• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I recorded "Best Defense: Survival" to disk and have the rest of the programs programmed in so that I don't miss any.

I plan to make extra disks to send to my daughter and a friend who don't have Outdoor Channel.

I was hoping that there would be the full episodes on the site, but there aren't. It would be nice if those who don't have cable could watch it on line.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I recorded "Best Defense: Survival" to disk and have the rest of the programs programmed in so that I don't miss any.

I plan to make extra disks to send to my daughter and a friend who don't have Outdoor Channel.

I was hoping that there would be the full episodes on the site, but there aren't. It would be nice if those who don't have cable could watch it on line.

No doubt they will do it.

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    just watched best defense on outdoor channel and they are starting a series on survival in all sorts of disasters natural and man made, it was absolutely brilliant for a half hour show. in coming shows they will deal with firearms in disasaters.:yesway:

Videos | The Best Defense: Survival!

Television and Survival is an oxymoron.

At least once a week I have students who are frustrated with themselves and processes during field craft.
    The usual statement goes, "It doesn't take this long on TV!"

I completely agree with study and observation, but knowledge is useless without training and application to promote muscle memory.

It is easy to watch someone pressure-flake obsidian into points, but can you do it yourself?

It is easy to understand the principles of marksmanship, but can you consitently hit targets at 300m?

As Nike Inc. said many years ago, "Just Do It!"

"Stop the feed; kill the TV!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

At least once a week I have students who are frustrated with themselves and processes during field craft.

I completely agree with study and observation, but knowledge is useless without training and application to promote muscle memory.

It is easy to watch someone pressure-flake obsidian into points, but can you do it yourself?

It is easy to understand the principles of marksmanship, but can you consitently hit targets at 300m?

OUCH! let me rephrase that, brilliant in the context of the the "survival" topics actually being discussed. when have you seen a t.v. show discuss defense with a firearm after a disaster? never.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    There is a new series coming up called "the Day After" or something like that - about civilization after the end of the world - and the remaining people surviving a world changing event.

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    just watched best defense on outdoor channel and they are starting a series on survival in all sorts of disasters natural and man made, it was absolutely brilliant for a half hour show. in coming shows they will deal with firearms in disasaters.:yesway:

Videos | The Best Defense: Survival!
    Does anyone find it strangely/interesting that these types of shows are doing so well? So how is it that the Government remains silent about what we all believe is coming our way,(one or more of any number of scenarios), and we let them get away with it?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    There is a new series coming up called "the Day After" or something like that - about civilization after the end of the world - and the remaining people surviving a world changing event.

It is another "reality tv" type program. Somewhat scripted, but no real threats and responses.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL

"Best Defense - Survival" isn't about step by step "how to". It's about warning the people of the different types of threats we may face and gives SOME suggestions about how to get started on preps. What to watch for, etc.

BD-S is about AWARENESS. (In other words: "Get it in gear folks, you may have to go it alone" "Don't depend on someone else to take care of you")
    Not a "This is how you do it".

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I watch TV for purely entertainment lol. I would fall back on my training for real world situations :twocents:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

maybe you/we spoke too soon? and bear grylls of all people!

Utah Boy Survives Alone in Woods with TV Survival Tactics - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    The best thing about any of these tv shows is they make you think. I know, tv and thinking? Any show that interviews the real deal people about shooting(Clint Smith), leagalities(Massad Ayoob), etc.,can't be bad. This new show Best Defense, Survival, interviews real first responders to start with,about what has happened, and what could happen in a disaster.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    That was a smart boy!

As I wrote before, I believe in education plus action.

My guess is, he now has a substantial wealth of wisdom, having executed that education.

Hopefully the trail guide/parent was reprimanded for lack of oversight.

I think he did well for a 9 year old, but tearing up your rain jacket seems stupid to me. I can leave plenty of "signs" of my presence without loosing valuable clothing that could be the difference between hypothermia and just being miserable.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I would typically agree that ditching clothing is not smart but for a 9 year old lost in the woods he was doing what he thought was right. If he had as much life experience as an adult he may have made a different choice, however most adults don't take rain jackets anywhere they go.

Top Bottom