• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    I plan on owning multiple 1911's in my collection, think my first purchase may come down to availability and warranties. I know Springfield will still uphold their lifetime even if you are not the first owner, anyone comment definitively on the others?

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I plan on owning multiple 1911's in my collection, think my first purchase may come down to availability and warranties. I know Springfield will still uphold their lifetime even if you are not the first owner, anyone comment definitively on the others?

I think your initial want of a Springer Mil-Spec is dead on for a great entry level 1911 and would serve you well.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I'm in the Rock Island club myself. I got a very nice, full-size tactical, used for a little under $400 a yr or so ago. Smooth, nice shooter.

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    Thank you everyone for all the input, much appreciated. I am going to travel around tomorrow to some LGS's and see if I can handle a bunch of different models to see which feels best to me, and then make a decision from there (hoping I can find a range to inspect..)

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Thank you everyone for all the input, much appreciated. I am going to travel around tomorrow to some LGS's and see if I can handle a bunch of different models to see which feels best to me, and then make a decision from there (hoping I can find a range to inspect..)

We might cross paths at some point. From what I have been told, look at what Indiana Gun Club in Fishers has to offer. They supposedly have a great selection.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

Ed Brown, Wilson and many more honor their customer service even for the second owner. You might want to buy an RIA just so you know what to look out for in the future and not buy. :D

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    If you had to discount one of the manufacturers in terms of fit and finish, which would it be? I ask not to start a "my 1911 is better than yours" fight but to get input on someone who owns a diverse collection.

I love my 1911 and would like to collect more.....thus the question.

This is not an entry level 1911 question BTW.

In that lineup a Springer TRP is your best option. After that is probably a nicer Sig or a Colt GCNM.

Sig gets my vote over Colt, but some people disagree with that.

So: Springer TRP > Sig > Colt or Springer Loaded

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    With what I have, it's hard to say if I'd discount any of them. They all have good points and weak areas. The Sig Scorpion has the worst fit in the beavertail area, but the slide fit is far better than any of the others. The Rock is about the same in terms of the grip safety/beavertail fit as the Colt but is a bit loose in the fit of the slide. The Kimber is pretty good all around, yet has the worst finish of them all. The only two that have given me any real trouble are the Springfield and the Sig. The Springfield once ejected the firing pin hitting my chest and the Sig had issues locking the slide back on the last round. The Springfield's issue went away with a good cleaning and fresh springs and the Sig's issue went away when shooting with Wilson Combat mags.

The Rock has a short recoil spring change interval at 400 rounds when using a 22# Wolff recoil spring. I think the Kimber is 1500 rounds and the Sig, Colt and Springfield are 5000 round intervals. All are different and none are perfect, but nothing is.

I've had more trouble with the two Glocks I recently bought than I have with most of my 1911s. The big Glock had one stovepipe round which makes it officially less reliable than my Kimber. The little Glock has issues with the mags not dropping free and the trigger not resetting consistently. All of the 1911s I own have given good service, so from what I've experienced, I'd be hard pressed to discount any one of them.

Now, if you are looking for a pistol with zero shortcomings, you are probably looking at the high dollar hand fitted 1911s. Everything should be good on those.

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    I understand that for a budget gun they will all come with some issues. I'm okay with working on them and keeping them clean. Every gun is going to have it's own quirks that I will just have to get to know over time.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I've had more trouble with the two Glocks I recently bought than I have with most of my 1911s. The big Glock had one stovepipe round which makes it officially less reliable than my Kimber.]

I've yet to see a stovepipe that wasn't caused by limp-wristing, poorly charged rounds, or a mis-matched recoil spring.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've yet to see a stovepipe that wasn't caused by limp-wristing, poorly charged rounds, or a mis-matched recoil spring.

I'm not knocking Glocks. I love the pair I recently bought and they are now what I carry most often. I just like the irony of the fabled Glock Perfection coming up short when compared to the myth of compact 1911s being inferior. Granted, one stovepipe round out of hundreds is nothing to complain about, but it is one more than I've ever had with the Kimber.

My biggest beef right now is that with all of the talk of magazine capacity limitations, I feel compelled to carry the highest capacity guns I own and the 1911s have not been carried much lately. If I could find one, I'd carry a 30 round mag in my Glock 29 just to say FU to the feds.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like Colt's, and lots others including Sig and Springfield. But I pick Colt first myself.

The one Colt I own is a Delta Elite and I absolutely love the thing. I wish I could find a decent 10 round mag for it, but other than that, just holding that gun makes me smile.

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    So it is going to come down to warranty on the product. I have heard SA will pay shipping both ways (which is fantastic and saves quite a bit of cost in the event of needing it). I've also read about the quality of a RIA return but couldn't find a definitive answer on their shipping policy. I found numerous Remington R1s today in black and stainless, and a couple Taurus (not really interested in the latter at all).

Top Bottom