are more ergonomic than glocks and the trigger and other features are superior to the XDs. Regardless for your 1st handgun I would only get a 9mm.

wraymusicman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Colorado
    I have to say, I get this question a lot working in a sporting goods store. My advice, every single time, is to find a range that rents handguns and try a few out before buying. I can't tell you how many times I have guys come in wanting to trade their most recent purchase for what they decided they really want, only to realize that they're going to take a bath on the first one on trade.

I also subscribe to the theory that there is nothing better than a good DA revolver for a first gun. Breath control, grip, sight picture, recoil, and cleaning / care are all reasons to keep it simple to start with, and go from there.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    It depends on what you want to do with your first handgun. If you want it to learn to shoot and to shoot well. Buy a good .22 revolver or autoloader. Ammo is cheaper than centerfire ammo, almost no recoil to worry about. Use this to work on your sight and trigger control then step up to something bigger. I have seen to many new shooters buy to much handgun to start with and then do nothing but develope bad habbits.

If you want to start with something bigger and want something more for defense then I agree with woodsie57. Buy a 4 inch .357. You can practice with light .38 loads and if you need more power. Revolvers are very reliable. Unless there is someything wrong with the ammo they go bang. Even the best of the autoloaders will jam sometimes. Sometimes its not even the gun or the ammos fault, sometimes it in the grip of the owner.

Start out with something simple, learn to shoot well with it, and then step up to something with more power, or an auto loader if you want.

Top Bottom